D’oh…SD card fails during Tony Northrups Canon EOS-R review

Haven't seen the video but I can't help being a bit cynical about this... Seems a very convenient topical way to bring traffic to your channel.

Haven't seen the video but I can't help being a bit cynical about this... Seems a very convenient topical way to bring traffic to your channel.

Then why not their Nikon Z6/7 video, why not the A7R2 video? why not the X-T1 video?

It's fine, Tony will have a book on the camera out next week :rolleyes:

Then why not their Nikon Z6/7 video, why not the A7R2 video? why not the X-T1 video?
WHAT? The X-T1 has a single card slot???? I'm very disappointed with........ Oh wait.. the X-T1 .. Oh that's 2 generations ago. :D

It's fine, Tony will have a book on the camera out next week :rolleyes:

Given he hasn't written any other camera books, why should he suddenly bring out one for this camera. Or am I missing some sort of in-joke?

Given he hasn't written any other camera books, why should he suddenly bring out one for this camera. Or am I missing some sort of in-joke?

A fair bit of dislike for Tony with some;)

The fact he writes photography books at all is the joke. He may not write camera specific books but he does tutorials on them, which isn't all that different, after sending no more than a week with them

I think the joke is that in the eyes of some he's Canon bashing but he'll probably have a book out soon so how can he be a Canon basher :D

Ok it's not exactly Laurel and Hardy but it should raise a half smile, maybe :D

True, but it doesn't explain the book comment :)

I just explained it above, look up Tony Northrup tutorials on YT, dozens of them, yet I feel like he's just reading the manual as he goes along

The fact he writes photography books at all is the joke. He may not write camera specific books but he does tutorials on them, which isn't all that different, after sending no more than a week with them

OK, I did actually buy one of his four books, the intro to photography one, and I thought it was pretty good for its obvious target audience. I've also found the tutorials useful if I am thinking about buying a camera and interested to see how the functions on it might work.

How long do you need to spend with a camera before you can run through how the controls work, again I think these are probably useful intros for their intended audience, (edit) who may no want to read the manual.

Not a channel I watch, so can't really comment beyond the above, just didn't follow your book comment

Last edited:
Now, I completely foxed here!

How come the SD card failed and yet we have the all the Video data from before the failure? And.... how come two (three?) other SD cards failed subsequently?

To my mind that's a camera failure and having two card slots may not have helped at all.

I'm not sure if they've had any proper time with the Nikon yet have they? The other two, I don't remember such internet frothing about the whole card thing. Maybe I'm being too cynical but it just seems like all TN's Christmases must have come at once when a card failed on him, instant youtube traffic incoming.

Surely he could have just used the 2nd card slot?

Surely he could have just used the 2nd card slot?

Ouch!

Do many dual card slot cameras actually allow video to both cards anyway? I'm not sure any of mine have ever allowed for that but must admit, I've never given it much attention.

Maybe there should be 3 card slots, one for RAW, one for jpeg and one for video or why not 4 so that there's an extra one to back up the RAW. You could just go on and on, at the end of the day this is a mid range ff mirrorless camera (an expensive one admittedly). And how many mid range camera's has Canon produced with 2 sd card slots?

Now, I completely foxed here!

How come the SD card failed and yet we have the all the Video data from before the failure? And.... how come two (three?) other SD cards failed subsequently?

To my mind that's a camera failure and having two card slots may not have helped at all.
That's why I think this whole two card slot thing is silly. I want a camera which has a WiFi or Bluetooth or whatever connection to the second camera body, which just gets the sensor readout and processes and stores it independently. I absolutely would never shoot a wedding without that kind of security. Two card slots is just a superstitious security blanket.

That's why I think this whole two card slot thing is silly. I want a camera which has a WiFi or Bluetooth or whatever connection to the second camera body, which just gets the sensor readout and processes and stores it independently. I absolutely would never shoot a wedding without that kind of security. Two card slots is just a superstitious security blanket.

Well to be fair, some people may say they prefer 2 card slots rather than relying on Wifi or Bluetooth.

Surely it comes down to what people prefer and neither is silly?

I'm going the cynical route. We all use SD cards aggressively without many cases of failure (of course, they DO happen) and one of the highlighting points surrounding these new cameras is the single SD card slot. Youtubers get creative for views, decides to highlight that by saying its Canons own fault if "only" they would have had a dual slot. Therefore, they get more views.

Loving the reasons and excuses around this SD failure.... lol :D
Bottom line, 2 SD card slots are better than 1. :)

I use mine as Jpeg/RAW. Not only is it a good back up but it makes workflow much quicker have them seperated.

Ouch!

Do many dual card slot cameras actually allow video to both cards anyway? I'm not sure any of mine have ever allowed for that but must admit, I've never given it much attention.

The Sony does, Nikon’s don’t I believe.

I don’t think using “never done that way before” as a reason not to do it in the future.

Clearly 1 card is a weak point and proven so.

early 1 card is a weak point and proven so.

Correct! :D
Individuals can defend Canon's decision to go with a single SD card all they want, bottom line is that it was a cheapskate cost cutting and marketing exercise.

Canon R "consumer body, professional price" :D

Correct! :D
Individuals can defend Canon's decision to go with a single SD card all they want, bottom line is that it was a cheapskate cost cutting and marketing exercise.

Canon R "consumer body, professional price" :D

Maybe not just cost cutting.
Adding a second slot means either adding the data bandwidth to write to both simultaneously (and we've had enough discussions on having two slots with different specs to know that in many cases manufacturers don't do this), or slowing the camera to write to one then the other.
And I'm not sure Canon woudl want to add something that might slow their headline grabbing FPS...:p

Maybe not just cost cutting.
Adding a second slot means either adding the data bandwidth to write to both simultaneously (and we've had enough discussions on having two slots with different specs to know that in many cases manufacturers don't do this), or slowing the camera to write to one then the other.
And I'm not sure Canon woudl want to add something that might slow their headline grabbing FPS...:p
:rolleyes: :D lol ermmm

I think most of you are missing the point!

The card couldn't have failed as the video is there for us all to see (prior to there being no record). Subsequently 2 or 3 more SD cards didn't record. To my mind that points to the recording/writing algorithms of the camera. In this case it wouldn't have written to any other slot either 2x, 3x etc.

How many of us have had three or more cards fail simultaneously?

What is not recorded for us in this dubious review is how Canon managed to fix it! (It is noted there was a Canon 'minder' with them) Did they have a continuous supply of SD cards. Is it a bit like having fuses fail and keep changing them until one holds?

There is a whole part to this story which is not being told! (Unless I've missed something)

Last edited:
I remember the days when Sony used to get heavily citizen for only having a single card slot.... time for Canon to face the same music.
It could have easily been avoided, 2 card slots are better than 1 in my eyes.

I remember the days when Sony used to get heavily citizen for only having a single card slot.... time for Canon to face the same music.
It could have easily been avoided, 2 card slots are better than 1 in my eyes.

Only to house/locate a spare card - if the bus or algorithm fails in the camera then no amount of spare slots will help!

Just how much redundancy do manufacturers have to build in to mitigate against some sort of failure?

Last edited:
Interesting to see all the Northrup hate (not just here but on other forums too) , I’ve always found their videos to be quite informative and they are well shot - I think what people forget about YouTube is that there’s millions of hours of content available FREE of charge, if you don’t like a particular channel, don’t watch it, there are plenty of others.....

Their content probably costs fortunes in time. It’s a full time job for them. If it’s actually true that they don’t receive hand outs from the manufacturers in terms of product then that’s even more cost. I’m sitting here on my sofa watching their content in 4K for free - why should I ever complain, even if they get facts wrong sometimes or things seem like cynical marketing of the channel.

As for the SD card slots - no Pro camera should only have one slot. That’s just stupid. Whilst cards are largely very reliable, they CAN go wrong and that’s enough to potentially screw your career, just like if I shot professionally I’d never turn up with one body!

When I gig, I don’t take one guitar and one amp solution - it’s just suicide!

The photographers I know, including me, who've had one card fail in camera would disagree.

But then I've only shot 500 weddings so what do I know.

It's not silly, its better to have 2 card slots than 1. Canon have failed and now this video makes it even more apparent. Maybe it the body was priced accordingly to its actual specifications some may overlook the lack of second card slot. :D

The card couldn't have failed as the video is there for us all to see (prior to there being no record). Subsequently 2 or 3 more SD cards didn't record. To my mind that points to the recording/writing algorithms of the camera. In this case it wouldn't have written to any other slot either 2x, 3x etc.

How many of us have had three or more cards fail simultaneously?

What is not recorded for us in this dubious review is how Canon managed to fix it! (It is noted there was a Canon 'minder' with them) Did they have a continuous supply of SD cards. Is it a bit like having fuses fail and keep changing them until one holds?

There is a whole part to this story which is not being told! (Unless I've missed something)

You did miss a crucial part.

He didn't say 3 CARDS, it was 3 CLIPS. One card, 3 clips. 4m34s in.

So the card was faulty. He didn't know whilst shooting (which is often the case). A second card may have mitigated against that (unless that card was also faulty but that's unlikely because, you know, cards don't fail anymore. Except when they do).

Last edited:
It's not silly, its better to have 2 card slots than 1. Canon have failed and now this video makes it even more apparent. Maybe it the body was priced accordingly to its actual specifications some may overlook the lack of second card slot. :D

That's the thing with both the Canon and the Nikon cameras. They're both fine cameras, just overpriced for what they are compared to Sony.

I think you'd have to be die hard fan boy to buy either the Canon or Nikon over the Sony if you wanted full frame mirrorless.

That's the thing with both the Canon and the Nikon cameras. They're both fine cameras, just overpriced for what they are compared to Sony.

I think you'd have to be die hard fan boy to buy either the Canon or Nikon over the Sony if you wanted full frame mirrorless.
I have to agree.
I was hoping Nikon would bright out a Sony A9 killer..... but they can do this in the future. :)

Snip:

Exactly, there's not much point in wearing a belt and braces if a bulldog has just ripped the backside out of your trousers! :whistle:

Last edited:
Back