D’oh…SD card fails during Tony Northrups Canon EOS-R review

I'm speaking generally here, but do any others think that quite a few internet reviews and tutorials are far longer than they need to be, with people waffling on about random and tenuously connected stuff instead of getting to the point? I'll say one thing for Kai's reviews, he does generally stick to the point and any 'fill' is usually quite pleasing and watchable (and/or amusing) cinematography overdubbed with some reasonably likeable music, not a load of waffle about "do you remember when we did that shoot and I used a so and so, and such and such happened, and he said, then you said, then I said... etc'. I think some reviews and tutorials end up feeling more like a TV shopping channel, to the extent where I'm thinking 'Just get on with it'! :banghead:
Kind of like the Canon R promotional video :D lol

I'm speaking generally here, but do any others think that quite a few internet reviews and tutorials are far longer than they need to be, with people waffling on about random and tenuously connected stuff instead of getting to the point? I'll say one thing for Kai's reviews, he does generally stick to the point and any 'fill' is usually quite pleasing and watchable (and/or amusing) cinematography overdubbed with some reasonably likeable music, not a load of waffle about "do you remember when we did that shoot and I used a so and so, and such and such happened, and he said, then you said, then I said... etc'. I think some reviews and tutorials end up feeling more like a TV shopping channel, to the extent where I'm thinking 'Just get on with it'! :banghead:

Your sentences are extremely long too :)

People call Kai the 'Asian Jeremy Clarkson' - I hate that s***e! He's nowhere even close to being as arrogant or ignorant as Clarkson, and that's a shame :D He's got a bit of an ego, but he's not quite smug enough for it to really work. He comes off as a bit of a clown at times, fumbling with gear as if he's never held a camera, I like that he doesn't use straps though, nor do I. It was better when him and Lok were with DigiRev, their new presenters are pants! But on the solo channels, Kai tries to be more of a vlogger, he's watching way too much Casey Neistat, we don't need camera reviews done on skate boards. Lok is a bit lost without him on his channel, he's hard to understand and you don't have Kai taking the p*** out of him, they were a good duo .... unlike the wooden Nortrups

Turn the volume all the way down and cover right side of screen :D

.... :LOL: :banana: :LOL: I see what you did there - Very subtle :D but she does talk a lot of sense if you ever listen.

Snip:
I like that he doesn't use straps though, nor do I.
Kai does use straps sometimes... I remember him using a bright yellow Nikon strap on a Canon 1DX II in one lens test review he did last year. Most likely just to wind those people up who have to have the matching 'hat and bag' to go with their cameras. I thought it was quite funny. :D

Snip:
Kai does use straps sometimes... I remember him using a bright yellow Nikon strap on a Canon 1DX II in one lens test review he did last year. Most likely just to wind those people up who have to have the matching 'hat and bag' to go with their cameras. I thought it was quite funny. :D

That is the very reason he dies it :D but rarely, generally he doesn't use one at all. It makes many viewers nervous, as he's very casual with the gear too, he's dropped many over the years [again, sometimes on purpose]

I like the old TCS crew, now DPR but they seem to be continuing to do their videos in their own style. I think my problem with the Northrups is they come across more like Tv breakfast show presenters. And I hate breakfast shows.

Agreed, but Chelsea is very nice eye candy :D

A cringey youtuber who loves herself a little too much and built her audience by doing vlogs from her bed and the bath. These days pretends she's a serious photographer
ah, nothing to see then... if I want eye candy Mrs WW will do nicely :D

.... :LOL: :banana: :LOL: I see what you did there - Very subtle :D but she does talk a lot of sense if you ever listen.
Absolutely true. I have been watching more and more of their videos the past months than the years before combined.

If you’ve ever watched/suffered a camera learning YouTube of Mr Northrup he ,at least on lower budget cameras advises get a larger capacity but cheaper card.
Perhaps he got those cards at a Minnie mart sale :D

If you’ve ever watched/suffered a camera learning YouTube of Mr Northrup he ,at least on lower budget cameras advises get a larger capacity but cheaper card.
Perhaps he got those cards at a Minnie mart sale :D

They pretty much act out the manual that people are too lazy to read. Clever strat, but I'd still fall asleep a minute in

They pretty much act out the manual that people are too lazy to read. Clever strat, but I'd still fall asleep a minute in
How many basic question have been asked that could have been avoided if they had folloved the RTFM advise in the first place. Peoples laziness creates a market and the Northtrups delivers to that market. Ive even seen people saying they wont read the manual but rather get the info from youtube

How many basic question have been asked that could have been avoided if they had folloved the RTFM advise in the first place. Peoples laziness creates a market and the Northtrups delivers to that market. Ive even seen people saying they wont read the manual but rather get the info from youtube

I get a lot of info from YT, just not from him, like I said, I'd be asleep in a minute I find him so dreadfully boring. I know he has his fanboys, they do have over 1M subs, doesn't mean I have to like him.

Some people take visual instruction with a demo and examples far better than the (often abysmally written) manuals. Seems fair enough to me.

Some people take visual instruction with a demo and examples far better than the (often abysmally written) manuals. Seems fair enough to me.
Yes offcource. I like that too sometimes but why then go ask the basic questions on a forum?

Yes offcource. I like that too sometimes but why then go ask the basic questions on a forum?

Well you just have, so you tell us! :p

We like to hear from supposed like minded people I guess, and many of these youtubers are just self proclaimed 'experts' to begin with. They don't always have the answers.

I get a lot of info from YT, just not from him, like I said, I'd be asleep in a minute I find him so dreadfully boring. I know he has his fanboys, they do have over 1M subs, doesn't mean I have to like him.
Yes it does and when they reach 1.5M you must kneel in the dirt and worship them :ROFLMAO:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you just have, so you tell us! :p

We like to hear from supposed like minded people I guess, and many of these youtubers are just self proclaimed 'experts' to begin with. They don't always have the answers.
Seems I've misplace that manual. Can you send me another copy?

I had to laugh when he was doing the D3300 camera he said no need to switch the camera off the battery is good for maybe a month,then a a few years after he was doing the D3400 with a stated shot life of about400 more and he said the batteries don’t last long so get a spare :D ok nitpicking I know but struck me as a biggie at the time

it might have something to do with this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42716393

it looks like they are padding out videos to meet the criteria

Ego is alive and well in You Tube land and they are mostly way too long.

I like the Northrups. I believe him when he says his card failed. Enough conspiracies in the world already and I don't have the energy to invent any more. He gave Nikon Z a really hard time in his initial impression review so he's not singling Canon out. If anything, I'd say he's a Canon fan.

Actually, I don't mind most of the you tube regulars. The only one that really gets my goat is the guy from "Three Blind Men and an Elephant". Talk about ego!! It isn't his content but his delivery just irritates me beyond belief with the pretentious pauses and studied actions done in an attempt to add gravitas. Yuck! He's probably a nice guy in real life but I can't watch his videos.

One you tube guy I've only recently found is in "Camera Conspiracies". He's just a young guy and he talks about video in which I have no interest. But he's a natural IMHO. Very good.

Last edited:
One you tube guy I've only recently found is in "Camera Conspiracies". He's just a young guy and he talks about video in which I have no interest. But he's a natural IMHO. Very good.

I've posted him on here before, he's a funny guy, love the dead-pan humour. But he sure is dragging out this camera choice mission he set out on, I think he moans about something on all of them just so he can keep the search going :D But I agree, rather watch ten of his videos in a row than 1 minute of Jared Polin - now there's an obnoxious dick. I don't think any of these are more knowledgeable than the rest of us, some even less so from what I've seen [with mis-information, clearly reading the manual while doing 'tutorials', overly pushing things a lot of us don't need like 4K in a million different formats etc ... and giving cons for lack of]

Last edited:
I've posted him on here before, he's a funny guy, love the dead-pan humour. But he sure is dragging out this camera choice mission he set out on, I think he moans about something on all of them just so he can keep the search going :D But I agree, rather watch ten of his videos in a row than 1 minute of Jared Polin - now there's an obnoxious dick. I don't think any of these are more knowledgeable than the rest of us, some even less so from what I've seen [with mis-information, clearly reading the manual while doing 'tutorials', overly pushing things a lot of us don't need like 4K in a million different formats etc ... and giving cons for lack of]

Dude seems a stoner.

Dude seems a stoner.

His main channel is or was a vegan channel, he is also a comedian. But yeah he's a bit 'odd' and all the better for it IMO, he's not trying to win you over with pearly whites and high end clinical production

His main channel is or was a vegan channel, he is also a comedian. But yeah he's a bit 'odd' and all the better for it IMO, he's not trying to win you over with pearly whites and high end clinical production

dunno bout him, seems as bad in the opposite direction. meh youtube ppl.

I only found him a couple of days ago and he made me laugh. I really liked him. Didn't know about his other career but I suppose it explains his "vegetable police" t-shirt

He might be a stoner. Sounds like my kind of guy :)

dunno bout him, seems as bad in the opposite direction. meh youtube ppl.

He's not really for the crowd on here though, , he's just expressing what he wants, he makes no claim to be a teacher, unlike the Northys and Afro

I only found him a couple of days ago and he made me laugh. I really liked him. Didn't know about his other career but I suppose it explains his "vegetable police" t-shirt

He might be a stoner. Sounds like my kind of guy :)

Yeah that's the one, Vegetable Police is his main channel, think he only started the second to keep his gear lust separate from the Vegan stuff. He's not even vegan anymore, he's on the carnivore diet lol, he's a mess, but he admits it :D

Last edited:
It's probably what appeals about him. He's not some corporate drone bought and paid for by one of the camera companies. He genuinely seems to be having a laugh and enjoying poking a bit of fun in a semi-serious way. As I say I have no interest in video but I'm keeping a look out for him. I have no vegetarian credentials either but I like off - the - wall characters. I mean the naturally off-the-wall ones, not the ones that studied at university to be off-the - wall :)

Back