D&P

Name
Colin
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been a camera user ( I hesitate to use the term photographer ;) ) for over 40 of my 61 years and yet I have never seen a film developed and printed 'in the flesh' so to speak. I have never had the opportunity to have a set up at home to learn myself and still do not. How can I get to actually witness this ( to me ) amazing process ?? Is there anywhere in the Midlands where D&P is done in the old fashioned way rather than by machine ? I am willing to pay for the priviledge.

See if a friendly mod will move this to film and conventional, it'll likely get more responses.

moved

of course you COULD visit the MEGA-MEET this weekend - the Film and Conventional guys are heading there mob-handed with lots of chemicals and glassware, and I think that there could be some demo's of "the black arts" going on...

moved

of course you COULD visit the MEGA-MEET this weekend - the Film and Conventional guys are heading there mob-handed with lots of chemicals and glassware, and I think that there could be some demo's of "the black arts" going on...
^^^WHS^^^ Get yourself down to Whipsnade next weekend and you can experience the magic in an afternoon.

Printing might be a problem (unless someone's got a press devving van!) though.

It's a truley magical experience

Agreed, it's a lot of fun. I can easily spend all day in the darkroom.

I have been a camera user ( I hesitate to use the term photographer ;) ) for over 40 of my 61 years and yet I have never seen a film developed and printed 'in the flesh' so to speak. I have never had the opportunity to have a set up at home to learn myself and still do not. How can I get to actually witness this ( to me ) amazing process ?? Is there anywhere in the Midlands where D&P is done in the old fashioned way rather than by machine ? I am willing to pay for the priviledge.

While printing requires more equipment and a dark space, keep in mind that development does not. I develop my black and white film in the spare bathroom. It's pretty cheap and straightforward.

For printing, I just take those film rolls to a public darkroom in the city centre to which I have a membership. Perhaps there's something similar near you that offers space, equipment, and/or tuition?

Check and see here: http://www.localdarkroom.com/

Thank you to everyone for your responses. I had been considering going to the mega meet this weekend anyway so that may well be the decider !! As for public darkrooms, I never imagined such a facility might exist but, having checked the link you provided skysh4rk, I see there is one reasonably close to me in Bham so I must go and check that out sometime.
Thanks again to you all ! :)

Agreed, it's a lot of fun. I can easily spend all day in the darkroom.

While printing requires more equipment and a dark space,
In my youth, in a galaxy far away, I used to print 6x9 negatives in a frame in sunlight on the bathroom window sill using daylight/printing out paper. Maybe such a process is still possible?

I'm a couple of hours up the M6 in South Manchester and have a darkroom setup here if you are in the area welcome to go through it with you.

I'm a couple of hours up the M6 in South Manchester and have a darkroom setup here if you are in the area welcome to go through it with you.
That is extremely kind of you Steve and I will keep that in mind :)

Back