D200 problem - any ideas?

Hacker

TPer Emeritus
Name
Colin
Edit My Images
Yes
I just checked my D200 in readiness for a job on Monday but unfortunately it won't fire when a lens is fitted. If I take the lens off I can activate the shutter but as soon as I put a lens on - nothing. I have tried it with the 17-55mm, the 10.5mm and the 50mm and the same happens each time.

I have cleaned the contacts with a pencil eraser but it has made no difference.

Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Not wishing to insult your intelligence Colin but, Canonwise, there's a custom function that allows or prevents shutter actuation without a card inserted....Nikon, not sure whether it's the same or close to.

Bob

No problem Bob and you'd have a hard time finding any intelligence to insult. :D I've checked that along with a full camera reset, removing the batteries etc.

It's bound to be something simple but it's driving me nuts, and it would be on a Bank Holiday weekend. :bang: :bonk:

I dunno man, I can't think of many instances you won't allready have checked that would cause this fault, other than a body problem.
No shutter operation with lens attatched is a bit weird to be a cards and contacts fault.

Sorry bud, never had this problem with mine, could you let us know what it is when you suss it out please?

I had a play with the CSM AF switch at the front of the camera and found it would fire in MF mode.

I've just been into the menus and changed the AF-C Mode Priority from Focus to FPS Rate+AF and it is working fine. In AF-S Mode on the menu I changed it from Focus to Release and everything is now okay.

Thanks for all the help - I better go and read the manual to see what these mean. I can't remember changing any of these but one of the kids was playing with the camera a week ago.

Panic over!

Kids are great. So easy to blame.:LOL::LOL::LOL:
Glad you got it sorted Colin.

I needz to get me some kidz..
I reckon a man can go a long way in the gear aquisition game, just using kidz

*shoots off to WANTED section*

I've just been into the menus and changed the AF-C Mode Priority from Focus to FPS Rate+AF and it is working fine. In AF-S Mode on the menu I changed it from Focus to Release and everything is now okay.

AF-C + FPS Rate + AF means that when you are shooting in CL / CH modes the camera will only release the shutter when the subject is in focus.

Regarding the AF-S mode. You are far better leaving that on AF. Otherwise the camera will concentrate more on releasing the shutter than focusing on the subject.

If it still doesnt work, then it might be worthwhile visiting a retailer and buying a D40 to supplement yourself on Monday.

The D200 is highly customizable. I have set mine up on all A B C D options depending on what I am doing. Works really well.

(y)

glad all is well mate..

md(y)

Back