D200 & Sigma 120-300 f2.8 Problem.

Edit My Images
Yes
I've been out playing with my new Sigma 120-300.... Cracking lens indeed but.... The battery indicator came on after a short time so I thought that I had put in a flat one. I changed the battery and about 10 mins later the low battery indicator came on again. Autofocus stops, shutter stops etc.
Now, I turned the camera off and on again and hey presto full power indication again. Seems to last another while then the battery shows flat again. The same trick, and it shows full again.
using the battery grip the same thing happens and it takes very little to replenish the "used" batteries on the charger.
I've seen a thread at some time that mention this lens but not, I think, this problem.

Any ideas Guy's?

Try cleaning the contacts on the lens and on the body. Also clean the camera lens mount as that acts as an earth contact to the lens.

Thanks Gareth........ Doing that as we speak. I've also found threads on the web now that refer and it seems that it may well be a contact problem and may be sorted by using a vinyl gasket, so I'm investigating that too.

Thanks
David.

I've never heard of the vinyl gasket. Keep us updated if you find any more details.

G.

There are problems with Sigma HSM lenses and the D200.

To our valued customers,

Sigma HSM equipped lenses do not operate when the "AF operation button" on the back of the body of Nikon "D200" digital SLR camera (recently introduced to the market by Nikon) is used. We have determined that this problem is caused by a firmware "bug" in our HSM equipped lenses.

We deeply regret any inconvenience this may cause our customers who own D200 cameras and we are committed to correcting this situation. We will start updating the firmware of these lenses free of charge in the near future.

I don't know if it could cause your problem but it may be worth giving Sigma a call

*sorry if you'd spotted this already

I had same problem.. when using third party batteries... didnt seal and damp got into battery chamber making it switch off when it felt like it... put real canon battery in and same problem cus damp already in.. took me yonks to figure out what the problem was..

:cautious: hmmm, maybe worth checking up on, though that statement reads as if it was released not long after the D200, so a few years ago now - would have though newer lenses would have been sorted :shrug:

The latest D200 Firmware has addressed this problem apparently - my 100-300mm f/4 works flawlessly... Your original problem sounds like the lens is draining the battery, maybe with a constant draw of power? Does this happen with any other lenses?

My advice would be to send it to Sigma for a look at. Won't cost you anything if it's under warranty

Has cleaning the contacts not fixed it ?

The latest D200 Firmware has addressed this problem apparently - my 100-300mm f/4 works flawlessly... Your original problem sounds like the lens is draining the battery, maybe with a constant draw of power? Does this happen with any other lenses?

My advice would be to send it to Sigma for a look at. Won't cost you anything if it's under warranty

Yes, it occured to me as I was drifting off last night that my sigma 10-20 is an HSM lens and not had any problems with that on the D200

The battery is not actually being drained...... Cleaning contacts did nothing and all other lenses are spot on.

Still no reply from across the pond.

David.

I had this problem with a non dg version of the 100-300mm f4..worked fine after I turned it off then backon but every so often the low battery indicator light would come up..I returned it to the supplier and they ended up sending it back to sigma to get problem sorted..not sure if this happens with just non dg lenses or not..

Back