D2X or D300

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
I am considering getting a second body, which will act as my main camera with my current D200 acting as backup.

I mainly shoot weddings, landscapes and wildlife. I have noticed the prices of second hand D2X's are going for less than a grand on fleabay which is on a par with a new D300. So, what would you go for and why?

Much as I would like to invest in some sexy new glass with the money, I feel that to provide a more reliable service to my clients (particularly as I am doing more weddings now) a second body should take precedence.

Any thoughts and opinions?

TIA,

Alan

Alan, I have never used a D2X, i have however used a D200 for a while and have very recently bought a D300, the 300 is light years ahead of the 200 in terms of IQ.I would imagine it will be the same over the D2x, the technological advance seems huge in the 300.

Just IMO as a keen amature.....(y)

So, what would you go for and why?

I went through the same decision and ended up deciding on the D300. When you compare features, ergonomics, IQ etc etc, the D300 wins on most points. The only thing that the D2X(s) won on for me was the pro body and possibly slightly better weather sealed. But in the end I decided on the D300 and im very happy with the decision. Having sad that, when you factor in a battery grip, battery, charger etc the price does jump a fair bit.

I have both, and whilst the D300 is faster, it does lose out a bit with the shadow noise. Haven't had my D300 too long and haven't managed to do any definitive tests yet, but certainly the D300 shadow noise irritates me more. That said, the images are great when not viewed at 100%, so make of that what you will.

That said, if you're shooting low light in a church, then the D300 is the way to go as it will happily do ISO 1600, 3200 if well exposed, pushing the D200 past 800 or the D2x past 400 is asking for trouble.

Thanks for the replies :)

barneyrubble, is the noise above ISO 400 that bad on the D2X? I often shoot on auto ISO on the D200, but I guess with the D2X that would be a no, no. :(

Also is the weather sealing on the D300 adequate for most situations? (assuming I wont be doing a three month shoot in a rainforest for National Geographic just yet :D)

Regards,

Alan

Back