D3/D700 Noise @ 1600iso+

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
This could just be a lens issue, I've just sent my Nikkor 70-200 AF-s VR I to Nikon for a full overhaul so the issue may correct itself, but.....

Does anyone else/has anyone else had issues with what seems to be excessive noise above an iso of 1600? So much so that it loses an overall sharpness?

Affects the D700 mainly but occasionally seen on the D3 too.

This could just be a lens issue, I've just sent my Nikkor 70-200 AF-s VR I to Nikon for a full overhaul so the issue may correct itself, but.....

Does anyone else/has anyone else had issues with what seems to be excessive noise above an iso of 1600? So much so that it loses an overall sharpness?

Affects the D700 mainly but occasionally seen on the D3 too.
Think they use the same sensor Paul, ive never ever had a single issue with noise affecting sharpness as such, could it possibly be that if youre shooting under poor conditions which require high ISO's the AF accuracy/performance could be affected slightly.

Ive seen this happen, not under floodlights but more during late winter afternoon shooting with no lights and cloudy conditions, floodlights obviously throw light onto the subject and the playing strip retains it's contrast but under failing natural light under overcast conditions the playing strip loses contrast and any camera will have difficulty nailing the focus.

Are you talking about shooting under lights or failing natural light.

Hi Paul, I was shooting around 3200/6400 towards the end of our match yesterday afternoon with my D300s and they seem to have come out OK.

But when I had my D5000 I tried the high ISO noise reduction and they came out like they had plastic surgery and so I had to throw most of them away.

Have you checked your settings. Just a wild guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
You shooting raw or jpeg?

Sent from my iPhone using TP Forums

You shooting raw or jpeg?

Sent from my iPhone using TP Forums

JPEG mostly but looking through 7000+ images this morning also seems to be affecting RAW images.
That said think it is a soft focus on the 70-200, 80% shot on that lens under falling light or floodlights are slightly soft.

I'll send the D700 in for a service too this week just to be safe.

Back