D3 or D700?

Thanks mate. Tbh, I've made no definite decision yet. Its not out of the question I'll pick up another D700 until the new bodies come out. Tempted by a D7000 as a temporary body too. Maybe a 7d as a temporary measure too.

Wow - didn't expect to get so much response to this thread - thanks!!!
Well it turns out the guy is now not selling his D3 - boo hoo. But... as I've the money now at hand I am going to keep an eye out for a D3 or D700 as a lot seem to have good words on it. I have tried the D3 (had it for a few days), yes it is very heavy and funny I had it at my camera club last night and all the guys thought it would be too heavy for me!!! Will just have to build more muscle! I am also going to buy the 24-70 2.8 lens to compliment, so will let you guys know what I purchase hopefully within the next few weeks!!!!

Wow - didn't expect to get so much response to this thread - thanks!!!
Well it turns out the guy is now not selling his D3 - boo hoo. But... as I've the money now at hand I am going to keep an eye out for a D3 or D700 as a lot seem to have good words on it. I have tried the D3 (had it for a few days), yes it is very heavy and funny I had it at my camera club last night and all the guys thought it would be too heavy for me!!! Will just have to build more muscle! I am also going to buy the 24-70 2.8 lens to compliment, so will let you guys know what I purchase hopefully within the next few weeks!!!!

Lisa have you held the 24-70 2.8 yet, that is a heavy piece of metal added to the camera body. Feels like a brick in its own right but you will soon get used to it. It is a dream combo tho(y)

This weight thing - within reason, it's both a good and a bad thing.

It's very bad when you've got bag full of heavy cameras and lenses to lug around, but when you're actually using them, all that disappears. Bigger cameras and lenses are easier to hold, the weight is spread over a larger area and a bit of mass helps stability and dampen any vibration. With the really big long stuff, let a monopod take the strain.

I hate carrying beefy stuff, but love using it (y)

The right camera strap helps too - get an op-tech pro - really does make these bodies feel lighter. :)

Lisa have you held the 24-70 2.8 yet, that is a heavy piece of metal added to the camera body. Feels like a brick in its own right but you will soon get used to it. It is a dream combo tho(y)

yes the guy who was selling the D3 at 1800 was also selling the 24-70 2.8 for 650 so I had been using it the last week!! It is indeed very heavy but I just loved the results from it.

Lisa, don't be put off by the size and weight, it's only a problem if you let it be. I use twin D700's at weddings and my bag weighs 4 1/2 stone. I'm 5'3" and I don't let it get to me.

I used a 1DsII for two years and now a D3 and it's fine. Get used to holding it properly and get your stance and handling (ooohh er!) right and yes a good strap helps to spread the weight.

If I can handle these for 12-14 hours at a time then anyone can!

Lisa, £650 seems a little cheap for a 24-70. I know we all love a bargain, but mine recently cost £900 and I dont think i gave seen one in good nick sell for less than £850.

Lisa, £650 seems a little cheap for a 24-70. I know we all love a bargain, but mine recently cost £900 and I dont think i gave seen one in good nick sell for less than £850.

Better get it bought then :D

I know I thought 650 was very cheap as well, but the lens was working perfectly and I got a few of my prof camera friends to have a look at it and they thought it was great! But unfortunately he has decided not to see that lens also!!! On the look out not for a 24-70 also. Is it better to buy a new body and second hand lens or vise versa????

No rear info panel (now on main LCD)
•95 percent coverage, 0.72x viewfinder (to D3's 100 percent, 0.7x)
•Smaller battery, plus uses D300's MB-D10 battery pack
•Expanded Function button options (macro for any camera menu item)
•Less robust shutter (150,000 cycles, like D300)
•Single CF slot
•Minor menu and control differences

Nikon impressed us all with its D300 and D3 bodies, but many believed a combination of the two could yield something even more special. Now there's no need to wonder. By essentially squeezing the D3’s full frame and high ISO quality into the D300’s more portable and affordable form factor, Nikon’s done just that with the new D700.

I'm of the opinion that buying lenses new is the best way to go. I've had some bad experiences buying used.

No rear info panel (now on main LCD)
•95 percent coverage, 0.72x viewfinder (to D3's 100 percent, 0.7x)
•Smaller battery, plus uses D300's MB-D10 battery pack
•Expanded Function button options (macro for any camera menu item)
•Less robust shutter (150,000 cycles, like D300)
•Single CF slot
•Minor menu and control differences

Nikon impressed us all with its D300 and D3 bodies, but many believed a combination of the two could yield something even more special. Now there's no need to wonder. By essentially squeezing the D3’s full frame and high ISO quality into the D300’s more portable and affordable form factor, Nikon’s done just that with the new D700.

Just out of interest what camera do you use??

go d3, i couldn't choose between the 2, and love my d3... had a play with a d700 tonight and am so glad i got the d3

gripped this or that gripped this or thatgripped this or thatgripped this or thatgripped this or that gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that
gripped this or that

I prefer the d3 as it sits in my hands better. The buttons work for me better to. Obiously the weather sealing is a good for me as I take a lot of marine photos.

I also find the apeture and shutter lock a great feature.

The d700 with a 70-200 feels unbalanced, but with a grip it feels great.

That's why

Well I have just ordered the Nikon D700 and 24-70 2.8 lens - fitted more in my budget! Can't wait until it arrives!!!!

I'm sure you won't be disappointed, I bought a s/h one off Photography Ireland site and love it to bits, there is no way back once you have used a full frame Nikon. I have a fair few older lenses from my film days, but treated it to a Nikon 24-120D "street sweeper" from Gray's, the lens performed wonderfully down in Waterford for the Tall Ships. The only slight downside is the weight:LOL:

I don't know where you are in Ireland, I'm in North Cork, Limerick, Tipperary triangle!

The very best of luck with your "new baby":)

I prefer the d3 as it sits in my hands better. The buttons work for me better to. Obiously the weather sealing is a good for me as I take a lot of marine photos.

I also find the apeture and shutter lock a great feature.

The d700 with a 70-200 feels unbalanced, but with a grip it feels great.

That's why
ok feare enough, how do you find moving focus points in portrait mode ans sensor cleaning, and the d700 is weather sealed.

Back