EdinburghGary

Reply not Report
Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,

I will be reading the manuals over tea, unless I get lucky here :D

Without purchasing the Nikon Commander Unit, am I able to use my existing SB600 & SB900 as two light sources in one exposure?

For example, I bounce the SB9000 off a brolly, and have the SB600 off to a side?

Also, any idea how I attach said flashes to a tripod?

Thanks for any advice :D

PS - I REALLY HATE MANUALS!!

Also, any idea how I attach said flashes to a tripod?

Cant help with anything, except that my flash (canon) has a stand with a screw mount on the bottom same as the camera for fixing to a tripod.

That might be of some use to you, and kills another minute for me before i go home :D

You can trigger the SB600 with the SB900 which would need to be on camera with a D3.

To attach the flash to a tripod (you mean "lightstand" ;)) use the wee stand that came with one of the flashes - they have female tripod screws on their bases...

The flashes should come with a base stand (AS-19) that has a brass thread for attaching to a tripod... or just put them on a BIG pile of books!! :)

Go into MENU > CUSTOM SETTING MENU > E3 - BUILT-IN FLASH and select commander mode. Then set the flashes as slaves, use the pop-up flash to fire the external flashes and Robert's your Father's brother :)

On the '900 should work like a SB800: you select wireless mode by holding down the select button for a few seconds and then you scroll right to the icon with the flash icons with the squigly lines and select remote.

You can control the power outputs of the flashes wirelessly from the camera. make sure they're set to the right channel etc.

Gary you would have to have one of them on camera to act as the commander.

Nigel

Thanks everone, the D3 has no built in flash which sucks, but I will have a play after Tea. Nigel I know you helped me before, all gone :help:

Just to clarify, with this system, BOTH flashes will be seen in the exposure, IE, the one on the camera is not JUST a trigger for the other?

I'm pritty sure you can use one as a slave and have the other connected to the camera by an off cord flash cable, that gives you the freedom to move it around. One of the flashes has to be connected to the camera so that the camera and flashes are working together. HTH :)

Sc-28 or SC-29 (with af light) are the cords needed, or 3 Pocket Wizards ;)

Gary, I haven't had a play with the 900 yet but I presume you can have it in Commander or Slave mode, if it is in Commander you should be able to configure it so only the pre-flash is fired but obviously you will only have one external gun firing. You might want to look at the SU-800 which is the Commander module that sits on your hot shoe and allows you to control your flash guns, the menu and functionality is easy and it is a useful bit of kit. However the range is limited and if you want to use the guns at anything over about 25 feet or without line of sight (it works on IR) you will need something like the Pocketwizards but you will lose iTTL.

There is a new product on the market called the Radio Popper and that is a device that reads the IR signal from the Commander unit (be it an SB-800/900 or SU-800), converts it to a radio signal and when the receiver picks up the signal it converts it back to IR allowing you to retain full iTTL control and enjoying the benfits of longer range. I do not know if the frequencies they use are suitable for this country and they do look a bit Heath Robinson with fibre optic cables and gaffer tape but the results are supposed to be impressive.

Hope this helps.

Back