D3 Shutter Replacement Suggestions Please

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

My Nikon D3 has a high shutter count (ex-rental when I bought it) and in anticipation of it packing up would be interested to hear of suggestions for a replacement apart from Nikon. Berkshire based but visit London and its suburbs quite frequently. Obviously cost important as money may be better off put towards another camera.

Thanks

Peter

Assume you mean shutter replacement?
Get a quote from Fixation :)

Doh!! :( You are correct of course I meant Shutter replacement. I have been into Fixation for something else. I guess the part(s) would be the same price wherever you go. I was horrified at the labour charge that Nikon were quoting for some other work but maybe its fairly consistent?

Thanks

peter

shutter should not be that much labour, just ring them (Nikon)

Fixation are pretty good and competitive.

Take your camera to Sendean near Farringdon station 5min walk.They replace my shutter on a D7100 for £240 in April.It was done in 72hrs.

I had a shutter replaced on a D3 and a D3S direct from Nikon, D3 was about £320 and D3S was about £260 but this was a few years ago

Ask them to go careful when removing the rubbers and to clean and re use them if possible, saves about £60 if they can, they didnt on mine but i know of others who have

Last edited:
Thanks to all who replied. I'm curious to investigate Sendean in terms of price and warranty. I assume "shapeshifter" was happy with the work. I will get pricing from Nikon and Fixation anyway

Cheers all.

View attachment 43268 View attachment 43269 I would not recomend Fixation at all. They said that the sensor on the D7100 was damaged and needed replacing. It looked fine to me but they were insistant it needed replacing. So I took it to Sendean a proper shop on the street with cameras in the window and the technicain in full view working on the cameras they said there was nothing wrong with the sensor at all. Fixation is an unmarked single door behind a petrol station with no trading sign at all. There is an A4 peice of paper stuck inside the glass saying " if door locked please ring bell!. 75% of the pro gear on sale inside was sold with no warranty! at a camera repair shop?. I had always use Sendean for 30 yrs for my repairs but thought I would give Fixation a try -no way!.

Just go to Sendean and you will not be disapointed. If you want you will be able to speak to a technicain who you will be able to see working on the cameras behind the counter.
Fixation wanted £439.62 to repair the camera by replacing a sensor I did not need.
Sendean repaired the camera for £288.00 without replacing the sensor including 90 day warranty.

View attachment 43270 View attachment 43271

As an update Sendean have just quoted £600 + vat for a shutter replacement :( being £300 for the part and £300 for the labour. It must take them several days to replace it or they have extremely well paid technicians. Will get a quote from Fixation and Nikon.

Cheers

I certainly wouldn't rule out Fixation due to the previous post.

I have been using them since they were the other side of the railway line in an even more hard to get to building.

The lack of obvious shop frontage isn't an issue for me, or the very many other pros who use them in fact I'd rather it didn't look like it housed hundreds of thousands of pounds of kit (including sometimes mine). Some of the kit is sold on commission for photographers and is I understand without a shop warranty which makes sense. All of the kit owned and sold by Fixation comes with a warranty, but would be more expensive on a like for like - you pays your money etc....

The reality is if you have a 30yr relationship with a shop then you'd be mad not to stick with them. I tend to use Nikon UK / NPS direct now rather than Fixation but not for any relevant reason. When I was Canon I used Fixation in preference to CPS/Borehamwood.

But they got it completely wrong with my camera it never needed a sensor at all. There is no way they should have made a mistake like they did with my camera. I even challenged them but they were insistant the sensor needed replacing.

The point about not having a sign outside due to having expensive equipment inside could be valid as the area is concealed away from the main road.

I like to know how they tested the sensor and what facts they had to say it needed replacing. What machine do you use to test a sensor?

Last edited:
But they got it completely wrong with my camera it never needed a sensor at all. There is no way they should have made a mistake like they did with my camera. I even challenged them but they were insistant the sensor needed replacing.

The point about not having a sign outside due to having expensive equipment inside could be valid as the area is concealed away from the main road.

I like to know how they tested the sensor and what facts they had to say it needed replacing. What machine do you use to test a sensor?
The fact that you burned through the shutter whilst photographing the eclipse means it's likely that the sensor got burned as well. Have you looked in with a loupe?

I don't really see the relevance of fixation's lack of frontage.

They've never been anything other the superb. The only reason I tend to use Nikon Kingston for preference is it takes me a little less time to get there

:plus1: for Fixation.

Despite being somewhat hard to find first time (the pro who first put me onto them just said look for Tesco and then on the opposite side of the road is a 1930/50s white building, thats it, but don't be deterred by the outward appearance). I wasn't and it would be my first port of call for something like this. (unless it was a warranty issue, in which case Nikon are pretty fast and recommendable too.

This is the first negative I have heard about them, from many people who use them that I know. (I thought at one stage Canon outsourced to them)?

Sent it to Nikon, but this was off the fixation site

Screenshot_2017-07-03-16-32-50.png

I have used this guy a couple of times for various repairs. I know of others who have used his services too.
A really helpful guy who keeps you updated every step of the way.

I wouldn't hesitate to use him again.

http://www.cam-rep.co.uk/

Spending many hundreds of pounds in anticipation of it breaking ? Are you crazy.

Some people got over 1 million shots on those

Back