D3 v D3x

Grip with link to battery.

These suppliers are excellent as well,when I broke mine,don`t ask, they sent the parts to repair free of charge from Hong Kong,the new part was all steel whereas the original was plastic and steel.

Should have added, the 240 volt charger is two pin only,I bought an adapter, but HKS sent one with the grip, the 12 volt charger is very useful for me as well.

Grip with link to battery.

These suppliers are excellent as well,when I broke mine,don`t ask, they sent the parts to repair free of charge from Hong Kong,the new part was all steel whereas the original was plastic and steel.

Should have added, the 240 volt charger is two pin only,I bought an adapter, but HKS sent one with the grip, the 12 volt charger is very useful for me as well.

Someone else rated Phottix stuff highly - think it may have been puddleduck. Thanks for the link.

Someone else rated Phottix stuff highly - think it may have been puddleduck. Thanks for the link.

They were brilliant for me, I can only base my opinion on that experience........(y)

Linky? :¬)

Pete - I've had a D700 for a month or so now, upgrading the battery doesn't really bother me since I've managed to get loads of use out of it (you can save while you're shooting which has a lot of value).

If you already have a D700 then obviously that changes things. I thought you were the OP when I replied before :bang:

I was a staff photographer for an Athletics magazine for a number of years, and spent 15 years photographing all equestrian sports professionally (I have full Turf Club accreditation, and also did a fair bit of magazine work for Horse and Hound etc). Nowadays I've more or less retired from those things and just enjoying a more peaceful life. I still shoot some sports and I'm also trying all the things I wish I'd had time to photograph years ago (birds,travel etc).

My requirement is to shoot as high a quality as I can, retired or not, within my basic style, remains. Photography was and is my hobby first and last.

I love gear lust! :D

If you can afford a D3X, you might be able to afford a digital blad. Almost £10K now...You have good glass though, which would be wasted if the hassleblad was your only body.

My plan....

Keep my D3 and all the glass I have. Eventually buy a digital blad, if I can justify the expense, just to have it and hold it, and hopefully use it for the odd landscape.

I will also continue to follow the Nikon line up. D4, D5 etc as I feel I have invested too much to just drop it. It's not a difficult question you have asked. If you want top quality portraits, landscapes and studio shots, and can afford it, and want to use your glass, get the D3X. If you want the best all rounder, get a D3 or a D700. If you want the even better, and are happy to collect even more top end glass, go get a Hasselblad or other digital medium format beast! :D

If it were me? Hassleblad now....D4 later.

Gary.

I was under the impression,at least it has been my experience with 2 EL-En3 batteries,one in the body and one in the grip...there isnt enough juice to get the 7/8Fps.So you would have to get the EL-EN4 or use AA's for the fps increase.

What I like about the D700 is its versatility,In that its a convienient form factor camera for everyday use, but can transform to a larger faster machine should you ever want it.
The D3 is obviously the better camera and for professional capacity its a no brainer but for the everyday Snapper/amatuer enthusiast is the D700 perhaps the more practical machine.

Any how whichever you choose im sure you'll love it

there isnt enough juice to get the 7/8Fps.

There is. The reason for restricting it to 5fps is purely to sell grips.

there isnt enough juice to get the 7/8Fps.

There is. The reason for restricting it to 5fps is purely to sell grips.

What I meant,is that there isnt enough power from an El-EN 3 when inserted in the grip to give the increase...you would need to insert the EL-EN4 or the 8 AA method to get the frame per second increase.

Im aware that whilst the 5fps restriction might be partly marketing(keep the distiction between the pro D3 and semi Pro D700....its mainly to do with the fact that larger D3 EL-EN 4 battery just wont fit in the smaller D700 body...hence the need for the grip.

Getting 8fps with the grip, only puts 1 frame ps behind the quoted 9fps of the D3

What I meant,is that there isnt enough power from an El-EN 3 when inserted in the grip to give the increase...you would need to insert the EL-EN4 or the 8 AA method to get the frame per second increase.

Im aware that whilst the 5fps restriction might be partly marketing(keep the distiction between the pro D3 and semi Pro D700....its mainly to do with the fact that larger D3 EL-EN 4 battery just wont fit in the smaller D700 body...hence the need for the grip.

Getting 8fps with the grip, only puts 1 frame ps behind the quoted 9fps of the D3

You can get 11 fps from the D3, cannot remember how though. Will check and get back...

Gary.

9fps I dont think I need anymore.
Its bloody rapid and fills up the memory car at rapid speeds...
hah

Shooting at 11 or 9fps isn't photography - no art or skill, just shutter mashing.

Its just a very soulless way of shooting. Just buy a video camera! Or even cheaper - learn the craft, and how to t-i-m-e a shot without spray and pray machine gunning.

All in my (probably controversial) opinion of course ;)

Shooting at 11 or 9fps isn't photography - no art or skill, just shutter mashing.

Its just a very soulless way of shooting. Just buy a video camera! Or even cheaper - learn the craft, and how to t-i-m-e a shot without spray and pray machine gunning.

All in my (probably controversial) opinion of course ;)

Surely its a good way for sports togs to capture an entire segment of action? For example, a penalty kick might only take a second, but having all 9 frames of said kick, would allow for a good selection of images, and action to choose from?

I can't see much use for it outside fast paced sports.

Gary.

Yep for sports and football in particular (well for me anyway) the high shutter speed is invaluable. While anticipation is a skill that good sports togs have to learn, sometimes you simply cannot react fast enough whatever your level of ability to get the one frame that would make the editorial.

The only other thing I find it comes in handy for is HDR's where you can get 7 shots in before clouds, leafs, people etc move. Although I'm prepared to be shot down on that one ;)

Yep for sports and football in particular (well for me anyway) the high shutter speed is invaluable. While anticipation is a skill that good sports togs have to learn, sometimes you simply cannot react fast enough whatever your level of ability to get the one frame that would make the editorial.

The only other thing I find it comes in handy for is HDR's where you can get 7 shots in before clouds, leafs, people etc move. Although I'm prepared to be shot down on that one ;)

Nope, your last point is valid too.

Gary.

I guess - and I'm being controversial here - and possibly playing devil's advocate ;)- - that where do you stop?

Why not just have a Hi Def video camera and capture 25fps and get the frame you want that way? You'd have even more choice than the 9fps currently... would the lower resolution cut it? It would probably be OK for a back page newspaper spread.

I'll take a fast burst during critical wedding moments - the kiss, the recessional and so on. More often that not someone will be blinking etc and it's useful to catch those.

It's no substitute for timing though. More critical for me is the absence of shutter lag, mirror blackout and lightning AF that the D3 gives.

There's a wedding photog I know who will do a burst and then Photoshop "blinkers" from one shot to another, or a best expression etc.

I guess - and I'm being controversial here - and possibly playing devil's advocate ;)- - that where do you stop?

Why not just have a Hi Def video camera and capture 25fps and get the frame you want that way? You'd have even more choice than the 9fps currently... would the lower resolution cut it? It would probably be OK for a back page newspaper spread.

Maybe they already do that? :D I guess this is where the art, and soul of photography is least likely to be important. Nailing that "money shot" so to speak.

Gary.

I'd go further and say that if you have to ask on a forum whether your should get a D3 or a D3x then both would be wasted on you. It's one thing asking another pro whether it's worth upgrading, but at this level of questioning it's nothing but gear lust. All IMVHO of course.
smirk.gif

I'd go further and say that if you have to ask on a forum whether your should get a D3 or a D3x then both would be wasted on you. It's one thing asking another pro whether it's worth upgrading, but at this level of questioning it's nothing but gear lust. All IMVHO of course.
smirk.gif

I was a staff photographer for an Athletics magazine for a number of years, and spent 15 years photographing all equestrian sports professionally (I have full Turf Club accreditation, and also did a fair bit of magazine work for Horse and Hound etc). Nowadays I've more or less retired from those things and just enjoying a more peaceful life. I still shoot some sports and I'm also trying all the things I wish I'd had time to photograph years ago (birds,travel etc).

My requirement is to shoot as high a quality as I can, retired or not, within my basic style, remains. Photography was and is my hobby first and last.

:thinking:

I've been contemplating going full frame recently. I'm shooting with my D300, which I absolutely love to bits but I keep seeing images produced on a full frame and I'm quite envious. Is there anything significantly different between the D3 and D700 in regards to image quality? The built in grip and dual card slots aren't really selling points to me, as I've got a battery grip and I like how my D300 feels. Is there anything else that jumps out as a "must have" with the D3?

I've been contemplating going full frame recently. I'm shooting with my D300, which I absolutely love to bits but I keep seeing images produced on a full frame and I'm quite envious. Is there anything significantly different between the D3 and D700 in regards to image quality? The built in grip and dual card slots aren't really selling points to me, as I've got a battery grip and I like how my D300 feels. Is there anything else that jumps out as a "must have" with the D3?

The D3 and D700 use the same sensor, so image quality should be exactly the same. Wayne

Back