D300 grip price

Name
You can call me Sir.
Edit My Images
Yes
Why is the D300 grip so much more expensive than a D200 grip?

Cos its new and Nikon are greedy!!!!!

No extra features on it then? I though the A700 grip was overpriced but now I see the D300 is priced similarly. I can see why on the A700 grip when it has all the extra buttons and stuff but does the D300 grip have the same?

No idea Kev, haven't looked in to it, I find it heavy enough with to 70-200VR and SB-800 on! Love the camera tho, amazing performance.

Supply and demand!

Would like one but not the greatest priority at the moment. Until sales of the D300 slow a little, guess the price won't come down too much. Some people have ordered from Hong Kong...and you could always try Kerso for a quote.

No rush, I haven't even got a D300 yet I was just looking into it. I could hardly believe a peice of plastic that holds batteries and has a couple of shutter buttons could cost £250 odd quid. I can see why the A700 grip costs more thana standard grip as it replicates the majority of the controls on the back of the camera body but I've not seen any decent pictures of a D300 grip to see if it does the sme.

The MB-D10 doesn't actually go inside the camera's battery chamber like previous versions, it attaches to the bottom of the camera and connects to the camera using a small pin connection. The battery grip also increases the cameras 6FPS to 8FPS, which is why most people are getting it. As for controls its identical to previous versions (shutter, on/off, front and back wheels, AE-L/AF-L, but also includes a Dpad to scroll through photos, settings, highlights and histograms etc.

Think because it has the D-pad and like AOF says, the FPS is increased and I beleive you can use THREE batteries in total instead of two like with the MB-D200

Fair enough, sounds like a copy of the Sony grip which almost justifies the higher price ;)

I've just ordered a D300 as a backup so was going to get a grip until I saw the price. I'm going to wait a while until there are some deals around for it. It might be good to have a lighter body anyway.

Pete

They are about now for approx £195, also they are made of magnesium alloy I believe. As said earlier, increases the frame rate also.
I tend to take the attitude that in the real scheme of things, its not that expensive.

Purely Gadgets are selling it for £177.95. Like people have said the extra buttons, increased frame rate (using the EN-EL4A battery) and its made of magnesium alloy mean its more expensive than the other grips.

I picked one up from Campkins Cameras for £164.99 which is a pretty good price, particularly as I got it when they had just come out. It is magnesium alloy and has all the controls on it. I think they may have gone up a tenner now.

Chris :)

Its worth it because it makes the D300 sounds like a machine gun when firing at 8fps! :D Ive finally got all my kit together (D300, grip, BL-3 door and EN-EL4a battery) and it certainly makes it a very impressive camera. It also means I can now use the EN-EL4a as the main battery and just keep the internal camera one as a backup. By my estimation that combination should allow me to shoot for close to a week without needing to worry about charging. (y)

How solid is the grip on the camera? That was the one thing that got me to swap out my D200 for a D2x as the grip on the D200 felt "wobbly" and I was worried it would snap off the camera. I didn't bother spending £250 on the grip when I ordered my D300 yesterday as it's a second body to my D3 and I wasn't sure how solid the grip would be.

Pete

Purely Gadgets are selling it for £177.95. Like people have said the extra buttons, increased frame rate (using the EN-EL4A battery) and its made of magnesium alloy mean its more expensive than the other grips.

Increased frame rate with AA batteries and the EN-EL4A. The EN-EL4A requires the separate purchase of a different internal battery holder for the grip

How solid is the grip on the camera? That was the one thing that got me to swap out my D200 for a D2x as the grip on the D200 felt "wobbly" and I was worried it would snap off the camera. I didn't bother spending £250 on the grip when I ordered my D300 yesterday as it's a second body to my D3 and I wasn't sure how solid the grip would be.

Pete

Mine certainly feels rock solid. I've not used a D2X or D3 to compare it, but as far as imconcenerned im happy carrying the camera around by the grip with a long lens on.

Mine certainly feels rock solid. I've not used a D2X or D3 to compare it, but as far as imconcenerned im happy carrying the camera around by the grip with a long lens on.

Will have a think about getting one at some point, will just see how it goes without for now though.

Thanks for the reply.

Pete

Back