d300 + Ir.

Name
ben
Edit My Images
No
Hi all.
I am using the nikon d300 and was wondering if it was any good for Infra red photo's and can I just use an infra red filter, or need to remove the hot mirror and replace with the correct hot mirror filter?

thanks Ben.

If you go down the lens filter route then the camera needs to be on a tripod as you're looking at exposure times or 20 seconds plus, with a converted camera you can shoot handheld.

It's not really a DIY conversion job on a D300 (unless you're really confident with a soldering iron), so budget around £300 to get it converted properly.

If you go down the lens filter route then the camera needs to be on a tripod as you're looking at exposure times or 20 seconds plus, with a converted camera you can shoot handheld.

It's not really a DIY conversion job on a D300 (unless you're really confident with a soldering iron), so budget around £300 to get it converted properly.

There is that of course, but the IR camera is not really very useful for much of everyday shooting, only specific subjects. D300 is a little overkill for that, as the pro grade AF won't be needed for example. Personally, for 10 shots a year I'd get a filter.

Back