D300 or D300S

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
Bit of a back story here. I have been using my first DSLR, a D5000 for about 8 months now. It's been a great learning tool but I'm beginning to get a little frustrated with a couple of things. The first niggle is the lack of external controls. I could probably live with that a little longer but it is getting on my nerves. What has brought the idea of replacing it to a head is the lack of 'flash commander' mode. I've been fancying doing a little off camera flash work for some time now and the D5000 falls a bit short in this area it would seem. I know there are work-arounds but they all seem expensive/long winded and so it seems like a good time to jump ship. Plus the thought of a new camera is always exciting!

Earlier this week, I was thinking that a D90 would be a suitable replacement. Cheap upgrade, does most of what I need. You know how these things go though... when looking at a D90, it's hard to ignore the fact that to all intents and purposes it's now been replaced by the D7000. And then once my mind becomes open to the idea of upping the budget, the D300 and D300S come into play. I love the build and feel of the D300. I think that alone would convince me to buy one over a D7000.

So I need some reassurance before spending a huge chunk of my hard earned. The first thing is whether the D300S is worth paying a premium for over the D300. I'm not sure of all the differences between the two. I understand the D300S has better video capability but that is neither here nor there for me. i haven't shot a single video with the D5000. Is there much else different?

How will the IQ compared to the D5000? Does the D300 use the same sensor? What about high ISO performance?

I'm sure there will be more questions to come so I apologise in advance!

The D300s has much better video than the 300, in the fact that the D300 doesnt do video!!! Aside from that and two card slots, I dont think there is anything else really different?

ISO I find 800 about as high as I like to go normally, 1600 is ok and not too bad but no higher. Came from a D90 and the extra controls and buttons are a godsend, plus I like the feel more. If you dont shoot video, get a D300.

By all accounts the D7000 has better ISO (and more MP) but is smaller, less controls and more money. If I was offered a straight swap I would keep the D300 as I rarely need to go above 800.

The D300s has much better video than the 300, in the fact that the D300 doesnt do video!!! Aside from that and two card slots, I dont think there is anything else really different?

ISO I find 800 about as high as I like to go normally, 1600 is ok and not too bad but no higher. Came from a D90 and the extra controls and buttons are a godsend, plus I like the feel more. If you dont shoot video, get a D300.

By all accounts the D7000 has better ISO (and more MP) but is smaller, less controls and more money. If I was offered a straight swap I would keep the D300 as I rarely need to go above 800.

+1 - If you don't use video I'd go for the d300. The two card slots would be handy but not worth the premium. You can upgrade the firmware in the d300 to pick up most of the initial improvements between them too.

I too have been considering a similar upgrade, which came down to a choice between the D300/s and the D7000. I chose the latter as I need the high ISO capabilities.

I suppose it comes down to what you want to use it for:shrug:

Cheers chaps. I hadn't realised that the D300 has no video at all. It doesn't bother me though. Like I say, I've never touched it on the D5000. I don't think it would bother me.

Can't see an extra memory card slot being a deal breaker either. Assume the D300 is compact flash?

Cambsno, how did you find the IQ and ISO vs. the D90. I beleive the d90 and d5000 share the same sensor so I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on that one.

I too have been considering a similar upgrade, which came down to a choice between the D300/s and the D7000. I chose the latter as I need the high ISO capabilities.

I suppose it comes down to what you want to use it for:shrug:

I love the features of the D7000 and indeed the high ISO looks incredible. Just love the feel of the D300. I think if I'm going to start using a flash a little more, the high ISO may be less important to me. As long as the D300 is no worse than the D5000 in that regard I should be a happy man.

I went from D5000 to D300s and found a big improvement in the quality not just of the images but of the build. The build of the D300s is incredible (as is the D300) and you lose the plasticy feel from the D5000. On the D300s I can do 90% of every action I need to perform using buttons or dials on the body of the camera. Very rare that I actually need to go into the menu as it is all very well laid out and convenient. A good investment whether you go for D300/D300s.

I thought that the ISO seemed better at 1600 on D90 but think that was more to do with my standards and what I look for being more strict now that it used to, and some of the 1600 ISO stuff has been in really poor light (like 1/60 and 1.8) rather than 1600 on ok light using slower glass.

Hard me me to comment on IQ as I started using better glass with D300, although I think all other things being equal, IQ is the same - its that you can adjust easier and quicker with D300

+1 - If you don't use video I'd go for the d300. The two card slots would be handy but not worth the premium. You can upgrade the firmware in the d300 to pick up most of the initial improvements between them too.

What improvements are there in firmware? Worth upgrading?

Lists the details on Firmware V 1.10 which is the latest for the D300, my D300 was already on this version when I bought it 2nd hand so cant say what the real world difference is

Last edited:
I certainly wouldn't buy a D300S for video- although I wouldn't actually buy any Nikon for video at the moment as they're all crap compared to what can(on) be done:LOL:

The D300 is an excellent camera although it does have some handling quirks- LV implementation is clunky compared to the D90/D7000/D300S and the multi selector isn't as good in terms of operation. In that regard the D300S may be better depending if these things are important to you.

A second hand D300 is excellent value- you get a lot of camera for your money and it can still hold its own with decent glass.

Ive owned both, ive also sold both, if i were ever to buy either again it would be the D300, the s version isnt worth the extra.

I certainly wouldn't buy a D300S for video- although I wouldn't actually buy any Nikon for video at the moment as they're all crap compared to what can(on) be done:LOL:

I guess that makes up for all the crap a canon produces as a stills camera, then?:wave:

On a serious note, whether a camera does video, or not, wouldn't influence my decision, anyway. I had a D300s and loved it. Was a lovely camera to use.I never used the video function at all. I may purchase another one at some point,to give me extra reach with my lenses compared to my D3s.

Last edited:
True, when I had a Canon 5D Mark II the video quality seemed a lot better. I would just get a D300, if you want video buy a camcorder ;)

Interesting question, I had D300 now have D300S to be honest I have never used Video side ever, I think D300 has all you will ever need, it is fantastic camera, so dont waste your money opn 300S

Thanks again all. The d300 seems to be emerging as favourite.

I do have a couple of other questions if anybody could help.

My wife has asked if it has any scene or auto modes? Id assumed not.

Compact flash only?

Are spare batteries readily available?

My wife has asked if it has any scene or auto modes? Id assumed not.

No scene modes, but it has 'P' mode which is basically a full auto mode.

I bought the D300 when they came out in 2007, and only recently added the D700.

The D300 is a superb camera, no problems at all, and I often took it to ISO3200 if the situation needed it.

This is 3200 without any noise reduction in PP

I went from the D5000 to the D300s and have not regretted it.

Well I am thinking should I have put the extra in (a lot of extra) and got the D700.

But I really like the D300s

The D80/D90/D300/D300S/D700 all take the same EN-EL3e Batteries so no problems there, the 300 has only a Compact Flash slot whereas the 300S has compact flash and SD, I have a D300 and love it, only recently purchased it on this forum second hand, they come up quite regularly, MPB usually have a few in stock if you want to buy from a dealer with some sort of warranty, would love a D700 but thats for the future and a lot more cash, im really happy with my D300

I have got the 300S and Nikon 16-85 lens. It is a very good combination. I have looked at the D7000, but to me that camera has not got the same feeling as the 300S.

I have got the 300S and Nikon 16-85 lens.

I have the same combination and find it perfect. :) I had the D300 with the 16.85mm and was forced into having to replace them. :(

The extra frame per second on the D300S comes in handy, and the extra SD card slot is good just as an overflow facility. SD cards are very cheap, though the CF is the main card always, because it is faster. I've used the video once or twice in the year that I have had it. :shrug:

Either is much nicer with the grip for me anyway

Thanks again everyone. I'm going to pop into a local shop and have another feel of the D300 and D7000. I'm 90% certain, I want the D300, I just have this niggling doubt that the D7000 shouldn't be dismissed.

I think what I really want is a D300 with a D7000 sensor. I assume the D400 is some way off yet? That being the case I'm sure a D300 will make me more than happy!

When I got my body and upgraded the FM there was an improvement in autofocus speed - also noted changes were to add the D3 Picture control and some other bits and pieces. Sorry I can't recall specifically but I'm sure there will be a registry somewhere.

im a little confused and sorry if i hi-jack your thread at all but whats the diffrence in button layout from a d300/s and a d7000? i've never had a problem with layout on my d7000 and it doesnt feel plastic at all

Back