D300 or D7000?

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all. I'm thinking about upgrading my D5000 for something with an internal motor to take advantage of all the lovely old Nikon lenses that won't AF on my body. My thoughts are the 300/300s or the 7000, probably from the classifieds on here, budget around £700-900. What is going to give me the best bang for my buck? I'm reality, am I going to see a leap in IQ and performance or is this mainly down the lens? I have the 18-55 kit lens, 55-200 and 35 1.8. If I'm a really good boy the wife has hinted she may buy me the 70-200 2.8!!!

If I were in your position I would go for the D7000 - it does everything the D300/300s can do and has better low light performance. I'm not even thinking about the video aspect 'cos it doesn't interest me but if you're interested in that then it weighs in favour of the D7000 too. Will you see a leap in IQ? Probably not as the D5000 is a very capable little camera but you will see some improvement and whether that's worth the investment is entirely a personal decision.

Whether you can get a used D7000 within your budget will be the killer factor.

Your two kit lenses are both good quality considering their price point and the 35mm f/1.8 is excellent (at any price) so whichever body you go for they'll continue to serve you well.

The D90 used to be the best bang-for-buck body in the Nikon range but I think that mantle has now been passed to the D7000.

HTH :)

i swapped d5000 for d7000, I like the way you have much more control over the settings without fiddling with the menus, and you get focus motor in camera body and aperture ring for older non cpu lenses.

and higher ISO with less noise.

I have both and i use D300 as main and D7000 as backup/high iso/video.

The D300(s) is more robust then D7000 and feels better. Is much more of a pro body compare to the smaller D7000. Handling and control is better on the D300(s).

If none of that concern you then the d7000 is better.

Would the iso performance of the D300 be superior to the D5000? I really like the idea of the larger, more solid feel of the 300 over the 7000 based on the replies so far.

I tried both the D300s and D7000 and in the end went for the D300s as, for me, it felt better. I have no regrets and am really pleased with it.

Can't answer you on the ISO performance, because I haven't used the D7000, but IQ is mainly determined by the lenses. I don't think you'll see any stunning, or even very noticeable, overall improvement just by upgrading the body.

Better bodies have more features, and can make it easier to get some shots.

Would the iso performance of the D300 be superior to the D5000? I really like the idea of the larger, more solid feel of the 300 over the 7000 based on the replies so far.
iso is not to different from the d5000 to the d300 but the d300 is a tad cleaner from iso 1600 up, and the d7000 about 1 stop again so iso 3200 is as good on the d700 as the d300 at iso 1600.

Thanks guys. I think I need to go and have a play with both and see what I prefer on the handling front. There are a couple of D300's going on the classifieds at the mo that have caught my eye :)

I've got hands like shovels and manage just fine with the D7000 - I wanted the improved ISO performance and faster AF (although less range of points).

A lot of reviews out there comparing the two - worth a read :)

I went from D5000 to D300. The choice was the same as your's though I never really considered the D300S as it seems to offer very little over the D300 for the difference in cost.

It comes down to this. If you are after generally better IQ, particularly in low light, the D7000 is for you. The D300 will offer you nothing in this regard.

If you're after a pro body with all the build quality, ergonomics and quick access external control that brings, then the D300 is the one. Don't buy one for IQ because the sensor is basically the same. I even did some back to back iso shots and there is nothing whatsoever to distinguish a D5000 image from a D300 image. In the field this might not be the case as the AF system is just superb so you might get sharp shots where the D5000 would have struggled.

The D7000 does offer maybe the best compromise in that you get some additional controls, a bigger body, and the IQ improvement but once I'd held the D300 and D7000 together I really, really wanted the D300! Just depends on personal priorities.

Digital Rev and Panamoz are doing the D7000 new in your price range at the moment

While I would like the 7000 ISO, for me the 300 wins - bigger which i like, better af, better made and more buttons.

I was in the same boat as you a while back, except I needed a crop sensor to compliment my D3. That crop factor makes a real difference when your lacking in (focal) length like I am. I went with the D300 over the D7000. I payed with both for a few days (I have nice friends) and didn't like the D7000 due to its size and general feel compared to the D300. I didn't like the little fancy extras that the D7000 has.

I also wanted to stay with CF cards as I don't like SD (read, can't be bothered to have two types of memory cards)

Thanks for all the replies.
Graham, it's good to hear from someone who's made the same transition.
Luke, thanks for the heads up, will have a look.
Looks like the general consensus is that the D300 is the "better" camera due to more pro spec but the 7000 edges it on the newer tech front?

Hmmm. Decisions, decisions.......

Yeah you've summed it up well - just see how they feel in the hand.. at the end of the day they're both very good cameras.

In terms of capability of actually taking pictures the D7000 has the better sensor and the D300s has the better AF. Personally I think I think those are the main differences!

Depends what you take pictures of.........

Size wise there isn't very much difference tbh. As posted above; depends what you'll mainly be shooting.
Low light/higher ISO? .... D7000

With Nikon's `cash back` you can get one for £849 (or less)

Beardy said:
In terms of capability of actually taking pictures the D7000 has the better sensor and the D300s has the better AF. Personally I think I think those are the main differences!

Depends what you take pictures of.........

Mostly shots of my 18 month old son but also enjoy visiting zoos and wildlife parks for animal shots. There's the dilemma really because the better sensor really appeals for quality but the improved AF would come in handy to catch the little fella more consistently.

The D7000's AF is as good as the D300 (shoot them side by side for sports). You can't use them in quite the same way (the individual sensor coverage is larger on the D7000 than D300 so you have to position the camera differently, but there is no difference in tracking performance except that the multi point dynamic modes seem a bit more reliable on the D7000.

Here's what Thom says about the AF:

Autofocus System
Surprise, surprise. This autofocus system is quite good (at least in normal shooting). It feels responsive, does well in low light (but not exceptionally well), and covers a nice wide area of the frame. Coupled with the new method of making autofocus settings, you should be able to get excellent performance in almost any condition with the mirror down. In basketball sessions, it did a very good job of following action, perhaps slightly better than the D300s, but definitely not quite up to the level of my D3s. But anyone up to a D90 user will be blown away with this new system, so it's a big win here. I've seen reports from others about being disappointed with active autofocus use, such as with birds in flight (BIF). I haven't been able to duplicate their problems, though I will note that you may need to adjust your settings if you're coming from another high-end camera. I found my optimal BIF settings for the D7000 to be slightly different than for my D300s.

Pretty much everyone I know who's shot them side by side for a while thinks the same.

On the other hand, the D300 is 'better built', feels a bit nicer to hold, is bigger, has slightly better buffer performance (you really have to get UHS-I cards for the D7000 though, class 10s are terrible). Every camera smaller than a D3 looks and feel dinky in my hands anyway, so I'd rather get the smaller where possible.

On the other stuff:
But let's not confuse something: the D7000 is not up to the level of the D300s in some critical ways: build-quality, feature set, buffer use, and more. Little things, like the material used over the color LCD, can make somewhat substantive differences in whether a camera manages to take full time pro abuse or lives only up to a lower level of consumer handling. The materials, durability, ruggedness, and other build-quality aspects of the D300s are executed at a slightly higher level. If you're bouncing your camera around in the Outback all year long, the D300s is going to stand up to that better than the D7000, though the D7000 will stand up to it better than a D90 would. Plus the D300s still has some performance advantages: 8 fps maximum frame rate and a critically larger buffer, for example. On the plus side, the D7000 has come mighty close to the D300s level in terms of build quality and features, so I'm sure there will be people who opt for a D7000 over a D300s. But I don't consider the D300s obsolete because the D7000 appeared. It's still an excellent camera, though starting to show its age a bit. I fully trust Nikon will address that next year and then the D300s/D7000 debate will just go away entirely. Until then, I think you have to pick the D300s if your camera handling is going to be abusive and rough, the D7000 if you value image quality and performance (other than frame rate and buffer size) over ruggedness.

There's no way I'd get a D300s over a D7000 at this point unless the D300s were significantly cheaper (if buffer is an issue you can shoot the D7000 at 12 bit compressed RAW and still get better IQ than the D300s at 14 bit (where it only does 2.5fps))

Last edited:
I went from a d90 to a d200, most people will probably consider this as a 'downgrade' but I just love how the d200 feels in my hands! Also prefer the positions of all the buttons, feels very nature and I feel I have all the control at all time. Now I've gone from a d200 to a d300.
In my opinion the heavier body just feels better balanced with a heavier lens. It's fine when you're using small primes but when using a bigger zoom, the d200/300 + a battery grip gives a really nice well-balanced handling.

There is also one tiny thing - eventually I would like to go full frame and it saves a bit of time as I don't have to get used to where all the buttons are again... ;)

Both awesome but the D300s is just more solid. It'll do you proud especially as you get the heavier, better quality lenses like the 70-200. I know the 35 you have is a mint little lens but it's really about the bigger lenses you'll eventually want to take advantage of. Though I took a d300s and 35 1.8 in my little bag when I went to germany recently and it was a great combo.

I use one and am selling another on the nikon section of this forum because I have a d700 now to use a 24 1.4 lens on FF so I can't keep two d300s bodies :(

Last edited:
If buy new i get D7000. D300s brand new is abit too steap i think atm. Second hand D300 will be much wiser choice if video is not what you aftering ..... D300s video sucks by the way so i won't buy the D300s for that purpose.

Like many have said the D300(s) is so much better build and bigger as well compare to D7000. I have D7000 with grip and also a D300 with grip and i can say the D300 with grip is so so much bigger then the D7000 with grip.

AF is better on the D300(s) with experience on both camera. I use my D300 as main camera for jobs instead of the D7000. The D7000 is act as backup or super high iso shooting.

Both awesome but the D300s is just more solid. It'll do you proud especially as you get the heavier, better quality lenses like the 70-200. I know the 35 you have is a mint little lens but it's really about the bigger lenses you'll eventually want to take advantage of. Though I took a d300s and 35 1.8 in my little bag when I went to germany recently and it was a great combo.

I use one and am selling another on the nikon section of this forum because I have a d700 now to use a 24 1.4 lens on FF so I can't keep two d300s bodies :(

DB - It was your D300 which started this dilemma!! Have been watching the thread for a bit.

Neither I would say d90

:D Can't going adding another one to the mix!!!

I went from a d90 to a d200, most people will probably consider this as a 'downgrade' but I just love how the d200 feels in my hands! Also prefer the positions of all the buttons, feels very nature and I feel I have all the control at all time. Now I've gone from a d200 to a d300.
In my opinion the heavier body just feels better balanced with a heavier lens. It's fine when you're using small primes but when using a bigger zoom, the d200/300 + a battery grip gives a really nice well-balanced handling.

There is also one tiny thing - eventually I would like to go full frame and it saves a bit of time as I don't have to get used to where all the buttons are again... ;)

Cheers Julie (y)

Thanks Ausemmao for a great post, lots of info to consider there...

Thanks to everyone else for the opinions too!

Check out the used dealer that advertises in the top right hand corner of this page Phil...yep...MPB. I've seen some virtually new D300 with as few as 4000 actuations for sale for around £650, that's a steal I reckon, as a regular D300 user I cannot recommend the camera enough.

I've read and heard some good things about the D7000, so I took a good hard look at one at Focus on Imaging and the first thing that struck me was the actual look and feel of it, it's simply not in the same league as the pro build D300, take a look around the current D300 stock on MPB...then bite the bullet and buy one, you won't regret it (y)

Bill :)

Last edited:
Sorry for the dilemma mate! You know it's a good move :) I still use one every shoot!

Mostly shots of my 18 month old son but also enjoy visiting zoos and wildlife parks for animal shots. There's the dilemma really because the better sensor really appeals for quality but the improved AF would come in handy to catch the little fella more consistently.

Hmmm. Like you I take a lot of pictures of young children (mine are 3 1/2 and 16 months)....the low light performnce of the D7000 is a big advantage for indoor shots in that case.

Beardy said:
Hmmm. Like you I take a lot of pictures of young children (mine are 3 1/2 and 16 months)....the low light performnce of the D7000 is a big advantage for indoor shots in that case.

The D300S is no slouch in low light :) shot a poorly lit gig at 3200 and it came out mint. I'd hope you'd have more light thank I did at that little gig.

I suppose it depends what you want out of the camera, when I was upgrading my D90 I wanted a heftier build, and I felt the sensor in the D90 was good enough for my purpose, so I was dead set on getting a D300(s), but somehow I ended up with a D700 instead.

Back