D300 Owners Thread - Anything related to the D300!

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
If it's good enough for the D90 owners then it's got to be good enough for the D300 owners too :p

Whilst I'm counting all my pennies up and waiting for the best time to buy one (after Xmas) I thought I would be great to try and get a thread started to hear all the hints, tips and experiences of other D300 owners :)

C'mon then guys and gals, share your experiences here :D

I love my D300, I would like to buy a D3/s but just can't bring myself to sell my D300.

I'm in, but what shall we talk about? :thinking: erm... mine's black. What colour is yours? :p

Ok, the one setting that I made on mine was to set focus to activate with the af-on button.
That way you focus with your thumb and when you half press the shutter button, VR activates on vr lenses.
If you keep your thumb pressed on af-on and have the camera set to continuous focus, you can pan and stay in focus as it readjust itself.
I know this ones basic, but its aimed for the new owners.

Kev.

Only had it a couple of months, kept the D60 as a back up and to be able to have a long and short combination. Picking up the D60 again, it's sooooo small it feels like it should be on a key ring.

Only had it a couple of months, kept the D60 as a back up and to be able to have a long and short combination. Picking up the D60 again, it's sooooo small it feels like it should be on a key ring.

I keep a D70s as back up, not as small as a 60, but still feels dinky-ish.

Anyway, seeing as I have never tried it, can't understand the dratted manual anyway, can anyone explain in easy to understand language, how to use focus tracking and whether its actually any good?

Ok, the one setting that I made on mine was to set focus to activate with the af-on button.
That way you focus with your thumb and when you half press the shutter button, VR activates on vr lenses.
If you keep your thumb pressed on af-on and have the camera set to continuous focus, you can pan and stay in focus as it readjust itself.
I know this ones basic, but its aimed for the new owners.

Kev.

I couldn't get on with the AF-ON button, so went back to using the focus on shutter depress. I did however set the two buttons at the front to be spot metering and exposure lock. This way I can easily keep the camera in matrix metering, but quickly spot meter and lock the exposure.

I couldn't get on with the AF-ON button, so went back to using the focus on shutter depress. I did however set the two buttons at the front to be spot metering and exposure lock. This way I can easily keep the camera in matrix metering, but quickly spot meter and lock the exposure.

That's one thing I'm struggling with a bit on mine, the sheer number of buttons. Having said that it did convince me to move to the dark side :)

I still don't see the advantage of the AF-ON button, I find it easier to just hold the shutter button half way, and have my thumb free to adjust shutter speed while looking through the viewfinder?

foggy I agree, my D50 feels like a toy in comparison to the D300, the smaller buttons and tiny screen make it seem so awkward!

As there are captive D300 owners here, should I take up the Nikon Flashback offer and get a D300S instead of my D90?

honestly, depends what you're using it for f1 the benefit of having the buttons on the outside rather than menus is great for professional use but they're pretty much the same camera afaik

granted i'd prefer a d300 over a d90 but wouldn't find myself upgrading unless there was a particular need

how to use focus tracking and whether its actually any good?

Focus tracking good?!!! Errrm only the best thing about the D300/D700/D3...

Its nothing short of fantastic!

Oh and my top tip for this thread, dial in -0.7EV exposure compensation in the menus - these things overexpose (just like it seems every Nikon does)

Only had mine since March/April time & haven't really used it that much, been too busy :crying:
But what little I have used it, I've been very, very impressed :D

Oh and my top tip for this thread, dial in -0.7EV exposure compensation in the menus - these things overexpose (just like it seems every Nikon does)
I'd agree to some extent, but it's no where near as bad as my previous D80 was for overexposing. I upgraded from a D70 to the D80 & was very frustrated & disapointed with the D80.........should have gone staright for the D300 in the first place :shake:

i love my D300, D80, D70 but really now want a D700...

the d300 is great for sport etc. but want something more for low light....

Focus tracking good?!!! Errrm only the best thing about the D300/D700/D3...

Its nothing short of fantastic!

so to use it I do what? .... yeah, I know RTFM :LOL:

btw, I dont find mine over exposes that much, at most .3, but as I use it on manual more often than not, less of an issue. Mind you, my D70 is prone to a similar amount of under exposure :shrug:

I never liked my D300's - felt like only half a camera - and I hated the stupid grip that you had to remove to change a battery!! Nothing like a pro body. Much happier with what I use now.

I never liked my D300's - felt like only half a camera - and I hated the stupid grip that you had to remove to change a battery!! Nothing like a pro body. Much happier with what I use now.

Just as a matter of interest, how do you rate the D2Hs to the D3?

so to use it I do what? .... yeah, I know RTFM :LOL:

btw, I dont find mine over exposes that much, at most .3, but as I use it on manual more often than not, less of an issue. Mind you, my D70 is prone to a similar amount of under exposure :shrug:

Try the 51pt 3D tracking - and use the AF-ON button - works really really well.

I still use the D2Hs - it has a very special quality to the pictures - and good to around 1250/1600ISO - focus tracking is also excellent - D3 scores on high ISO and the much better screen! D3 has better dynamic range - D2Hs has nicer/smaller file sizes. D2Hs has better 'reach' - D3 has quality at larger print sizes - although I've printed to 18 x 12 @1250ISO from the D2Hs andthey look great - also half pages in the press are no probs at all! I need them both. :) TBH I think the D2Hs was Nikons best body (prior to the D3). I'd still rather use it than a D300!

Hi Kev - that suggestion about the AF-ON button you made on another thread. Sorry for the stupid question but why is that better than just holding the shutter button down 1/2 way? merv:thinking::thinking:

Hi Kev - that suggestion about the AF-ON button you made on another thread. Sorry for the stupid question but why is that better than just holding the shutter button down 1/2 way? merv:thinking::thinking:

Means you can recompose the shot without the focus changing. In theory it gives you more control as you separate the focusing and the shutter.

It is really worth your while practising the AF-ON button till you master it! It does take a little getting used to but far better control - you can also change quickly from continuous focus to locked focus -just take your finger off the button and shoot!

Ok, so this begs the question... can you turn off the half click focus then? Because I'd like to put this AF button on trial. I'm really liking the sound of it.

yes you can - don't have the manual with me but it's in there - I can post how to in the morning.

I'll have a root meself. Sure I could get off me bum and read the manual meself!

I so lazy :LOL:

I'm listening with interest as the discussion advances.:thinking:

Ok, so this begs the question... can you turn off the half click focus then? Because I'd like to put this AF button on trial. I'm really liking the sound of it.

Go into the Custom Setting Bank, Then select a Autofocus. then select option a5 AF activation then select AF-ON only. Job done this will make your camera focus on AF button only not with shutter release.

Means you can recompose the shot without the focus changing. In theory it gives you more control as you separate the focusing and the shutter.

No it doesn't - not in continuous focus. It does in single focus but you get the same result when you press the shutter release half way down. The AF-on button serves the same function as the shutter release button - says so in the manual.

Go into the Custom Setting Bank, Then select a Autofocus. then select option a5 AF activation then select AF-ON only. Job done this will make your camera focus on AF button only not with shutter release.

Aye, just figured it out! I have noticed that it will now only release the shutter when I keep AF-ON depressed. Presume that sounds all spiffing and correct?

Aye, just figured it out! I have noticed that it will now only release the shutter when I keep AF-ON depressed. Presume that sounds all spiffing and correct?

If option a1 is set to release and focus or focus then yes if the shot is not in focus then it will not allow you to take a shot.

If option a1 is set to release and focus or focus then yes if the shot is not in focus then it will not allow you to take a shot.

Ah, I've had a revelation! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Firstly I was shooting on AF-S so it was refusing to shoot full stop. AF-S was set to Focus. Changing this to "Release" means it releases the shutter regardless.

Ah, I've had a revelation! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Firstly I was shooting on AF-S so it was refusing to shoot full stop. AF-S was set to Focus. Changing this to "Release" means it releases the shutter regardless.

Pleased you have it sorted, stick with af-on, it takes a little time to get used to it, I tried it several times before I got used to it now I will only shot this way, the only time I switch it off is when one of my daughters uses one of my cameras as their hands are a little to small to use it.

I'm listening with interest as the discussion advances.:thinking:

Me too, and I haven't got a D300 yet, I'm scouring eBay and the like looking for the right one at the right price :)

Sounds an awesome piece of kit though!

Back