D300 upgrade

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Iv kind of fell out of love with my D300. Mainly due to the crap low light capabilities/noise. Although I do love the build!

Before I bought my D300 I was torn between it and a D90 and thinking back I should have gone with the latter.

Im looking at the old 'd300 vs '"""" ' threads and can't decide whether I would be happy with the D7000 or should I hold out for a D7100 bargain.

I know the build is going to be a downgrade on both but the higher iso and low light capabilities will make up for it.

Im not shooting anything specific, just wanting a decent bit if kit to pull out of the bag when needed!

I do shoot fast moving dogs at schutzhund clubs every now and then but mostly indoor/low light environments.

As for lenses I use nikon 35/1.8 in low light and for faster objects and then 18-105 as general walk about lens but Im looking into swapping out for either Sigma 70-300 APO or Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8

Any other body recommendations welcome and general opinions from anyone who's used all there above bodies

A used D700 can be bought for peanuts, much better in low light than the D300 while giving the same sturdy build but you would obviously have to look at upgrading glass then as well going to full frame you could swop the 35 out for a 50 which will be similar field of view on full frame and the 70-300's are full frame lenses anyway although the Sigma version is pretty poor you would be better of with the Tamron or Nikon equivalent. The a.f on the D7000 is pretty poor and would be a big downgrade on your D300 you would be looking at a D7200 to get better.

I upgraded from a D300 to a D700, I love it, got primes with it, and the 24-120 F4. Glad I made the upgrade.

I went from D300 to D700. No regrets. Now have D800 as well but often pick up the D700 by default.

Im tempted by the d7000 ya know.. Just wondering as I only make use of the af on the d300 a couple of times a month if I would benefit from the newer/cheaper tech and I would have a bit left over for a better quality lens

Is the af on the d7000 really that bad

Last edited:
Af on D7000 is fine. Af on D700 is a bit of a dog IMVHO. I borrowed and used a mate's D700 to shoot a party about 10 montha ago and the keeper rate was really quite low. Light was not good I must add but D7000/7100/7200 would have done a much better job.

Af on D7000 is fine. Af on D700 is a bit of a dog IMVHO. I borrowed and used a mate's D700 to shoot a party about 10 montha ago and the keeper rate was really quite low. Light was not good I must add but D7000/7100/7200 would have done a much better job.

I have owned both and found the exact opposite, the D700 AF performed better than the D7000, including low light stuff. Admittedly I didn't use the D7000 very much but I am surprised at your results - if it was only borrowed, I guess it could have been a setup issue.

Hi grotty, maybe ! I Could be your D7000 was not optimised ? I doubt you will find many who are not happy with the AF on the latter. As ever, I reserve the right to be wrong.

What complete and utter nonsense the a.f on the D700 is vastly better than the D7000 especially in low light.

I have owned several Nikon camera bodies D5000, D7000 X 3, D300, D700 X 3, D800 X 2, D4S, D810, D750 of them all the D7000's had the poorest and most inaccurate a.f. The D300 even was much better. It aso a well known issue with them a quick google can confirm the well known issues with the D7000'S a.f.

Last edited:
Ok, I guess we will have to disagree on the above then. I too have had versions of all of the above bodies plus some others but not the D4s and have reported my observation. My mates D700 has no set-up problem and simply did not work well in low light AF. Fact.

Last edited:
The D700 AF is the exact same as used in the D3, it still kicks the butt of ANY crop body. and there are NO reported AF issues anywhere anytime.

Keeping hold of my beloved D300 for a month before I make my mind up hopefully sell it on with kit lens and buy a nice walk about lens

af on a d700 is pants?....read it all now, what utter nonsense.

gary43 said:

This has got to be user error, you should of kept off the beer at the party

Ok, I guess we will have to disagree on the above then. I too have had versions of all of the above bodies plus some others but not the D4s and have reported my observation. My mates D700 has no set-up problem and simply did not work well in low light AF. Fact.

That could only be true if your "mate's" camera had a severe fault the a.f on the D700 is very good especially in low light.

That could only be true if your "mate's" camera had a severe fault the a.f on the D700 is very good especially in low light.

Given that the OP asked for "general opinions" on bodies I gave a simple user-opinion of this body. Others, like you, have clearly had a different experience. The OP can, obviously, take-or-leave my comments as he sees fit, they are, however, accurate.

Last edited:
Back