D300 woes and solution

paulc

Is leaving, again.
Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
After having some concerns over my D300 and 80-200mm lens being soft, I have found the solution or at least think that I have..I read about adjusting the af for the lens in the D300 menu and I cannot quite believe the difference in sharpness, it is amazing.

It involved drawing lines on an A4 bit of paper and taking pictures of the focus line and checking the sharpness and focus then adjusting it accordingly.

so using a tripod and a cable release I did the test at least 10 times and the lens was focusing about 2 inches in front of the said focus point so after adjusting the af finetune I now have what i think is a sharp lens that is +11 points away from its default setting...and I can definately tell the difference.

Is it that the lens is old or what?

default setting
defaultaffinetune.jpg

plus 5 af
plus5.jpg

plus11 af
plus11.jpg

Looks much better, but I thought this only is only useful with prime lenses as it can be a different fine tune for every focal length? :thinking:

I would have said it can cover every lens.

One thing I noted about the 5d2 yesterday is that my 50mm is calibrated and after using another lens for most of the day, it needed a couple of minutes to zone in so to speak, but once it did bang on. I would suggest that people do this with all lenses where available.

OMG Yv dont say that..the lens was out about 2inches at both ends of the zoom...i will have to try it tommorrow in good light...seemed too good to be true!...but it seems to have made a vast difference.

I would have said it can cover every lens.

One thing I noted about the 5d2 yesterday is that my 50mm is calibrated and after using another lens for most of the day, it needed a couple of minutes to zone in so to speak, but once it did bang on. I would suggest that people do this with all lenses where available.

I might give it a go, see how mine are really performing, but I hadnt bothered because of somthing I read on here about it a few weks ago. Al my lenses are zooms atm and someone definately said it wasnt worth it on zoom lenses.... :shrug: Still be interesting to see what happens though. (y)

I might give it a go, see how mine are really performing, but I hadnt bothered because of somthing I read on here about it a few weks ago. Al my lenses are zooms atm and someone definately said it wasnt worth it on zoom lenses.... :shrug: Still be interesting to see what happens though. (y)

No harm in trying. Dont forget to shoot down something flat and use a tripod to make sure the camera never shifts....

OMG Yv dont say that..the lens was out about 2inches at both ends of the zoom...i will have to try it tommorrow in good light...seemed too good to be true!...but it seems to have made a vast difference.

Like I say, I dont know, just recalling stuff form weeks ago.

So, do you make a specific setting for each lens once you have have done the test? pressumably each lens you use would have a different micro adjustment, some not requiring any, and where did you find the information on doing the test if you dont mind me asking?

Like I say, I dont know, just recalling stuff form weeks ago.

So, do you make a specific setting for each lens once you have have done the test? pressumably each lens you use would have a different micro adjustment, some not requiring any, and where did you find the information on doing the test if you dont mind me asking?

The camera stores the data electronically and applies it when you change glass Simple and very clever.

Thank you Paulc
That would explain a few problems i'm having. Will test and report back.

Roger

Yv,The D300 memorises the setting for each lens once adjusted I have a field guide book about the d300 which covers the af finetuning of lenses but I think there is a pdf that is downloadable on steves digicams though.

I have been legging it around the house trying the lens at different lengths and the difference is quite amazing.

Yv,The D300 memorises the setting for each lens once adjusted I have a field guide book about the d300 which covers the af finetuning of lenses but I think there is a pdf that is downloadable on steves digicams though.

I have been legging it around the house trying the lens at different lengths and the difference is quite amazing.

ok, will have a look, I have an idea of how to do, just need to peruse the menu now....if I am not back in a short time.... :LOL:

THanks Paul, this could yeild some interesting results.

All zooms (even that really good one the guy quoting this reply has :wave:) are slightly varifocal.

The only thing you can do if you really want is to get a particular focal length nailed - perhaps if you are someone who has a 70-200 that they mainly use at 200mm.

Paulc the pdf file link doesn't work.

As for doing all this work I need to take some headache tablets and have a lie down!

I just had a look at the sigma 120-300 which was already on the camera and on the tripod from earlier today, made a lined bit of paper, and tried it at 120, 200 and 300mm, just for comparison - all spot on, so that was quite pleasing, though it does mean any softness really is me messing up! :LOL: Not that I get many soft ones from that lens I have to admit. Still had a look through the menus though to see how to adjust if I need to do it in the future for any other lenses, and much more straightforward than I was expecting. (y) I do have a tendency to shy away from the technical stuff in case it all gets a bit scary, so nice to know they have made it idiot proof!

I thought my lens was back focusing, so shot at an angled test chart. After the tests, some objective replies and a bit more thought, it is obvious that perceved back focus is normal due to the angle.

Linky to thread

Hopefuly that will save anyone getting too upset.

I used this site to help me test my lenses for back focus problems. Worked a treat and I was able to program a couple of my lens adjustments into the D300. Only two of my lenses needed any adjustment and the 70-300 was one of them.

http://regex.info/blog/photo-tech/focus-chart

Great site with detailed info on what to do.

My 70-300 also needed adjustment in the camera.
My current lenses, all f2.8 are spot on and don't need adjustment.

Kev

well I had a chance to try the lens today after the adjustments and I am pleased with the results, it is DEFINATELY sharper (right through)and although zooms are supposed to be unsuitable for calibration...I can only say that it has worked with my 80-200mm f2.8 AFD.

I only had 30 mins at lunch to get some examples of post calibrating, they are large crops but I am happy with them...I have taken some at various ranges and still happy...out of the 20 or so pictures that I took today I have more sharp ones than I have before calibration out of tons of images.

bluetit.jpg

bluetitcroped.jpg

pigeonresize.jpg

100 percent crop
pidgeoncrop.jpg

thrush.jpg

thrushcrop.jpg

I have other examples too

Back