D3100 packed in already

Edit My Images
No
Well I've had it about a week and it decides to start playing up.
Basically, it worked fine before, but today I pull it out of the bag and all the pictures I take are black. The lens cap is off for a starter :LOL:, the histogram shows all the information is in the extreme lows, the camera reacts to different settings as normal (the auto part of the exposure reacts to my aperture changing). also this still happens on auto.

I am clueless! I have searched the whole internet for this problem only 2 threads have been like my problem. I just wondered if anyone on this forum ever had this problem?

So the camera is taking a picture, but it is very dark? Can you post an example?

What is the subject/conditions and what are the camera settings - shutter speed, f/number, ISO? It sounds like just severe under exposure... :thinking:

Are you trying to use flash?

Try resetting it to its factory default settings, something could have been changed by accident.

Check you haven't changed the exposure compensation settings, think they stay locked in

Last edited:
Try resetting it to its factory default settings, something could have been changed by accident.

Check you haven't changed the exposure compensation settings, think they stay locked in

I will try this right now, thanks

I will try this right now, thanks

If that doesn't work do as Hoppy suggested and post up an image with intact exif data.

Assuming the subject was not a black cat in a coal cellar, at night, it might be the shutter isn't opening at all.

It will probably make all the right noises, but take off the lens, set a long shutter speed like 1 second and fire the shutter. Can you see the sensor revealed? Very shiny/greenish looking jobbie, maybe coloured reflections visible on the surface? The shutter blinds themselves are matt black, but if the shutter is opening you shouldn't be able to see those.

Last edited:
Assuming the subject was not a black cat in a coal cellar, at night, it might be the shutter isn't opening at all.

It will probably make all the right noises, but take off the lens, set a long shutter speed like 1 second and fire the shutter. Can you see the sensor revealed? Very shiny/greenish looking jobbie, maybe coloured reflections visible on the surface? The shutter blinds themselves are matt black, but if the shutter is opening you shouldn't be able to see those.

Also check that the mirror is going up, not seeing Live View would suggest that the mirror is staying put.

I couldn't fire the shutter with the lens off so I set a 30 sec exposure waited for it to be safe to take of the lens and had a look. There was a black like curtain over where you would expect the sensor (with the mirror flipped up) .

Also check that the mirror is going up, not seeing Live View would suggest that the mirror is staying put.

I can hear it flip up like it used to when I hit live view :shrug:

Gonna give Jessops a call cos this isn't normal!

I can hear it flip up like it used to when I hit live view :shrug:

Gonna give Jessops a call cos this isn't normal!

Looks like it's bust and the shutter just isn't opening, even though it might run up and down and appear to be working normally :(

yup sounds like the shutter has dies.
1 week old (from a shop) is short enough to return it.

Might be a blessing in disguise and they will exchange it for a Canon :)

Seriously now sorry mate, that is hard luck, don't let them fob you off with a repair and get your money back rather than just swap for a new camera

Always best then you can buy again with the full 12 month warranty

Back