d3200 or d3300

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys

I'm looking at getting my first dslr and been thinking about either the d3200 or d3300. Is there much of an improvement in the d3300? And is the 18-55 kit lens any good as can get the d3200 with a 55-200 lens for the same price as the d3300 with 18-55.

Thanks

Adam

If it was me I would go for the D3200 with kit lens and 55-200 if it's the same price as the D3300. I have the D3100 and at the time chose that over the D3200. Couldn't see the point in paying more for a very similar camera with a few extra MP's.
The 55-200 lens is a good lens too.

i am looking to make the same decision as this very one! I agree with silverman, i am swaying towards the D3200 as it seems to offer greater value for money with very little differences.

Get a 2nd hand d7000 or 60d. They are much easier to use (2nd wheel) for pretty low prices

Delete: I was referring to an old thread.:oops: :$

Last edited:
The D3200 is currently better value than the D3300, but neither have Bracketing capability, High Speed Sync flash capability, Master Flash capability or a body focus screw drive for non AF-S lenses. The D7000 has all of these and there are plenty around secondhand, so I would entirely agree with the OPs second post.

Haha Yeah I got the 60d jack but darthtata has just posted in one of my first threads when I was looking at a d3300. I'm more then happy with choosing the 60d for the extra features etc and d7000 would have been an equally good choice I believe. Tbh I think I'd be looking to upgrade with to a model with dual control wheels by now if I had bought the d3200 or d3300 so definitely something to think about darthtata85

Doh, I thought Adam had bought a camera, teach me to check the dates of thread creations.:oops: :$

I was reading a thread the other day and you was giving advice, I thought from your written advice you have come on a long way in short space of time.

Last edited:
Haha thanks. Shame the photos don't show that! Tbh I spend majority of my free time reading sites/these forums and spent a lot of time researching for my first camera etc.. just hope the advice isn't wrong!

I am newish to photography (3.5 years approx) and this site is invaluable for information & help. It's a steep learning curve. Only now I am starting to look into processing as I usually dont have the patience for it, I like to shot! I have a better understanding of my camera since changing to Fuji XT1 from Nikon D7000. With the dials its easy to see where youre going wrong and then to correct, especially with the exposure compensation dial.

Haha yeah I still have no idea on processing but getting the time to play around with lightroom or go through the thousands of tutorials is hard. One day we will get there.. still trying to decide on a tripod, wireless (not ir) shutter release, bag, 2nd lens thinking the 55-250 is stm at minute and so much more to buy haha

I'm in the procees of looking for a tripod, been looking at the Redsnapper which seem popular on here especially for the price. The RSF-284M also has an in-built monopod which could be handy. We also get a 10% discount if code RED10 is used when purchasing. I can use my phone to fire the camera.

As for bags, I have bought and sold two Think Tank Retrospective 7 bags as they were too heavy and then bought a Crumpler Light Delight 600. I have since purchased a Tokina ATX 100-300mm f4 lens (Fuji have delayed there superzoom) and when mounted on body its too big for the Crumpler bag, I can see myself buying another Think Tank!

Link to redsnapper if needed > http://www.redsnapperuk.com/camera-accessories/RSF-284M___RSH-12_Ball_Head.html

Last edited:
Ah I like the look of that tripod. Could be a possibility at that price.. Looking for a messenger bag/sling type as I take it out a lot for days with kids but don't want it to look too much like a camera bag

This is the bag I have now. I also had one when I had my D7000, It would carry the Tamron 28-85 f2.8 and Tamron 70-300mm VC with room to spare. I got mine from ebay for £45.00, but I think I had the last one. It doesnt screem camera bag. The Think Tanks are also fantastic bags but their pricey at £115.00 which I paid for mine

http://www.crumpler.eu/index.cfm?se...ight-Delight---4000&sprache=EN&productID=8870

Last edited:
The red snappers are good, I have one and it's adequate for my d7k.

David do you have the 284m I have linked above?? If so how do you find setting it up along with the monopod. I dont really want one, due to space issues (furniture and the way our windows open) for the bird feeder area I want to take photo's of. I will possibly set it up out the back and use remote.
Fuji have delayed the supertele and I have bought an old Tokina 100-300mm f4 which is a heavy beast for me, so I need some stability.

Last edited:
Looks like a good bag there. Was looking at the lowepro event messenger 150 or lowepro passport sling bag.

I tried the sling as they had them in Currys, it didnt sit comfortable, I thnk the strap was too short for me. The 150 looks a nice bag and good value.

Just doesnt seem to have water resistance or a rain cover from the looks of things. Not that I'm planning on walking around in the rain anytime soon but you gotta love the great British weather... was thinking the 150 then get a waterproofing spray to try add some slight protection

Although the light delight 6000 is only £43 on amazon so that could be tempting as it says it's waterproof. The waterproofing any good jack?

Yeah I do. The monopod is good but it's not tall enough for me to be of any use. I had considered selling it tbh as like I said, it just doesn't get used for the correct purpose. It's also gone up quite a bit, it was £90 when I bought it.

Although the light delight 6000 is only £43 on amazon so that could be tempting as it says it's waterproof. The waterproofing any good jack?

The material is like a nylon effect, so I would pressume it's waterproof, not that I have tried. looking at specs it seems it is. What I also like, is that theres a velcro and buckle type fitting to closure of bag, a lot of the newer bags just have a magnetic catch. There are bags out there with rain covers, my Think Tank had them, to be honest I couldn't be bothered about getting that out the covering bag, may aswell have waterproof bag from the off.

>http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Crumpler-...ase-BLUE-/121187777352?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Last edited:
Yeah I do. The monopod is good but it's not tall enough for me to be of any use. I had considered selling it tbh as like I said, it just doesn't get used for the correct purpose. It's also gone up quite a bit, it was £90 when I bought it.

They are now £117 with money off code. I'm not hundred percent on using one, would I be bothered setting one up in garden, then faffing around as soon as a shower starts. I think I may get a monopod first and see how I go with that. How high does the monopod go with head on? I'm 6ft tall so I assume it's going to be too short for me, but I suppose I could sit by back door and use. Due to my disabilities It's not something I would take out and would only be used around the home.

Hi All,

I dont understand the benefits of buying an older model? when you weigh up the comparison - image quality etc...the D3200/D3300 comes out on top.....Sorry that probably sounds like something a complete newbie would say! Feel free to enlighten this n000b!

Useability is far superior on a bigger model such as the D7000. It has everything you would frequently change on the body rather than it being hidden away in a menu's sub menu... I tried out a D3200 that a family member had just bought and it took me 10 minutes to find out how to change the iso. :D

Because the iq difference will be barely noticeable if at all. Are you planning on going over a3 prints? If not the 24 mp won't make a difference really. The d7000 or 60d have features that the other models don't as they are higher end models such as the dual control wheels. How many shots could you miss by having to scroll through a menu every time you want to change aperature or shutter speed etc when you could just move a dial..

Think of it this way.. would you prefer a 4 year old Ferrari or a brand new Ford fiesta?

I hear what your saying, but if i take a photo on a D3200 say and take the same picture on D7100 would it look any different?

About 4.5-5ft iirc Jack. It would be good if you're sat down but pretty useless if stood up. It would work well with an XT. ;)

Is it with the ballhead, let me know if decide to sell and you can place an ad in classifieds;) I'm probably going to wait a couple of weeks though, got an expensive month.

Not especially but will be much easier to take that picture... If you have to go through menus to change settings you might not even get the picture u wanted if subject is moving etc with the extra dials you can change settings so much quicker. Makes life easier. If you went with a single dial entry level camera it wouldn't be long till you wanted dual dials. like I say I went through same ordeal as you recently and believe I made the right choice for me at least. I would get so frustrated with one dial

There will be shots that can be taken with the D7000 series that are not readily feasible on the D3000 series. Portraits in the sun might need a high shutter speed and some fill in flash from a speedlight, which the D3200 can't do. Want an HDR image, manual exposure adjustment only on the D3200. 70-300mm AF-G lens, the cheapest admittedly rather ordinary long reach lens is manual focus only on the D3200. Off camera flash isn't built in either. Now this may not matter a jot to some users, as always it's an assessment of which functions are useful or not. The D3200 was my first DSLR and I quickly outgrew its limitations and bought the D7000, which was half the price of the then recently new D7100.

Thanks Adam, i guess i dont know much about photography at this stage....would i need to change the settings frequently when for example shooting the same thing? let me give you an example, i am going on a cruise...say i was taking photos of scenary, would i be changing settings much? or would i only need to make changes to the settings when i changed subject ....i.e a portrait or sporty object?

Maybe the clouds will cover the sun and drastically change the lighting so you have to change iso, shutter speed or aperature but have to go through a menu to do it. Landscapes aren't so bad as I'm hoping it won't move...but portraits, wildlife, street photography etc all change constantly so could easily miss shots changing settings

Hi Jack. Just had a quick look at the RS site and mine is the 284 with the 61 ball head and they're still £90. It comes with the bag and extra centre column too. I reckon postage would kill the price though unless I found a private courier?

Hi Adam, I just had a look at the functions and it looks like you can assign I so setting to the command wheel and rolling that whilst pressing the function button changes the I so simply

Trust me, you'll kick yourself... don't get obsessed with megapixel and non existant improved IQ. The improved useability of a higher end model will pay dividend big time.

It also has a bigger set of features.

Hi Minnnt the megapixel count isn't drawing me in. I know nothing about photography and I have a limited budget. I would love to go higher end but money doesn't allow it ( thus buying it through jessops on a 0% deal)

I want something that can teach me how to take a good photo as a complete beginner. Always liked Nikon

Back