D3300 with Sigma DG 120-400

Name
William
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all. I am mainly interested in aviation photography. I am very much an entry level photographer and have baulked at the cost of even most second hand lenses. I’ve got a Nikon D3300 and my previous go-to lens for airshows is a Tamron 70-300 4-5.6, which has been pretty good. I’ve been looking for a bit more of a grown-up lens and found what looked like a really good deal on a Sigma DG 120-400mm. This lens is much beefier than the Tamron and has optical stabilisation as well as 100mm more reach. My initial searches showed that the combination of D3300 and Sigma lens should have been compatible. Unfortunately once I received the lens I found that the AF did not work. When I flick the AF switch on the lens, the focus indication on the camera starts flickering like it can’t decide between AF and MF. A bit of reading around suggests that it might be a firmware issue. I then got the Sigma lens USB lens doc but have found that it is not compatible with my lens - this might be because the lens is discontinued by Sigma.

So. Before I go throwing more money at this or just take up knitting. Can anyone suggest a way forward for me. Is this the lens just not compatible with the body at all? Is it possible that it is a firmware issue and that there is a way to fix it? Is it just that I might have bought a duff lens?

Help please!

The 120-400 does have compatibility problems with some Nikons, you would need to contact Sigma to check the situation.

nbaker, yes thank you, I’d seen that before and noted that my lens falls within that serial range. As I’ve bought it second hand are Sigma likely to still be providing that support? Especially as it’s a post from 9 years ago? I’m also not sure that the issue described is the problem I’m having.

I can only suggest that you do contact them and tell them that your lens is one listed in the recall and see what they have to say.

If the lens is still supported by sigma , then it might be the case of having a chip fitted ,but I think you will find that the d3300 is the problem anyway.. the lower end models don’t like pushing big focus motors

do tell them on what camera body though

Back