D3500 Live view black and no longer taking photos.

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
So one of my colleagues at work knocked the Tripod over with our d3500 on it.

Unfortunately since this the camera is no longer taking photos.

Sensor seems to be intact, mirror is operating, screen is working, however as soon as we drop into live view we get a white screen.
As soon as we take an image we either get a black screen or really funky lines on the back screen. (funnily enough the black image changes depending on the focal length of the camera)

Just wondered if anyone had any suggestions? Can you factory reset these devices or is there any diagnostics which can be ran before I look for a replacement?

Many thanks

Modern cameras are in effect computers with a lens attached........think of it this, if you dropped your tablet or laptop and had the screen(amongst other non performing issues) go black/white/whizzy colours

What would next action be, an attempt at DIY repair or get a quote? Bearing mind the age of the body I surmise any repairs would be uneconomic. Furthermore, IMO you should get the lens checked out and/or replaced as being more delicate (optically etc) it too may have been damaged!

Have you taken card from camera and checked still records images, if ok then might have use viewfinder rather than live view.

is it insured?

Unfortunately the camera isn't insured, weve had it for some time to be honnest,
I did contact someone for repairs but advised they generally don't touch dslrs and most repair guys would charge £100 to even quote for it.
I fully understand the complexity of the camera and I wouldn't be able to do a repair myself on a camera.

The screen does work, on the camera, I can view images, it's just when taking images I don't get anything at all.
Although when you said about the lens having an issue, Ill try one of my lenses on the body before assuming the sensor has packed in (which I do suspect is the case) the one thing which did throw me was the fact that if it was the sensor, why would it change from pure black to lines based on the focal length of the lens.

Unfortunately the camera isn't insured, weve had it for some time to be honnest,
I did contact someone for repairs but advised they generally don't touch dslrs and most repair guys would charge £100 to even quote for it.
I fully understand the complexity of the camera and I wouldn't be able to do a repair myself on a camera.

The screen does work, on the camera, I can view images, it's just when taking images I don't get anything at all.
Although when you said about the lens having an issue, Ill try one of my lenses on the body before assuming the sensor has packed in (which I do suspect is the case) the one thing which did throw me was the fact that if it was the sensor, why would it change from pure black to lines based on the focal length of the lens.
Just to clarify based on my reading your posts

With the body & lens that hit the floor......
  1. You can see the images already taken before the incident on the card when reviewed on the rear screen?
  2. But when you take other post incident images all you see is black, white etc oddness?
Now, can you please try another lens and determine if you can take pictures that show on the screen when reviewed?

Next, what about by comparison to the above when using Liveview.....does that give a different outcome?

In other words you need to be more structured in your testing, as outlined above, to determine if the sensor is at fault and whether the lens is a contributing factor. Second guessing by asking, without such testing, how come I see black, white etc on the screen is not the way to approach fault diagnosis.

Managed to had a troubleshoot on it with a different lens...

- live view shows a white screen, when I change the focal length, this displays random coloured lines on the screen (no image)
- looking through the diopter I can see the lens focus etc.
- taking a picture is a fully black image
-trying a different lens has the same result
-auto focus works
- images stored in the memory card display on the screen.
- I've locked the mirror and no visible cracks or smashes on the sensor
- video mode results in a black video

Everything else on the camera seems to click, view, focus, flash etc.
The only thing it doesn't do is take a photo. I am heavily pointing towards a sensor failure to be honnest, in which case I think it's going to be worth just a replacement camera.

If you are planning on replacing it with another one, the D3400 is the same except it has a slightly different layout and a function button.

Just looking at a d3400 on mbp can pick one up for a couple of hundred pounds so not too bad!

Back