D3S vs D500?

Edit My Images
No
In need of better low-light capability - currently use a pair of D300. Very much budget constrained and these two look the best bet as far as I can see.

D500 probably the logical choice, especially to keep reach* which works for me plus extra px for print but just not sure.......also not sure why but D3S ergonomics look much closer to D300, which I love.

What are people's experience of AF accuracy/consistency between the two? I shoot horses, and the D300 is fine in terms of speed if I give it a fair chance, it can get challenged by lack of contrast.

All general thoughts and input welcome.

*Solved by adding a 300mm 2.8, obv :)

There are trade-offs either way.
The D3S was known as the low light king and is very very good but the speed and AF accuracy of the D500 is (IMO) unequalled.
Considerable difference in pixel numbers and you need to consider the possibility of spares problems with the D3S

I would agree with gramps. I use a D500 for rugby in some poorly lit pitches and have had no problem.

Get the newer D500. I had a D4 in the past and what a chore to carry that lump around was

Dealt on a near mint 44/- click D3S at £635 with 1 yr guarantee.

Lovely images and massively liberating being able to get enough DoF and a fast enough shutter without worrying about noise.

Acid test will be indoor SJ this Sunday!

i done a low league footy game with a D500 a while back and thought the noise was "acceptable" i don't have the originals but i have a few on flickr mostly around the iso 5k mark but 1 or 2 above, found one at 11400, you welcome to look at.

Cant help with comparisons as ive never had a D3s

Dealt on a near mint 44/- click D3S at £635 with 1 yr guarantee.

Lovely images and massively liberating being able to get enough DoF and a fast enough shutter without worrying about noise.

Acid test will be indoor SJ this Sunday!

Used to make quite a good living as a weekend warrior shooting Show Jumping. As you know most indoor arenas are very poorly lit. I had great success with D3 and D4. The D3s is very capable. I was often at F2.8 1/250th ISO 6400. Printed and sold on the day, obviously I had an assistant running the store. Shot jpeg only straightened and cropped. Hectic times, thoroughly enjoyed it. Had to pack it in when my legs couldn’t be relied on to get me out of the way quickly enough. ..good fun though..

Sorry for the ramble. It’s an age thing.

1/250? Wow, I'd be up at 1/1000........I know the venue and the lighting is actually pretty good. Unlike one arena which was so dim that the only THREE useable shots still looked like something out of a very gloomy Ken Loach movie.

The on-site printing thing means more infrastrucure and then you get into the whole "STOLEN IMAGE" grumpy-watermark stuff....it's a lot of faff for not much gain, at least that's my current thinking.....I really shoot events as a way of building relationships for portrait and commissioned work.

Bad horses, running out. My view is that a horse will always try to not run you down unless it's truly lost the plot (which is rare), so staying still is the best option!

I think you made the right choice .... I shot my d3s for low light sport and it was superb. No issues with noise or speed. I used some gold compact flash cards - whatever they are from Sandisk - and the buffer clears nice and quick and the files aren’t huge.
In all honesty - it’s the best camera I’ve ever used - a real joy. If you can handle the weight (I like pro bodies) you’ll love it.

I used to do mixed indoor sports with a D3S and can only echo the sentiment above, despite the fact that I’m now looking at the smallest, lightest body possible, the D3S might be my most favourite body I’ve owned. I had it paired with the newer Sigma 120-300/2.8 and it was a dream.

Not surprised! I'm loving mine. First impressions:

Yes, high ISO is lovely. At 12800 in dire light getting images which print beautifully at 12x8.
More normal ISO are very very clean indeed, I reckon the right image could go up to 20x30 or more easily.
The big pixels really DO make a BIG difference, there's a real depth to the images. Slightly different colours to the D300, still getting my head round how to manage that.
AF clearly better than D300 but those saying the D500 would be a bigger leap are prob right.
Build quality great, shutter action esp very very sweet and the machine gun sound is so cool!
Only ergonomic niggle is the metering button is impossible to change on the fly, setting Fn to Spot meter solves that but means using an extra finger!

Enjoy yours! What lenses are you going to use on it? Mine is crying out for a 300mm, I know it wants one :) That and an 85mm 1.4. And a 200mm f2. All in due course, all in due course........

Not surprised! I'm loving mine. First impressions:

Yes, high ISO is lovely. At 12800 in dire light getting images which print beautifully at 12x8.
More normal ISO are very very clean indeed, I reckon the right image could go up to 20x30 or more easily.
The big pixels really DO make a BIG difference, there's a real depth to the images. Slightly different colours to the D300, still getting my head round how to manage that.
AF clearly better than D300 but those saying the D500 would be a bigger leap are prob right.
Build quality great, shutter action esp very very sweet and the machine gun sound is so cool!
Only ergonomic niggle is the metering button is impossible to change on the fly, setting Fn to Spot meter solves that but means using an extra finger!

Enjoy yours! What lenses are you going to use on it? Mine is crying out for a 300mm, I know it wants one :) That and an 85mm 1.4. And a 200mm f2. All in due course, all in due course........
The 200 f2 with the D3s would be sensational. But watch out - it’s a seriously , seriously awkward lens to use without a monopod / tripod

That would be solved by the S, twice as big a buffer.

Must say the more I get to know the camera the more I enjoy and admire it. I accept all the AF and Mp arguments for the D500 but I picked up one and had play the other day and the ergonomics felt rather less nice (to me) than the D300 and D3S.

Faffing now over getting a 300mm, I know I will before long! Mixing and matching that with those bodies and a 1.4TC would give a seriously wide range of options.

Back