D4 lens stuck....

Name
Steve Hall
Edit My Images
No
Been using my 400mm f2.8 quite a bit recently as have moved into sport photography, usually it shoots maybe 1% of what I do but quality>quantity, right? Anyway, seems this lens has decided it's got a full time job now as it won't come off of my D4. Press the release button, does nothing - just feels exactly as it would if you didn't press the button. So my question: does anyone know how to release the bloody thing when the button isn't doing the business?

FWIW and only a general thought.....that may be applicable to all makes?

The pin AFAIK is spring loaded and it's release button, so to speak "defeats" the spring allowing to drop/be drawn into the body

If the release mechanism has weakened it may fail if the lens is pressing against the pin such that the button fails to act.

Therefore and possibly stating the obvious.....as many lenses when mounted have slight rotational movement, perhaps whilst pressing the release button 'wriggle' the lens to relieve the pressure on the pin that I allude to above???

Best of luck sorting out.

You've pretty much covered all that I've done so far; wriggling it around whilst pointing up, sideways, downwards. Nothing. It feels like the release is doing nothing. Wouldn't be such a problem with my 24-70 as that's on there 90% of the time, sods law it happens with a lens I use so rarely and I have a big shoot later this week which will need the 24-70... grrrr

Ah! a pity

Hopefully any Nikon users here at TP and (especially?) D4 users might have more insights? IIRC @sk66 is a Nikon user with an engineering knowledge :thinking:

Last edited:
Found this...

Maybe no help on this occasion

I managed to bend the locking pin by swinging a big lens around by the camera body. Push harder... if you're lucky the pin will release. It only takes a slight bend to prevent it from releasing normally.

Once I got it apart I manually straightened the pin and slightly oversized the hole in the lens mount; never had an issue w/ it again.

It's also possible that the pin has separated from the release mechanism and is free floating/bound. If it won't come apart there is a service notch in many Nikon lens mounts for the release pin. You can make a flat lever (bend a small cheap screwdriver) to get in there and lever the release pin out of the way.

Screenshot-2023-03-06-at-9.14.29-AM.jpg

Last edited:
@sk66 a good call about the 'service notch'.................hopefully the solution once a suitable 'tool' is fabricated :) Though if the pin is damaged/misbehaving I wonder if @trackdemon 24-70 has the same notch? If not, he risks getting that one stuck requiring Nikon support :thinking:

@sk66 a good call about the 'service notch'.................hopefully the solution once a suitable 'tool' is fabricated :) Though if the pin is damaged/misbehaving I wonder if @trackdemon 24-70 has the same notch? If not, he risks getting that one stuck requiring Nikon support :thinking:
It's mostly the big/heavy lenses that have the notch; I can check my 24-70 and see...

Hmmm. Thanks for suggestions thus far; I've not made any progress. Lens seems just 'stuck' like the release is either not working or as some have suggested something has deformed and is now not releasing as it should. I'm 50% resigned to sending it somewhere to be fixed but would prefer to (at least) get it off myself, at least I could get the 24-70 on it which I use 90%+ of the time anyway...
Is there something I can do to release it other than the 'correct' way with the button?

Hmmm. Thanks for suggestions thus far; I've not made any progress. Lens seems just 'stuck' like the release is either not working or as some have suggested something has deformed and is now not releasing as it should. I'm 50% resigned to sending it somewhere to be fixed but would prefer to (at least) get it off myself, at least I could get the 24-70 on it which I use 90%+ of the time anyway...
Is there something I can do to release it other than the 'correct' way with the button?
uhm... post #6...

I’ve had this issue before, I had to use force and actually push the lens into the body more than normal before twisting, that done the trick.

I've given it a pretty good go with force but I'm reluctant to try 'too' hard in case I make things worse. It has to be with this lens (that I hardly use) doesn't it :D

As home fix hasn't worked it sounds like I'll be engaging professionals, any recommendations in Essex? NPS booted me when they renewed their system and I haven't reregistered yet.

I've given it a pretty good go with force but I'm reluctant to try 'too' hard in case I make things worse. It has to be with this lens (that I hardly use) doesn't it :D

As home fix hasn't worked it sounds like I'll be engaging professionals, any recommendations in Essex? NPS booted me when they renewed their system and I haven't reregistered yet.
Did you look for the 'service notch' referenced by @sk66 in post #6? As he says that all(most?) bigger Nikon lenses have the notch.......for the very purpose of releasing a jammed lens?

Just looked at a photo of a 400mm mount and it appears to have the service notch referenced by Steven.
Must be worth a try, if not I've got an angle grinder and I'm only in Cambs so the offer is there.

If you can stand crossing the bridge to Kent I can recomend this chap. He works from home and I've used him a few times.

I've used Miles before, good guy! But as you allude to, the trip over to Kent isn't particularly alluring from a cost & time POV. I'll try the suggestions earlier in the post and if not then I'll give him a shout...

I've used Miles before, good guy! But as you allude to, the trip over to Kent isn't particularly alluring from a cost & time POV. I'll try the suggestions earlier in the post and if not then I'll give him a shout...
On the surmise that Miles has a suitable tool to access the 'Nikon lens service notch' (maybe more than one?) and as you have used his services in the past.......would he perhaps agree to post one to you on a days hire/loan???

Tbf it has been years since I used Miles since I was registered with NPS and of course we all know Nikon kit is usually ultra reliable so I've not had much need for services :D Interesting thought though and on the flipside if it's straightforward then he may very well be able to detatch the lens whilst I wait. Hopefully I'll be able to do it myself from the suggestions here, if not then I'll explore 'options'....

I managed to bend the locking pin by swinging a big lens around by the camera body. Push harder... if you're lucky the pin will release. It only takes a slight bend to prevent it from releasing normally.

Once I got it apart I manually straightened the pin and slightly oversized the hole in the lens mount; never had an issue w/ it again.

It's also possible that the pin has separated from the release mechanism and is free floating/bound. If it won't come apart there is a service notch in many Nikon lens mounts for the release pin. You can make a flat lever (bend a small cheap screwdriver) to get in there and lever the release pin out of the way.

View attachment 383212
Thanks very much for this! I've just been having a look and sadly I don't think the 400 has this notch - I can't see anything on the lens where it attaches to the body other than an external lever which doesn't release it. If anybody has any other suggestions much appreciated :D

Thanks very much for this! I've just been having a look and sadly I don't think the 400 has this notch - I can't see anything on the lens where it attaches to the body other than an external lever which doesn't release it. If anybody has any other suggestions much appreciated :D
I assure you it does...
That pic is of an older 400/2.8 AFS, this pic is of the much newer 400/2.8 FL... both have the notch. To my knowledge only the new Z 400/2.8 TC S lens doesn't have it.

Screenshot-2023-03-09-at-2.42.32-PM.jpg

But it will be hidden behind the weather seal...

Untitled.jpg

I assure you it does...
That pic is of an older 400/2.8 AFS, this pic is of the much newer 400/2.8 FL... both have the notch. To my knowledge only the new Z 400/2.8 TC S lens doesn't have it.

View attachment 383554

But it will be hidden behind the weather seal...

View attachment 383555
Progress! The weather seal is very stiff so I can't get it to peel back as much in your pic, but going into the same location with a tiny screwdriver I think I've found the notch. I'm wiggling the screwdriver around but there's no real 'feel' back from it so I can't tell if I'm getting it into the right spot - kinda going in blind really. Is there a particular way to move it to release the lens? Thanks for the guidance so far

Is there a particular way to move it to release the lens?
You're trying to slip it in-between the pin and the lens mount... so angle it as close to the lens as possible; you'll probably need to bend the screwdriver to create a bit of a "pry bar" out of it, and you may need to sand/file it down to a thinner edge. Once you get it in place, lever the pin back down into the camera's lens mount (into the camera body).

Quick update... again thanks for all your help with this. I've not been able to properly get into the service notch (the seal at the base of my 400 is very very stiff so difficult to lever back for a proper look) with anything but a very thin screwdriver which I fear will simply snap in there if I apply too much force. So I'd like to just take to a professional who can have a look - sadly Miles is semi retired and can't accommodate. He has recommended a different place but it's a bit further than I'd like to travel, so my question has evolved now to asking if anybody is aware of a similar type of business who could look at this for me in Essex? If not Essex then essentially as close to Southend as possible (London is a non starter really).

Also, further learnings: I'll never pickup my D4/400mm by the body again!!!

"as close to Southend as possible (London is a non starter really)."
Sorry fella, it'd be a day gone getting it over and a day collecting (plus CC & ULEZ) hence saying London is a non starter for me....

Spoke to the chap, he's semi retired but as it's a fairly simple issue he's going to have a look - I bagged another D4 from MPB in the meantime as I have shoots on and can't be without sufficient cameras. Thanks for the tip though - where did you find him?
That's great to hear! Hope you get it sorted.

I googled something or other and it came up - guess I got lucky

Holy thread revival! Just thought it worth an update as frankly I wouldn't have gotten to where I am without the help here especially from @sk66 so thanks for that. I persevered with using the 400 permanently attached to the D4 for a while as I bought another body so had full use of 24-70 & 70-200 which are the mainstay of what I do. But it got worse as the D4/400 stopped talking to each other and I could clearly see the lens mount was loose in the body.

So I had another go with some new tools, referencing the way the mechanism works in my other bodies. Once into the service notch (accepting I was damaging the rubber seal), managed to get a feel for it and levered the locking pin into the body - bingo, lens off easily. With the lens off I was able to remove the lens mount to have a look as the locking pin wasn't moving at all - turns out it had snapped off in the mount. So with the mount removed I levered the snapped end out and put it back together, tested and everything works perfectly - except of course the lens isn't locking onto the body. I'll enquire how easy (or not) it is to replace this as I'm fairly confident to have a go myself but at least in the meantime I can use it with care.

Cheers for the help folks!

Last edited:
Holy thread revival! Just thought it worth an update as frankly I wouldn't have gotten to where I am without the help here especially from @sk66 so thanks for that. I persevered with using the 400 permanently attached to the D4 for a while as I bought another body so had full use of 24-70 & 70-200 which are the mainstay of what I do. But it got worse as the D4/400 stopped talking to each other and I could clearly see the lens mount was loose in the body.

So I had another go with some new tools, referencing the way the mechanism works in my other bodies. Once into the service notch (accepting I was damaging the rubber seal), managed to get a feel for it and levered the locking pin into the body - bingo, lens off easily. With the lens off I was able to remove the lens mount to have a look was the locking pin wasn't moving at all - turns out it had snapped off in the mount. So with the mount removed I levered the snapped end out and put it back together, tested and everything works perfectly - except of course the lens isn't locking onto the body. I'll enquire how easy (or not) it is to replace this as I'm fairly confident to have a go myself but at least in the meantime I can use it with care.

Cheers for the help folks!
Good to hear that you resolved it.........or at least solved the direct problem with potential for a complete solution ;)

I'll enquire how easy (or not) it is to replace this as I'm fairly confident to have a go myself but at least in the meantime I can use it with care.
Glad you got it sorted.
Replacing the locking pin is quite easy; but getting the part isn't (anymore). This part is listed as being for the D4, but I think most of the DSLRs use the same one. You can also find replacement lens mount seals on Ebay if you did damage it... I think those are also widely interchangeable.

Last edited:
Glad you got it sorted.
Replacing the locking pin is quite easy; but getting the part isn't (anymore). This part is listed as being for the D4, but I think most of the DSLRs use the same one.
Cheers - funnily enough I've already got a tab open with that very link, one of the first that came up. It looks a little different to what I'd expect but given the dearth of other suppliers I figure it's worth the risk of ordering. At least I can use the 400 on next weeks shoot, just swapping it on a working body.

Back