D40 upgrade advice!

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, this is my first thread on here. I have been busy over the last few weeks reading threads/post etc - there is so much great info here.

Anyways, my current setup is a Nikon D40 with kit lens but i also have the Nikon 18-200 VR II which obviously i use over the kit lens.

I've had my D40 just over a year now and feel the time has come to upgrade my camera body. I think the D40 takes some great pictures but am starting to want more features like bracketing etc.
It has to be a Nikon really as i want to keep my 18-200 vr. I had the D90 in mind as i dont really want to spend more than 550 -600 oh and i don't care about shooting video its just a bonus for the D90

Is there any other models/advice to consider?

Thanks

Last edited:
You'd be able to get either the D90 or a D300 (secondhand) with that budget, but it would be worth trying to get a try of one (that goes for the D90 too) first before parting with any cash as it's a much bigger and much heavier camera than what you're used to.

I made the move your thinking of from D40-D90
I would love my D90 and it's a huge jump from the D40 in terms of function and options, but as had been rightly pointed out you pay for in weight!

I'd probably still do it though!

Did same upgrade and was really glad, D90 has so many controls available directly where the D40 you have to hunt through menus. Things like changing WB, ISO, image output format, AF mode (if you set the custom button), bracketing etc.

Most people I know with a D40/D60 went to the D90 as an upgrade. I would say go to the D300 as mentioned up.

I'd have a play with the D5100 as well, I find the D300 a bit too heavy/big/awkward to carry but would check the D90 as well.

Ultimately I'd wait a few more months to find a s/h D7000. There have been £700 refurbished ones if you are patient enough.

I went D60 to D3100, very happy. Much better dynamic range, resulting in far fewer blown out skies. I love the size, weight and handling too. Live view and video, seemed pointless before, but I use them all the time now. Still just about small enough to be a holiday camera.

I went d40 > d300 - and never looked back. Took a while to make up my mind between the d90 and the d300 and the prospect of waiting for something else and I'm very pleased I went with the D300. Not sure why you'd wait for the d7000 from what I've heard/read.

D90 is a superb little camera. My son changed from Canon 30D to Nikon and I managed to get a D90 with only 1200 actuations for him second hand for £490, I use a D3S at work but was very impressed with the build quality and image results of the D90. Don't forget as well that it will work with the full range of Nikon lenses.

Wilkinsons cameras got a b-stock d90 with 18-105 lens for £599, best I've seen around. £449 body only too.

Last edited:
Back