D4s or D850?

mex

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been eyeing up a D4s with relatively low actuations and a D850 with roughly the same on the clock, it would primarily be used for shooting birds/wildlife, what would you get and why?
Edit: price difference is that the 850 is nearly £300 more.
Edit,edit: primarily used with 500mm PF and mkiii 1.4 t/c.

Last edited:
D850, the AF is good (not as good as tthe D500) and the resolution is amazing ... you can crop and still get great detail.

Reactions: mex
For low light you'll be far better off with the D4s - depends if you want to shoot above ISO 1600 and still retain high IQ. Faster frame rate for relatively close birds in flight

For all other scenarios the D850 will win - better IQ at 'reasonable' ISO's, more pixies to play with. I tried that same combo with flying guillemots at Bempton and it did struggle a little on the AF front, but for the slower moving gannets it was fine and the final output was lovely

Mike

I agree with Mike... but also consider the final use of the images; if it is primarily web/computer based you will seldom have any need for the resolution of the D850. If I could only have one for all things action/wildlife, and most typical uses/outputs, it would be the D4s.

D4s for me. I looked at the D850 but I don’t need the resolution.

OP - how are you finding it? I ask because I came here to ask a very similar question.

OP - how are you finding it? I ask because I came here to ask a very similar question.

As a camera for wildlife it is probably the best thing I have used, however it's heavy to carry around. I now also have a Z6 and with a 500 PF its considerably lighter so that gets out far more than D4s. The D4s is the kiddie though when used from the car or in a hide.

Back