D4s versus D810 for planes

Name
Mervyn
Edit My Images
Yes
Have also been fishing for comments in the Talk Equipment forum.
Would appreciate any comments on which is the better camera for planes/air shows. Already have used the 810 but a little disappointed with the results. Gear or operator error??!!

D4S will have better fps and AF is going to be faster than the D810, horses for courses really.
I find the D810 fine for BIF but I don't machine gun and BIF isn't going at the speed of a jet.

D4S will have better fps and AF is going to be faster than the D810, horses for courses really.
I find the D810 fine for BIF but I don't machine gun and BIF isn't going at the speed of a jet.

:agree:

Another Advantage with Planes over birds also for in flight stuff is you can predict better where their next movements are going to be in my experience. The D4s would be the best camera for the job if you have the right lenses, if you lack on reach the D810's 36mp will make up for that when cropping in PP, either way both cameras are move than capable of doing the job for your needs :)

I have a 300/2.8 with 14TC II AND 20 TC III. Also the 70-200 and new 80-400. Do landscapes also but have passion for planes. I think the D4s will do both well but the D810 probably scores on landscapes

I am using a D4s, it is super quick on the focus also if you take a long burst it will write to the card very quickly allowing you to release the shutter, recompose and resume with a long burst with no apparent slow down in frame rate. I shoot in 14bit RAW also.
I took this with the D4s af-s 300 f2.8 and TC1.4II

Untitled by Andrew Morris,

Cheers.

Having said all that, it is worth having the lens serviced first, depending on the age and previous use of course.

Andrew that's a stunning image, well done. I hated the XQD card, had two of them and they lost their grip in the card holder. Very expensive. Do you use your D4 for landscapes and general? My 300/2.8 has been little used and my TC III is virtually new so hopefully not faulty
Cheers

Thank you Merv, I mainly use my D4s for the fast jets and motorsport, however I have used it for general stuff with a little landscape and wildlife. I am happy with what it does there and all.
Cheers.

Thanks Andrew. Still thinking of D4s!!!

Have read a lot over the last few hours and it appears that the 36Mp count greatly increases the difficulty of getting sharp images. Seems like a double edged sword.
A lot of contributors have resorted to the D4s for planes etc while the D810 is great for static stuff like landscapes and portraits. Looks like it has to be a D4s!

In that case you have the experience of the D810, it may be worth hiring a D4s to try out first.

Back