D5 or D40..... that is the question?

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking to get a second camera body, mainly for wildlife shots. I already have a Canon 5D and love it but I'm aware that with a crop-sensor I can get more bang for my buck out of a 100-400mm lens.

So, the basic question is............ for wildlife photography - would you go with a 5D at 12+ megapixles which alows for more croping on the PC back at base or go for a 40D at 10.1 megapixles but with a crop sensor which gives far more 'effective reach' on a telephoto lens?

I hope that makes sense?! :thinking: Thanks in advance everybody.

Any thoughts would help.
Well, perhaps not 'any' but you know what I mean.
Cheers

Well its the 5D and the 40D which may help people being a little less confused?

Move over Adele...we're talking "real mens" cameras here....:LOL:

My personal opinion is that the money would be better spent on a lens than another 5D (you already have 2?) or a 40D. A 400/5.6 on a 5D should give you better quality than the 100-400 and the extra reach if needed can be obtained with a 1.4x T/C.

Bob

Adle's right though....I saw this earlier and assumed Nikon so didn't reply and I guess Nikon folk looked and realised it was Canon so didn't reply....maybe edit the title?

Question is do you need an extra camera body, as a back up maybe ? If not I would agree with Bob's comments on the 400mm f5.6. I saw some tests that Rob Galbraith did using both the 100-400 zoom and the 400mm, using a 1Dmkll. The prime, not unsurprisingly was better.

I did try to find the article but couldn't. However here is a link to another of Robs tests comparing the 2 lenses.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/DXO-Tests/dxo-canon-400mm.shtml

Found it

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/forgotten-400.shtml

Bob / Chappers........
Thanks for the replies and help. (y)

I need a second body as I'm off to Brazil for 4 months soon. The second body will be a back-up incase off accidents/failures and I wont have the option of buying another camera out there. I can also have a couple of lenses on the go at any one time.

I'm leaning towards getting the 40D as the money saving will allow me to get a new flash or more remote storage. However, is there a difference in image quality between the 5D and 40D? (aside from the f/f versus crop sensor aspect).

Well its the 5D and the 40D which may help people being a little less confused?
Wow :tumbleweed:

Back