D50 help please

Name
Paul.
Edit My Images
Yes
I managed to buy a D50 just as nikon stopped making them and due to various commitments have been unable to spend as much time as I would like with it. Anyway I've read the instruction manual, but am a bit unclear about P mode it says in the book that in this mode the camera sets the shutter speed and the aperture size but that it is variable using the command dial I've tried doing this but either the cameras broken or its not very variable at all. Any thoughts/help would be greatly received.

Manythanks in advance.

In P mode the camera chooses the best settings for you. To control both shutter and aperture you need to use the M mode.

*quick edit*
Just had a play with it. If you move the dial to the right a lot the camera will auto select the fastest shutter speed with the corresponding aperture that the lens can cope with. Move the dial to the left and it will select a smaller aperture (bigger F number) and will compensate with a slower shutter speed.

For maximum control I would still use M, A or S though.

Panzer

:agree: The best modes to use are A where you chose the aperture and the camera sets the shutter, S where you chose the shutter and the camera choses the aperture, or M fully manual

Didn't realise you could do that, but yes in P mode moving the command wheel should give you a selection of workable shutter/aperture combinations. P differs from Auto in that you can set things like the ISO yourself.

As said above, you're best using one of the other modes though if you want to get more out of the camera.

Any other problems with the D50, don't hesitate to ask.

The adjustments to settings in P mode may well only work whilst the camera is actually metering - so half-press the shutter then try it!

When I first got my D50 I found that if the flash was going to fire then turning the thumb wheel when in P mode had naff all effect. Soon stopped using it and went to Aperture priority mode.

99% of my shots are taken in Aperture priority mode. I sometimes switch to full manual if im doing things like IR shots, or very long exposures. Ive never used P or any of the portait modes etc.

I fail to see any value in P mode. It is like using Av or Tv but with an added guessing game of wondering where it will radnomly start so that it can spoil your depth of field and/or attempts to capture motion.

Michael.

Well, it's just 'auto' mode except you can specify other things (such as ISO) manually. Not really necessary. Also, what are those other things on the dial? You know, the little pictures like portrait, sport, people, etc - those pre-defined settings? I hate them - it's a £400 camera, why would it need them?

Back