D500 for astrophotography

Name
Rick
Edit My Images
No
hi
I’ve a fairly good wildlife setup that I’m not using anymore. This includes a little used D500 and the 200-500. I’m now travelling all over the country and seeing some fantastic sites, and I’m drawn towards landscapes and the dark sky. It’s all new to me and I’m prepared to sell all my current birding gear and start again with full frame. Or should I keep my D500 and pick up a Tokina 11-20.
Just looking for advice, thanks.

No idea but maybe look at @swag72 website for info.

There’s a couple ways of looking at it...

One is that the D500 is miles better than anything lots of people used to take amazing astro starscapes so getting an UWA is the sensible choice to try it out with.

Another way of looking at it is that a modern full frame camera would be the best option and if you’re not going to shoot wildlife any more then you could easily sell your current kit and buy a decent FF camera (stick with Nikon - the sensors are better for this kind of thing) and lens. But then you wouldn’t have the wildlife option.

I’d probably go route 1 and if the bug really bit follow up with route 2 later down the line. Up to you really, either is a valid option.

There’s a couple ways of looking at it...

One is that the D500 is miles better than anything lots of people used to take amazing astro starscapes so getting an UWA is the sensible choice to try it out with.

Another way of looking at it is that a modern full frame camera would be the best option and if you’re not going to shoot wildlife any more then you could easily sell your current kit and buy a decent FF camera (stick with Nikon - the sensors are better for this kind of thing) and lens. But then you wouldn’t have the wildlife option.

I’d probably go route 1 and if the bug really bit follow up with route 2 later down the line. Up to you really, either is a valid option.

Thanks for the advice mate, I'm going route 1.

Back