d500 function buttons to change shutter speeds.

Name
gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi people,
I was wondering is there a way to use a desired function button to a program shutter mode. The problem im having is with stationary to moving birds.
I use back buttin focus with area focus and front button next to the lens for single point focus which i like and used for a while now. But when a bird is sitting on a bush, branch etc i can use a low shutter speed and get a nice quality image with low iso. But then the bird takes off into flight and dont have enough shutter speed to freeze the action and by the time i have moved my dial to suit i have lost the shot.
On the d7200 there was a program mode 1 and 2 which you could program them seperately to suit.
But if this was possible to change from a low shutter speed ,press a button in that moved to high desired shutterspeed bird in flight and once it lands release the button to bring the shutter speed back to the low setting.
Someone might have a solution,
Regards..Gary.

I don't recall that being an option ... have you tried manual mode with auto-ISO and adjusting shutter speed by the command wheel?

Hi gramps i always shoot in manual mode anduse auto iso but concentration on focus points as i dial in the shutterspeed first maybe its my only option.

You can do it but on the 'pro' level bodies they make it incredibly complicated imo. The way you do it is setting up custom banks (A, B, C, and D) for which you have photo settings and camera settings IIRC. It took me a while to get my head around it on the D850, but once you get there it works quite well albeit with one annoying caveat. If you change settings when in a custom bank it 'saves' that setting. For example if you have custom bank A set with 1/1000 shutter and change it during use to 1/250 then next time you use it it will still be at 1/250 and won't revert back to 1/1000 like it does on the other bodies that have U1, U2 custom settings.

You can do it but on the 'pro' level bodies they make it incredibly complicated imo. The way you do it is setting up custom banks (A, B, C, and D) for which you have photo settings and camera settings IIRC. It took me a while to get my head around it on the D850, but once you get there it works quite well albeit with one annoying caveat. If you change settings when in a custom bank it 'saves' that setting. For example if you have custom bank A set with 1/1000 shutter and change it during use to 1/250 then next time you use it it will still be at 1/250 and won't revert back to 1/1000 like it does on the other bodies that have U1, U2 custom settings.

Agree with the above, it is annoying that the bank settings don't retain SS. I used to have bank A for fast action parameters and bank B for when I needed a slow SS. Had both set in "My Menu" which I assign to Fn2. Nowadays I'm just using M plus Auto ISO.

GC

Last edited:
Back