D500 lossless thingy

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
D500 on its way. Looked up how many raw images could be stored on an XQD card. What are your thoughts re lossless compression, 14 bit, 12 bit thing? I shoot runners (not literally) and my photos are never BLOWN up to any great size.

Lossless compression is absolutely fine, you won't notice anything negative.
There was a report from a well known tog (forgotten who now!) that concluded that the difference between 14-bit and 12-bit was virtually unnoticeable for most users.

Thom Hogan says that in his e-book, and gives good advice as to best options for your type of shooting

Both mine are used in 14 bit, lossless compression, I get around 640 images on a 32GB XQD. Some of the guys I work with process the RAW themselves and prefer 14 bit, he who pays the piper...

GC

Thanks everyone. You've come up trumps again. PANAMOZ delivery time EXCVEPTIONAL! Both scared and excited to use it. First NEW camera I've ever bought.:banana:

Switching to 12 bit gives a capacity gain of circa 190 shots.

GC

You wont see a difference. I have seen tests with huge prints and even then the difference was not worth bothering about. The difference had to be pointed out to me with side by side examples

Photographing runners AF-C Release Release and Focus Focus and Release Focus Which one should I choose?

I use release priority... my thinking being that the subject may be w/in the DOF even if the camera isn't able to confirm focus at that moment. But you do record more OOF images...
If you have it set to "AF-on only" (BBF) that setting is ignored, but it can be reenabled one step deeper in the menu.

Back