D500 or D750

JohnBradbury

A jolly good egg!
Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I shoot mainly people, street portraiture and possibly studio stuff in the future but I like to try my hand at anything. Returning to the fold after an extended break and want some advice on which camera to buy.

I'd also like to dabble with video at some point.

Last edited:
Hi

What lens do you have?

For people photography I would suggest the d750, sports , birds and wildlife would d500.

No lenses, starting from scratch. Although I've had quite the collection in the past.

For what you shoot I see no point in getting the D500, it's a sports/wildlife camera and it's DX ... IMO an FX with the low-light and dynamic range ability of the D750 would much better suit your style. :)

For everything you said you want to shoot the D750 will be the better option.

I would advise the D750 too. If you decide that you want to get extra reach in the future taking advantage of the crop factor you can always buy a cheap DX which will take the full frame lenses. DX lenses will not work on full frame.
I have the D750 and after a year or so bought a new D3200 for £250 which works a treat for any long distance shooting I do and has the advantage of being very small and light if I want a travel camera.

You could dabble with mirrorless, maybe an XT-10 or X-T1 - not as intimidating for street as a conventional DSLR.

I have previously owned the D750 and had some trouble with the size, and button layout. I went into my local camera store and had a play this evening, walked out with the D500. Back to DX for me.

D500 will do a great job, they are both cracking bits of kit with great custom controls which are well worth setting to suit your style

I just need to sort out my lens selection now. The usual pull towards primes (sigma art 24, 50, 85) or the flexibility of zooms (nikon 24-70, 70-200). A choice I always struggle with.

I need to contribute more to bring back my for sale access to, so I can see what lenses are up.

Back