D500 + oversaturated greens

Scots_quine

In memoriam
Name
Joan
Edit My Images
Yes
I do quite a lot of photography where grass is a large component of the picture. I find with the D500, the greens always look over saturated on a projector (calibrated) whereas all the other colours look fine. On my monitor (also calibrated), they may look slightly brighter than 'normal' but not as bright as they do when projected. All other colours both on monitor and projector look fine. All 'picture controls' in the camera are as factory default (but I think I am correct in saying these only affect the jpg not the RAW file). I shoot raw and jpg, edit only the raw file. Use only Photoshop Elements for editing.

Can anyone throw any light on my problem? Example below - this does not look too bad on my monitor but when it was projected tonight, the green was well out. Is there any way I can dial down the green channel without affecting any of the other colours?

Attachments

• N5B_2419-small.jpg
    N5B_2419-small.jpg
    476.8 KB · Views: 63
The Nikon greens are the reason I left Nikon and went for another brand.

Insipid is the term.

They fixed the colours in the D850 I'm led to believe.

Just turn them down in Lightroom to your taste.

Try using Nikon's Capture NX-D to edit the raw file initially, you can always save as TIFF and import to PSE if you need to. The raw file has no "colour" it is calculated by the computer software and the Nikon program may give better results. Nice shot by the way.

Last edited:
How do you process your Raw file? For Canon cameras, if you use the Canon DPP software it uses the profile you set in camera by default though you can change it at that point. Nikon may be different. However, if you process using LR as I do then you can choose the profile. By default it uses and Adobe standard profile for your camera which may not be ideal. I have a bespoke calibrated profile which I created using X-Rite's colour checker. This results in much more accurate colours. If you do not want to go that far the oversaturated green is a common problem; I assume that the manufacturers think we like that. It is simple to adjust in LR or PS. As someone already suggested, you need to desaturate the yellow a little. Are you also confident that the projection system is calibrated.

Dave

Whatever picture control you use there is the option to go in and change the settings. So many people think they have to accept what the manufacturer sets the picture controls at.

I thought the PIcture Control only affected the jpgs - they didn't affect the RAW files so changing the Pic C would have no effect on the RAW file (I always edit in RAW)? I knew about the Picture Control setting but had discounted it for that reason.

Nikon greens have always been, IMO, awful. I just turn them down in either saturation or luminance in Lightroom.

I missed the fact you were using raw. It would be adjustable in PS

Back