D500 To buy or not to buy

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone bought a D500 as a "upgrade" from a D7200? Could do with a natter about it. I use the word "upgrade" loosely.

I bought mine as an upgrade from a D7100. The D7100 IQ wasn't a problem and like my K-3 it was excellent at 99% of stuff. Whereas the Pentax AF was shaky the lack of buffer on the D7#00 was unforgiveable.

If you do anything other than Birds whether metal or feathered the D500 doesn't make financial sense. But when you are at an air display or tracking birds,- the 200 shot buffer of the D500 plus the better AF algorithm makes it an easy choice, but it does show lens limitations more so (how I know my 80-400 was faulty).

Prior to getting a pair of D500's, I was shooting on a D7100/7200 combo. As Peter states above the AF (both acquisition and tracking) and buffer improvements are significant for dynamic work.

Other features I class as "nice to have" include the FN2 rear button that I set for My Menu access, Group AF and the ability to activate by pushing the Joy Stick (keeping single point BBAF on the AF Button) plus the relocated ISO button that makes ISO changing much easier without taking your eye away from the viewfinder.

Don't forget for some fast cards to make the most of it though.

GC

90% of the shots I take are at running events. The D7200 copes well I use either the 50mm or 85mm prime lens. Had this set up for around 3 years. Don't want to buy the D500 if it JUST means MORE images to wade through after an event.

90% of the shots I take are at running events. The D7200 copes well I use either the 50mm or 85mm prime lens. Had this set up for around 3 years. Don't want to buy the D500 if it JUST means MORE images to wade through after an event.

If the D7200 works well for what you do then keep it. I only changed as I wanted faster focus and FPS for BIF etc.
the D500 would give you lots more pictures with ease nearly twice as much in high speed.

Why not keep your existing setup for a backup system and use the D500 as your main camera ?

Would also be useful when you want different lenses readily available on both bodies.

Cheers,
Dougie.

I'd say no. I hadn't had a Nikon since a d7000 but I came to the d500 from a e-m1. The d500 was a leap from both of them. But I know the d7200 is a great camera so I'd save your pennies

Are you missing any shots because of focus issues, feel the frames per second is not enough or hitting the buffer at all in high speed bursts? :thinking:
{Probably the focus issue. I know that buying one won't make my images a £1000 better, I've held off for a year and am still not convinced. D7200 is pretty good buffer wise with the Exreme Pro cards I have. I suppose that I want the focussing to be even better and image quality to move up a notch. Would a better piece of glass do that? Low light can also be a problem with races in winter and the high shutter speeds needed. Thanks for your input.

{Probably the focus issue.} ...... {I suppose that I want the focussing to be even better and image quality to move up a notch}

The D500 focuses better than any other Nikon camera I have used, it is so positive and precise (when used properly!).
Will an in focus image take your image quality up a notch?
Better glass can improve image quality but if focus is out it's irrelevant ... D500 with good (as different to extreme) glass is a winner.

Lenses with wider apertures may help the camera you have focus better, because it is getting more light onto the AF system, and also hopefully have better image quality with the higher quality lens. It would also allow for slightly faster shutter speeds (depending on what lenses you have, and what lenses you were thinking of) in low light because of the wider aperture. The D500 AF is possibly the best AF system on a DSLR atm, that said, the 51 point AF was Nikon's state of the art for many years until the D5 and D500 were released, and many people have been able to achieve focus consistently.

Would it be possible to borrow/rent a D500 to see if would make a big difference to your situation? If it gives you an answer one way or the other it could be money well spent if you had to, or were able to, rent. As Gramps said, "Better glass can improve image quality but if focus is out it's irrelevant".

My experience.
I had a D7200 for a brief time. I then switched to a D500 shortly after it was launched.
The 2 major positives for me are the accuracy of the AF and the sensor.
I much prefer the D500 sensor, it still produces noise in low light but I prefer this noise to the 7200 noise.
Also, the SOOC jpegs are improved IMO.

Would it be possible to borrow/rent a D500 to see if would make a big difference to your situation? If it gives you an answer one way or the other it could be money well spent if you had to, or were able to, rent. As Gramps said, "Better glass can improve image quality but if focus is out it's irrelevant".

Might do that. Had thought of buying, see how I get on and if I don't think it's not for me … offer it for sale on here at price I paid less rental amount.

Back