D5100 or D3100 deal

Name
Stuey
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

I've been saving for a D5100, you're looking at around the 400 quid mark with the kit lens. I've just seen currys selling the D3100 with the same kit lens plus a nikkor 55-200 lens for £420! Question is do I take a drop down in camera for that extra lens or stick with the D5100 and buy a tele lens in the future? Money is a big factor in this, I currently shoot an Olympus so will essentially be starting fresh with Nikkon.

Cheers

Both are excellent cameras. Whichever you buy I'm sure you will be happy with, as a d3100 owner. The question on the lenses depends on what you shoot. If you use the zoom range of your previous camera for the likes of wildlife, then it makes sense to go for the d3100 deal with the zoom lens. Otherwise go for the d5100. Try them both out in store. Both cameras are fantastic deals.

I would check that that deal includes the newer ''VR'' lenses, if they are not the ''VR'' it's not such a good deal tbh as on the 55-200mm the VR will undoubtedly be the better choice to get which is a lens that is just shy of £100 new any way. a kit that includes the 18-55mm ''VR'' and then a seperate purchase of the 55-200mm VR would be the way I would go.

From having a quick look myself it seems to be the version without ''VR on the 55-200mm, I would pass on that.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for your replies. Now you mention it I'm not sure if the 55-200 was a VR lens, I'll have to go back and check, if it is I reckon that will be the decider, if not I'll get the D5100 and be patient for the VR lens. After that it will be a question of getting the 35mm f1.8 or the 50mm!

Thanks again

Quick update - purchased the D5100 this morning, absolutely love it (y)

Thanks again for all of your replies.

Back