D5100 stick or Upgrade to D7100

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
Bit of i dilemma, if you had £250 burning a hole in your pocket and fancied spending a few quid on equipment, how would you spend it?
I currently own a D5100, 17-50 tamron, 35mm f1.8 and the 55-300mm nikon, plus a cheap jessops flash.
Ive even considered flogging the lot and starting again.
My main photography subject is my family and trips out, i have a 3 year old daughter who i photograph the most, also young nieces and nephews. Quite a few photos i take are indoors, would i see a good increase in iso performance with the D7100 over my D5100?

I feel the D5100 is lacking some manual controls, i.e extra scroll wheel for aperture also I have big hands and found the d5100 a little small so got a grip and now feels too large, I know-no pleasing some folk!
from what ive read the D7000 would only be an upgrade in handling but the D7100 would be a full upgrade for image quality as well as handling.
even considered selling the lot and buying a Sony A7 and kit lens, but looking a the cost of lenses, i would only be able to afford legacy glass, I cant be spending £500+ on glass

Any opinions/ thoughts are welcome.
Thanks
Jon

Last edited:
I'd look at second hand 85mm, for portraits that will give you the biggest step forward for IQ over what you have now, especially if you are shooting indoors. Ergonomics wise, I have shot with both the D7000 and D5100, the 7000 is a big step forward and I found it much nicer to use, but the right way to go really depends on what type of shots you take.

The 85 f1.8 has been on my radar. I did consider the tamron 90mm being a macro lens it could be more versatile and double up for portraits.

Without pixel-peeping, you will struggle to notice any increase in image quality upgrading from the D5100 to the D7100. But the ergonomics are better.

If you were printing regularly and wanted to make big prints, that might be another reason to consider the D7100 as it's going to increase your maximum print size a bit.

If you're interested in IQ or increasing your creative latitude get the lens. If it's handling or limits on print size that are your biggest concerns, get the D7100.

Last edited:
Personally find that sort of FL too long for portraits on a crop sensor - 50mm F1.8 would be my preference for head/shoulder shots

Would a 50 1.8 really add much to my set up? considering i own a 17-50 2.8 tamron.

Interesting to hear i wouldnt see a big difference at 1:1 between a D5100 and D7100. Maybe not worth the 300 odd quid to upgrade then.

As others have said it would really just make using the camera easier with the extra controls

Would a 50 1.8 really add much to my set up? considering i own a 17-50 2.8 tamron.

Not "a lot" - but pretty cheap and does give better bokeh - was really only saying that I don't find 85/90mm anything like useful for portraits :)

Not large for print, but i do pixel peep in lightroom! Starting to talk myself out of the d7100!

Not large for print, but i do pixel peep in lightroom! Starting to talk myself out of the d7100!
Talking yourself out of it sounds sensible. Why spend £300+ to get improvements in detail that will only ever be seen by you peering at your monitor in a dark room, viewing a square inch of bark from a photo of a forest.

At the end of the day, buy what you think will bring you the most pleasure, if that is a body upgrade then do it :)
With all due respect, that's terrible advice.
We've all heard from people who've upgraded their camera bodies and then been disappointed; it's quite a common experience and for very simple reasons - most modern dSLR bodies are pretty much interchangeable for the uses that MOST people put them to. If you're photographing common sorts of scenes and sharing images mainly online then the difference in perceivable IQ between a good entry level dSLR and top of the range professional kit is largely negligible (bodies, not lenses). Advantages of more expensive bodies only start to emerge when you're dealing with relatively niche interests and practices.
The OP has asked for advice, suggesting that they want to hear pros and cons. If they knew what was going to make them happy they wouldn't have asked.

Last edited:
heres a review of both - http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-D5100-vs-Nikon-D7100

As you also require lens's, £250 isn't going to give you much of an upgrade....

If it were me - I'd ask how many pictures did you take last year...
& then factor in how long would you be keeping it - Only you can justify it.

I had the D7000 & find the D7100 much better all over.

With all due respect, that's terrible advice.
We've all heard from people who've upgraded their camera bodies and then been disappointed; it's quite a common experience and for very simple reasons - most modern dSLR bodies are pretty much interchangeable for the uses that MOST people put them to. If you're photographing common sorts of scenes and sharing images mainly online then the difference in perceivable IQ between a good entry level dSLR and top of the range professional kit is largely negligible (bodies, not lenses). Advantages of more expensive bodies only start to emerge when you're dealing with relatively niche interests and practices.
The OP has asked for advice, suggesting that they want to hear pros and cons. If they knew what was going to make them happy they wouldn't have asked.

with all due respect, lighten up, photography for most is a hobby and hobbies are about pleasure. If you read the entire thread you'll see that I'd given advice regarding lenses and bodies earlier on, so the lecture really wasn't necessary. There are also plenty of people out there who have bought items because someone on a forum said they should, rather than buying what they really wanted (not needed) and were disappointed for different reasons.

Last edited:
I had thought about getting some lighting, better flash etc. Are softboxes that fir on the flash whilst on the camera any good, i understand off camera flash is best.

Unsure why i would need extra lenses if i decided to buy a D7100, still a dx body so my current lenses should be fine.
Had the camera 2 years and I've taken 7000 shots, so 3.5k a year.

Last edited:
I had thought about getting some lighting, better flash etc. Are softboxes that fir on the flash whilst on the camera any good, i understand off camera flash is best.

Unsure why i would need extra lenses if i decided to buy a D7100, still a dx body so my current lenses should be fine.
Had the camera 2 years and I've taken 7000 shots, so 3.5k a year.

better glass = better IQ basically, and in term of improvement it will get you more bang for your buck than changing bodies, but if you don't particularly like shooting with the 5100 because of the controls it doesn't matter what glass you put on it.

Last edited:

The idea behind a softbox is to increase the area emitting light to create softer light/less shadows, so the bigger the softbox (or the closer it is to the subject) the better. So if you want your flash on the camera that will limit the size of the softbox quite a bit, but will still make a significant improvement.

If you can get your flash of the camera, that will indeed create more options, both in the sense of positioning of the light and the size of the modifier you can use (softbox, umbrella, etc). You will then need a way to trigger the flash or flashes. This could be a long lead, or a radio trigger, but since you have a Nikon it is worth reading up on Nikon's CLS system (which will need a compatible flash).

but if you don't particularly like shooting with the 5100 because of the controls it doesn't matter what glass you put on it.

Absolutely - A new D7100 is going to cost approx £530-ish min so is a fair amount above your £250 limit - lol.

But,

if it gives you the incentive to take more pics then buy it.

My wife had a D3200 camera, took 3000ish shots in a year, I bought the D7100 & she has already taken 8000 shots in 6 months (lots of Airshows) - lol.

Absolutely - A new D7100 is going to cost approx £530-ish min so is a fair amount above your £250 limit - lol.

But,

if it gives you the incentive to take more pics then buy it.

My wife had a D3200 camera, took 3000ish shots in a year, I bought the D7100 & she has already taken 8000 shots in 6 months (lots of Airshows) - lol.
I would be selling my d5100 (as per my original post) and buying a secondhand d7100 so i doubt i would be that far out moneywise...maybe £50 or so. Dont worry, ive done the maths!

Not much help probably but I went from a d5100 to the d7100 and I could see the difference in my images straight away .and the d7100 just felt better in the hand .Im glad I upgraded to the d7100 .

I don't think the d5100 is cls compatible.

If it were me, I think a lighting set up would give you best bang for buck in terms of better images.

As your pics are indoors I'd get a studio head kit. Many are available but I use the lencarta lights and their kits are great value.

The d5100 is more than able to produce great shots.

Just my 2p

Shaheed

My initial thought on reading the original post was to upgrade the body, reason being ergonomics which is probably the best reason to upgrade the body. Plus, your lenses are already good enough.

That gives you the choice, if you are happy with the image quality from the D5100 then you could go for the D7000 as that has the same sensor. Or, if you fancy something with better AF and weather sealing and marginally better IQ then go for the D7100.

Not sure the cost to change would be only £50 though...

edit: just had a look, 2nd hand D5100s go for less than £200, 2nd hand D7000s are £300-350 and the D7100 more like £450.

Last edited:
My initial thought on reading the original post was to upgrade the body, reason being ergonomics which is probably the best reason to upgrade the body. Plus, your lenses are already good enough.

That gives you the choice, if you are happy with the image quality from the D5100 then you could go for the D7000 as that has the same sensor. Or, if you fancy something with better AF and weather sealing and marginally better IQ then go for the D7100.

Not sure the cost to change would be only £50 though...

edit: just had a look, 2nd hand D5100s go for less than £200, 2nd hand D7000s are £300-350 and the D7100 more like £450.
The 7000 has weather sealing. Don't think he meant the cost to change would be £50. They're budget was to spend an extra £250, but possibly an extra £50 taking it up to £300

Reading your original post the D5100 is not ergonomically fit for you. You have also tried to add a grip which also doesn't work and as metntioned above you will not use the camera so much if its a pain to use. I have large hands and hand disabilities and when I was buying my D7000 a few years ago I compared against the D5100, D3100 and for me the D5100 just didnt feel right in the hand and the D3100 felt better after the D7000., I went for the D7000 for the better controls.

Change the camera to one which fits your hand and is comfortable to use, then start looking at other lenses, lighting set-ups etc............... Buying these will not change the fact that the D5100 is not comfortable to use.

If you need to change systems to Canon, Sony etc... there is nothing wrong with doing this. Go to a good camera shop and have a good play with different cameras and purchase one which is the best suitable for you ergornomically and even consider hiring one for the weekend to make sure.

Ignore the above if you just have GAS.

Also, if it is IQ you are after and the camera fits, you would expect the Sony A7 to be the best way forward as it's Full Frame. As this camera is mirrorless and has focus peaking, you can use some of the many legacy lenses available via a £10 lens adapter. I did this with my Fuji XT1, as Fuji make no lenses longer than 230mm at present.

Worth noting, these mirrorless cameras aren't as quick as DSLR's for AF, although they aren't far off.

Thanks everyone, all food for thought. Like the lighting idea but we dont have room for studio lights it would have to be speedlights, looking at yongnuos 565 seem good valve for money.
I would like a d7000 or d7100 but think the 200-300 spend wouldnt give me much bang for bucks, image wise. Where is the best place for value for money softboxes?

I got a Flashbender clone from aliexpress, which I am quite happy with (only just got it, so haven't used it much beyond a few trial shots). This comes from China, but got here quite quickly and seems decent quality. I also ordered a smallish softbox there, but that hasn't arrived yet.

Back