d5100 upgrade help

Name
kevin
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok ...thinking of upgrading my nikon d5100 not looking to go mad just looking for the next step up tbh

What would be a good upgrade to look at and why would you suggest it ...

The only thing that I will miss is the flip round screen as it helps alot with self takes but not essential

Thanks in advance kev

Lots of choices for an upgrade for you. But next step up in what aspect? What are you favourite subjects?

Budget around £500 max ...and favourite subjects scenery...wild life that's sort if stuff

Why do you want to upgrade? What do you want to do, that your D5100 can't do? Or can't do as well as you want it to?

What's lens have you got? D5100 is not a bad performer - as always, check your lens kit; could perhaps upgrade a few things there that would pay of far more than a new body - the D5100 (had one for a time before switching) is a nice ride.

What's lens have you got? D5100 is not a bad performer - as always, check your lens kit; could perhaps upgrade a few things there that would pay of far more than a new body - the D5100 (had one for a time before switching) is a nice ride.
I agree. I got excellent results from my D5100. The only thing that I didn't like was the viewfinder. That £500 isn't going to get you much more than you have already, possibly a used D7100, but I'd say get better glass.

Of all, I'd say maybe the 18-55 could do with an upgrade. Possibly the 16-85? The 55-300 is very good, as is the 35mm - indeed i want a 55-300 haha!

Ok guys thanks for the advice ....I have sen sense lol will stick with this and maybe upgrade the 18-55 ....and alot more practice

I'm going to go against the grain a little and say that something like a used d7100 could be a step up, depending on usage.

Ok so in terms of the final image you'll see little difference, but in terms of user experience I find the D7xxx series much nicer than the D5xxx series. I prefer having the extra dials and controls meaning I can switch settings much easier and quicker. Then there's the brighter viewfinder which is nicer to use and the more sophisticated AF system giving more options.

A big part of photography for me is enjoying using the equipment and for this reason alone I think it can be worth upgrading. Obviously YMMV.

As for lenses either the Tamron or Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 would be a nice upgrade over the 18-55 IMO.

I have kit lens 18-55 a 35mm 1.8 and a 55-300

I dont have a large 'hobby' budget so upgrade in small steps - prob not cost effective but hey-ho

sold the D5000 and bought a D300 - prob not a valid move either but I've always wanted one - love it

anyway - replaced the kit 18-55 with a Nikon AF-S 18-70
I do find I need to use a 67-72 step-up to use my 72mm Marumi PL-C to stop the vignetting at 18mm

in your shoes - I'd defo consider the 16-85.....(y)

Last edited:
I'm going to go against the grain a little and say that something like a used d7100 could be a step up, depending on usage.

Ok so in terms of the final image you'll see little difference, but in terms of user experience I find the D7xxx series much nicer than the D5xxx series. I prefer having the extra dials and controls meaning I can switch settings much easier and quicker. Then there's the brighter viewfinder which is nicer to use and the more sophisticated AF system giving more options.

A big part of photography for me is enjoying using the equipment and for this reason alone I think it can be worth upgrading. Obviously YMMV.

As for lenses either the Tamron or Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 would be a nice upgrade over the 18-55 IMO.

+1. I went from a D3200, which has broadly the same layout as the D5100, to the D7100 and the ability to change settings on the fly is chalk and cheese, and matters for wildlife. I've briefly used a d5100 since and it's like having one hand tied behind your back. I couldn't go back to the one dial and no top display setup. But it all depends on the shooting style you have...or develop. More practice with the D5100 is definitely a good idea in the meantime.

+1 on the lenses as well, though it looks like it's one or the other...

Last edited:
Back