D5100 won't turn on.

Edit My Images
No
Hi desperately after some advice. Whilst out shooting the meteor showers last night my D5100 ,which was in live view mode went into standby mode after not touching it for a few mins ( nothing new there). It will not now turn back on. I changed the batteries around ,green light flashes when new battery is inserted but camera is totally unresponsive. Left batteries out over night and fully charged them,no difference . Camera is about 2 half years old and has been working fine till now . Absolutely gutted as I've got a weeks holiday in the caravan in Cornwall next weekend. Anybody offer any ideas . Cheers Age

... bit of a long shot (pun intended) ... when she went into sleep mode did you hear Live View disengage? Anyway have you tried fiddling with the LV lever?

Also, try removing the lens (sigma by any chance?) then switch her on.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Hi
I had a similar issue with a different body a while back, hold in the default buttons on power up (green dots)and put back to default setting mode, it might help..

Thanks for the replies , pretty sure I heard live view disengage. I can see through the view finder now so it must have. Nikon kit lens removing it makes no difference. If I insert a battery green light above delete button blinks one, if I put a memory card in it blinks again. So there is power to the camera, LV lever works physically but unresponsive electronically . No screen display or lighting up of metering (red) dots when looking through view finder. Reset buttons don't work as all buttons are unresponsive . The only thing that seems to work is the quick flash of the green LED when I insert a battery or card. Thanks again

Google " D5100 wont turn on".

There are a lot of items about this problem, main ones seem to relate to batteries and chargers

Are your batteries genuine Nikon? Have you installed any firmware updates?

Hi

I googled and found this ref about doing a hard reset to factory settings, though not 100% or stated I surmise that to need to hold the buttons indicated before you turn the power on........though perhaps try the combo first with power on?????

If you hold down the • MENU and • INFO buttons at the same time for a few seconds, you can quickly reset your D5100 to its basic settings

I hope you can sort it or else a trip to service centre required :(

Last edited:
Box tried that but have no power.
Harriers where is the hole ???
Cheers for the replies

Box tried that but have no power.
Harriers where is the hole ???
Cheers for the replies

A pity though no idea if it would have worked if appropriate did you try holding down those two reset buttons then turn the power switch on???

I think this was a failed attempt at humour rather than a practical contribution.

In my Googling I did find ref to another model where there is apparently a small paperclip sized hole in the baseplate but not the 5100 as @surfage has ;)

How about removing the memory card?

Well sent it off to Nikon £168 no explanation of what's wrong . Now I have a decision to make. Can't help feeling there's a con going on here

Well sent it off to Nikon £168 no explanation of what's wrong . Now I have a decision to make. Can't help feeling there's a con going on here
I would have hoped/expected to them to given a breakdown of what they were actually quoting for?

Back