D5200 - Lens

Edit My Images
No
Hi

At long last have decided to buy the D5200 (not the D7000 refurbed as it was too heavy).

I am planning on buying the body only and a Nikon 35mm f1.8 G AF-S DX Lens (£149) to take photos of the kids portrait style at home.

I have 2 questions, as I will also be using the camera to:
1) taking photos of places that we visit
2) take photos of the wee ones again at sports day/plays/general wrecking around (maybe Tamron 70-300 + get bundle with 18-55)

Which lens would you recommend for this?

As you can tell I am a beginner but want to get a good set of lens and camera that I can learn with,

Thanks!

It depends on what you want form the camera really.

The only lens you mention that will do the sensor in that camera any justice at all is the 35mm. The kit lens will be ok-ish and the Tamron 70-300 will be simply horrid (it's horrid on low resolution cameras so on the D5200 it will be unthinkable!).

This is the problem with these very high resolution sensors - all but the best lenses look naff when you zoom in.

If you're not worried about the quality of the lenses then I would argue that you shouldn't really be buying a D5200 - you may as well save yourself some cash and get a D5100, or even a D3100.

I would say that as a minimum for the telephoto you want a Nikon 70-300 VR (which should be around £200 second hand).

Last edited:
I recently purchased a D5200 with the 18-55mm kit lens and the Nikon 35mm f/1.8. I have just got back from a holiday in Madrid and I can't fault the quality of the pictures I took using this combo. The kit lens was used most and the pictures are sharp and contrasty when viewed on a 27'' iMac. I used the 35mm lens a bit less, mainly for the flowers in the botanical gardens and the colours are absolutely amazing. The best thing is that this body/lens combo is very light and easy to carry around which is a big factor for me - otherwise it would just get left at home. I honestly don't see a compelling reason to upgrade the kit lens!

I also found that the in-camera lens distortion control works very well (I just shoot jpegs) with the kit lens.

I also own the 70-300mm VR which although I haven't used it much with the D5200 is a very solid performer.

I would suggest the D5200 with kit lens, maybe the 35mm for indoor shooting and save up for the Nikon 70-300mm lens :)

Hi,

re the Tamron as I was advised this by 2 camera shops for being a great option for me.

Will have a look at the Nikon Lens...I have some savings which I can add into the lens pot.

Re the D5100/D3100, I chose it over these for his video capabilities. I also chose it over a refurbed D7000 as it was simply too heavy for me to carry around. I would have saved it for special occasions which for me defeated the object of getting a good camera.

Thanks for advice......

I have the D5100 and the Nikon/Nikor 18-55 the 55-200 the 55-300 the 35mm1.8 and I am picking up a sigma 10-20 on Friday. Obviously I can't yet comment on the Sigma but I have taken some very sharp pictures with all of the others.

(btw I've been using a cheap wide angle adapter for wide shots up until now but I'm not happy with the softness.)

In my opinion You will get most use out of the 18-55 if you are doing family/holiday/portrait shots. I would spend the money on a flash/brolly/stand/triggers before stumping up for the 35mm you will be more versatile and have lots and lots of scope for learning.

Click through to my flickr if you want to see some sample shots (scroll past the cows LOL that was an experiment), feel free to ask if theres anything you don't understand.

I have the D5100 and the Nikon/Nikor 18-55 the 55-200 the 55-300 the 35mm1.8 and I am picking up a sigma 10-20 on Friday. Obviously I can't yet comment on the Sigma but I have taken some very sharp pictures with all of the others.

I bought my Sigma 10-20 last year and it turned my landscapes into something fantastic,it's a heavy lens but it feels decent and well made and it go's e wry where with me for landscapes.

Back