D5300 to D7200

Name
Geoff
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all Newbie to the site here

Have been using a D5300 a while (Nikon lenses 1.8 35 prime, 18-140 , 55-300)
( also Sony rx100 111 , Olympus tough and Panasonic Tz 80 for travelling light)
Interested in all types of photography. Solely a hobbyist - Not quite a beginner but certainly not advanced.
I am thinking of buying a used 7200 body that I can use with existing lenses.
I shoot mainly raw and post process lightroom.
Main reason is I want to get more adapt at full manual mode and have the buttons to hand and I find the 5300 a little frustrating having to dig into menus. I see other advantages - dual card slots etc. I could see me moving between the two bodies depending on the nature of the shoot and whether I am lugging the equipment round or not.

I don't think I need to move to full frame which would mean selling lenses and starting again I think . D500 a bit pricey. Could possibly settle for a used D7100 I guess.

Your thoughts on this next considered move - or alternatives- appreciated!
Many thanks

I went from a d3100 to d7100 for similar reasons and having all the controls available to hand was a real benefit

Never used a d7200 but understand buffer and slightly better high iso performance are main improvements. If you dont do low light or something where the buffer would be limiting then a used d7100 might serve your needs

If however you want to do bif or fast sport with ch shooting then stay away from the d7100 which is very frustrating in those situations imo

I moved to a D7200 from a D3200 and never looked back, the D7200 is a great all rounder bu now have the itch for full frame after borrowing a D600

Went from a d3300 to d7200,great camera,then went d750 great camera.both were more than i needed,now back with a d3300 but i would go for it,or hire one for a few days,you might find its more than you need :D

D7200 is a brilliant little camera at a great price. :)

The 7500 are £800 on the gray market now.

I would get one even though people complain about only 1 card slot.

The buffer, metering system and improved fps make it way better for sport, wildlife, birds and other stuff.

I made the same move - 5300 to 7200 - i even have the 18-140 lens:)

Go for it - I certainly don't regret the change, and simple button access rather than digging through menus is a bonus.

Thanks all for the responses. My apologies as I guess this has been asked many time before but what route would you choose buying used.?
I have been watching d7200s on e bay. ( have bought some camera stuff with no major probs) I bought my 5300 from HDEW and it was fine ( except non U.K. Plug to a silly converter) . It seems that " new" on e bay from china based companies are often cheaper than used auction winning bids but I guess some doubts will remain with those direct grey imports. Appreciate you pays ya money takes ya chance but am interested in any other suggested sites/ options that you recommend I consider.
Thank again.

Best way to buy used is from a business seller on ebay or not because you are legally allowed to send it back within 14 day I think.

I went from D5100 to D7200. Got mine from MPB - a low click model in near mint condition. Very happy with the camera and the saving on new by buying second hand.

Back