d5500 on its way.

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
No
Just ordered the nikon d5500 as my fun camera to chuck in that bag when I don't want to take the d810 out and about with me.
Anyone else have this camera and if so how are you getting on with it?

all my lenses are fast fx, any suggestions on what to use with this for general use? Had been looking at the sigma 1.8 art lens.

Cheers

been looking at this too.please update when you get it and give your impressions please
thanks

If it's in your budget then you should absolutely positively get the art lens. Also spare a thought for the DX Nikon 35mm f/1.8 or 50mm f/1.8 both are far better than they have any right to be for the money. I've always thought of the 35mm as Nikon's version of crack being sold to newbies "come on, just this one prime, just take your kit lens of and try it, it's ever so cheap..."

If it's in your budget then you should absolutely positively get the art lens. Also spare a thought for the DX Nikon 35mm f/1.8 or 50mm f/1.8 both are far better than they have any right to be for the money. I've always thought of the 35mm as Nikon's version of crack being sold to newbies "come on, just this one prime, just take your kit lens of and try it, it's ever so cheap..."

Lol. Well I'm already suffering from lens addiction.
just a question on dx: is the aperture the true aperture? For example the 1.8 is it really 1.8 or would it be the equivalent to 2.8. Like the same way the focal length of an 18-105 I would need to factor in the crop sensor (1.5.) If that makes sense??

fx lens I have currently are 16-35 f4, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2. 8, 105 f2.8 and 150-600. I'm aware on the dx body the focal length will increase but will I also lose f stops on these and the siggy art lens?

Thanks

Well if you take a 50mm 1.8 lens, the aperture and the light its letting in will always be 1.8 on FX and DX but the DOF on DX won't be as shallow - you'll get dof roughly equivalent to 2.8.

Any further feedback @addicknchips on the D5500? I am thinking of getting this as a backup to the D750 and potentially using it as a B-Cam for any video work and for family stuff. What lenses did you end up using with the DX D5500?

Any further feedback @addicknchips on the D5500? I am thinking of getting this as a backup to the D750 and potentially using it as a B-Cam for any video work and for family stuff. What lenses did you end up using with the DX D5500?

It's a lovely little camera. It weighs literally nothing. Compared to my d810 it's like night and day.

Pros:
light weight.
great image quality.
Has wifi. (Very handy if you are out with family and friends and they want the photo you have taken there and then. Just send it straight to your phone and text it to them-providing no editing is needed).
Articulating? Screen. Better than the d750 imo.
Touch screen (surprising how intuitive it feels to just scroll through images this way. Assuming you have a touch screen smart phone this should feel "normal".

Cons:
Button layout. Not having a front comand dial takes some getting used to. I'm fumbling about about with mine- where my d810 layout feels natural.
Annoying shutter sound.
Lastly, I'm not sure on the high iso performance. I haven't seen howe much noise is genuinely in the image as I haven't yet transferred any photos to the cpu on my 4k screen.

All in all I think the pros outweigh the cons. If you can find a good lens that will feel balanced on the body (keeping it reasonably light weight) you're onto a winner.

I was seriously considering going mirrorless in order to get a light weight option but was worried I'd be wasting all the glass ive invested in. As soon as I picked this up I new it made sense to stay with with Nikon.
I can easily throw this in my work bag every day or bring it along to see the family without feeling like I'm going overkill as I might do with my d810.

All my fx lenses work perfectly well on this, but for light weight walk around I'm taking the 50mm and /or the tokina 11-16 mm dx 2 (both work on full frame too). Both are quality glass and keep it light weight and portable.

Let me know if there is anything specific I might be able to answer for you.

Cheers

Thanks @addicknchips for your feedback. Plenty of positives to take from it.

I have 24-70 and 50 1.4 FX lenses but like you on the lookout for something smaller and also considered going mirrorless in order to get a light weight option but investing in decent glass for dual systems may prove too costly. I came across the D5500 last night when looking for a decent family camera and something that can be used for static b-cam video footage that merges well with the D750.

I also feel the cameras like the D810/D750 can be overkill and out of place when going out with friends and family as you are expected to be in pro mode or something. I just want decent pictures of my toddler and family in a light set-up.

Take your 50mm to a camera shop and pop it on the d5500. You might be shocked at how light weight it is. Where are you based?

Back