D60 filter options

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
The only filters ive got for my D60 are the screw on ND type filters, but the problem is i have 3 lenses all of different sizes so i would have to buy 3 sets of filters to fit on each of my lenses, seems a stupid way of doing it.

Was wondering if there is any other way of using filters for the D60 otyher than the screw ones. Ive seen much more expensive cameras with a filter adapter that you just slide filters into, does anyone know if there is one available that will work with the D60 as i cant find one??

Thanks

Been looking at getting some myself and have decided on getting a Kood starter kit. The filter system you're after is P-type and when you've got the filter holder you just need to buy an adapter ring for each different lens size. It comes with 4 filters, the holder and 1 adapter of your choice, other adapters then cost £5.

cheapest i've seen the kit is £45 on www.premier-ink.co.uk

Hey Matt, personally I prefer screw on filters so what I (and most others) would do is buy a 77mm filter, then just buy some stepup rings for your lenses - can be had for £5 from the above link (premier ink) that way one filter fits all :)

the benefit of the cokin/kood p square filters is that they are very quick to change from lens to lens and works out cheaper than buying a bunch of step-up rings.

Also, you can use grad filters with a much higher degree of control than screw on ones as you can move the square p filters up and to match your composition whereas with the screw-ons you have to muck up about raising and lowering your camera potentially ruining your composition.

Yeah my issues was with grad filters, not got one yet but didnt want to buy a screw on type if they dont work too well.

think ill take a loook at the kood kits :)

some reports that the Kood filters cause a colour cast - magenta i think..?

anyway - basically - with different lens filter thread sizes - the best way is.................

an adapter ring to fit each of your lens thread sizes eg 52mm 58mm 72mm etc

then ONE holder "P" series usually - clips into the ring - it has slots for 3 filters
IF you have any UWA lens below 17mm you may get vignetting so there is a WA holder available but it only holds 1 filter

THEN you buy filters as required.........
a step up from Cokin are Hi-tec
the best are Lee ....both these COST MONEY --- maybe start with some cheapies off eBay till you decide whats best for you

to reduce exposure in sky you need 0.6 [2 stops] or 0.9 [3 stops]
landscapes need a soft grad so the transition is not definite
seascapes can use a hard grad on the horizon

square filters win over screw-in as they can be raised or lowered in the holder to suit the scene.............HTH...!!

You dont really buy a filter for the type of camera you have, you buy it for the size of lens you use with your camera.

The slide in filters work with all lenses. You screw on a plate to the front of your lens and then your ND filter goes infront of that with a plastic/metal frame supplied with the plate.
You need to find out what size filters your lenses take first.

some reports that the Kood filters cause a colour cast - magenta i think..?

anyway - basically - with different lens filter thread sizes - the best way is.................

an adapter ring to fit each of your lens thread sizes eg 52mm 58mm 72mm etc

then ONE holder "P" series usually - clips into the ring - it has slots for 3 filters
IF you have any UWA lens below 17mm you may get vignetting so there is a WA holder available but it only holds 1 filter

THEN you buy filters as required.........
a step up from Cokin are Hi-tec
the best are Lee ....both these COST MONEY --- maybe start with some cheapies off eBay till you decide whats best for you

to reduce exposure in sky you need 0.6 [2 stops] or 0.9 [3 stops]
landscapes need a soft grad so the transition is not definite
seascapes can use a hard grad on the horizon

square filters win over screw-in as they can be raised or lowered in the holder to suit the scene.............HTH...!!

Thanks john, definately seems the way to go as i have 3 lenses all with different thread sizes so the holders make perfect sense.

matt
here's the Cokin website..."link"

gives you an idea of what's available

yeah well dont spend yer £££ till you decide what u need

I got a 0.6[2stop] soft ND Grad off ebay £6 and when I'm happy it does the job, I'll buy a Quality one from Hi-Tech as i do mostly landscapes

[seascapes better with hard grad i read]

Hi-Tech sell a 3 filter pack for £30+ ...but also read here that the 0.3[1stop] is never used

Been looking at getting some myself and have decided on getting a Kood starter kit. The filter system you're after is P-type and when you've got the filter holder you just need to buy an adapter ring for each different lens size. It comes with 4 filters, the holder and 1 adapter of your choice, other adapters then cost £5.

cheapest i've seen the kit is £45 on www.premier-ink.co.uk

Ive got a 10-20mm sigma lens, will these holders cause vignetting??

Ive got a 10-20mm sigma lens, will these holders cause vignetting??

cannot see from their website...but

the holders come in standard 3-slots, or WA 1-slot

I got a 1-slot for my 17-70mm Sigma

strongly suspect you WILL need the 1-slot at 10mm

Back