D610 Dust

Name
Jamie
Edit My Images
No
Has anyone experienced a dust problem with the D610? I have one with about 1300 shutter count and dust has started appearing quite badly. I have looked online and seems a few others are mentioning this and that it is more apparent in the upper left corner which is the same with mine.

It's a fact of life with DSLR's I'm afraid even if you never change lenses.

Best advice I can give is that you should give it a blow out with a rocket blower and then shoot a white/grey target at small aperture and see if it's clean and if not do a wet clean and then repeat the test process. Wet cleans are easy enough and if you don't know how to go about it there are no doubt instructional vids on line.

It's something I've had to get used to since I got my first full frame. (610) Never had a problem with D60 or 90. I wouldn't say there anything sinister about the 610 in particular though.

I already tried the rocket blower, it didn't do anything. I will give it a wet clean, I'm even tempted to run a timelapse afterwards and fire off another 2k or so shots to see if it re-appears.

Can you tell me where the menu option is to lock the shutter up for cleaning, I can't seem to find it in this camera.

I already tried the rocket blower, it didn't do anything. I will give it a wet clean, I'm even tempted to run a timelapse afterwards and fire off another 2k or so shots to see if it re-appears.

Can you tell me where the menu option is to lock the shutter up for cleaning, I can't seem to find it in this camera.
How did you use the rocket blower without locking up the mirror??

The mirror lock up is on the menu with the spanner icon a few down from format memory card. I have the D600 and never had oil as in the problem cases but dust will appear on any camera sensor. A good sensor brush like the Visible Dust ones can remove dust particles that are not stuck to the sensor.

I used the rocket blower with the camera on bulb mode to try and remove some of the dust.

I know that camera's attract dust to the sensors but this D610 has attracted more dust in two weeks than I think I have ever accumulated on another single camera.

The D600 initially was getting dust from the new shutter curtain but that eased off on mine after a few thousand exposures. I still get the odd dust spot but nothing like when new. Make sure your body points down when changing lenses and try and be out of the wind. Still it can be very frustrating but if it continues I am sure Nikon will clean it for free on the warranty if you are not happy doing it yourself.

The D600 initially was getting dust from the new shutter curtain but that eased off on mine after a few thousand exposures. I still get the odd dust spot but nothing like when new. Make sure your body points down when changing lenses and try and be out of the wind. Still it can be very frustrating but if it continues I am sure Nikon will clean it for free on the warranty if you are not happy doing it yourself.
I'm quite happy cleaning sensors but to be honest I had never changed the lens of this camera it is so new. I had put a lens on when I got it and that was about all. I've had other camera with years of use and many lens changes but they have never built up as much debris on the sensor as this has.

If the D610 is getting that dusty as quick as you say I would be tempted to contact Nikon and ask their advice.

Back