D70 and "stuff"

Name
Victoria Harrison
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm in the market for a new dSLR. It will be my first... *proud mum-to-be* :)

Anyway... as a newbie to this and wanting to shoot people, architecture and vehicles, will this work?

I've been offered a D70 c/w AF-S Nikkor 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5G and AF Nikkor 50mm 1:1.8 D

The D70 has done about 8000 shots I believe and the whole kit is in great condition. Would this be a good place to start or would you recommend a different body (was thinking of "easing myself in" with a D40) or lens(es)?

Any advice very greatfully received before I spend my hard earned pennies. Taking of which, how much would that sort of "bundle" by worth these days?

Cheers!

That looks like a very good started bundle to me. I would be looking in the region of £300-£400 for that lot I recon.

Toughie

I think your gonna have to spill the beans on the cost of the d70, before we can weigh up the odds.

Toughie

I think your gonna have to spill the beans on the cost of the d70, before we can weigh up the odds.

haha, thought so...

The "bundle" I mentioned in the original post, which is all boxed, lens/body caps, etc and a case thrown in for just north of £300. Fair price or too much and will it do the job I want it to do? (for shooting people and buildings)

The 18-70mm DX is probably one of the best kit lenses around, certainly value for money. Super for walking around 'landscaping'. The 50mm will be ideal for portraits.... put together on a D70 you won't be disppointed - worth around £330-350.

I think thats a fair price, it will do everything you want it to do, but it isn't new like I assume a d40 would be.
Buying the d70 kit will give you some half decent glass to start with, the d40 will probably come with a kit lens which wont be as good as the 2 that come with d70, and the d40 only uses af-s lenses which are more expensive than af-d.
d70 can use either type.
You will have warranty with d40....but non with d70:shrug:

why is there never a simple a simple answer, are you sure you dont want a d3

I think thats a fair price, it will do everything you want it to do, but it isn't new like I assume a d40 would be.
Buying the d70 kit will give you some half decent glass to start with, the d40 will probably come with a kit lens which wont be as good as the 2 that come with d70, and the d40 only uses af-s lenses which are more expensive than af-d.
d70 can use either type.
You will have warranty with d40....but non with d70

Thanks for that. I had looked at the D40 with the 18-55 kit lens and thought I might "outgrow it" sooner than the D70 kit.

You're right about the "quality and usage" over "warranty" thing though. But I think I'll gamble on the 2nd hand kit.

Many thanks to you all for your input :)

Yeah - I have to second that!!

I have a D70s - absolutely fantastic bit of kit.

For that price - that little 'bundle' will do you proud.

(y)

Yeah - I have to second that!!

I have a D70s - absolutely fantastic bit of kit.

For that price - that little 'bundle' will do you proud.

(y)

Thirded. I have the D70s and am only thinking of upgrading it now (after three years) as I'm looking to do more and more pro stuff. The 50mm 1.8's a cracker and 18-70's a top kit lens (too good to be called a kit lens at all IMVHO)

I have about 7700 shots on my D50 and one wouldn't be able to tell, most likely.
Still serves me great, just like when I got it.
I have the 18-55 kit Nikkor lens and Sigma 70-300 mm APO DG macro and they work well. Still, a walk around lens like a 18-70, 18-135 or 18-200 VR would be very welcome, as I sometimes find myself without the possibility of swapping lens, be it windy weather (I wouldn't want to get dust into the camera, definitely not this way) or when I just need wide angle / telephoto shortly one after another, which isn't exactly rare.

I think going for he D70 is definitely a sound decision, unless you'd be unlucky and it would get broken. No reason to suspect that should happen, though.

I just did! £280 Paypal-ed to the man... :)

Boxed D70 with all accessories, the 2 lenses, 3 spare (Nikon) batteries, bag, CF card, tripod and delivery to Manchester!

Yay! :woot:

You guys convinced me... so if I don't like it, I'll come and find you! You have been warned...

;P

Congrats Vicki. As another D70s owner, I can honestly say you won't regret choosing it over the D40, and as has been said lots already, the 18-70 kit lens is a little stunner. I still use mine every time the cameras come out 2 years after first getting it. Mr LL wanted me to sell the D70s when I got the D200, and under his insistence I even got as far as starting to advertise it, but at the last minute, he gave in and let me keep it and its still used nearly as much as the D200, I just love my first Nikon! :love:

Now where's the photos? ;)

Give me chance, I've only just paid for it. It will take a few days to arrive and a (fair) few more for me to get the hang of it. (y)

Watch this space! :)

Congrats Vicki. As another D70s owner, I can honestly say you won't regret choosing it over the D40, and as has been said lots already, the 18-70 kit lens is a little stunner. I still use mine every time the cameras come out 2 years after first getting it. Mr LL wanted me to sell the D70s when I got the D200, and under his insistence I even got as far as starting to advertise it, but at the last minute, he gave in and let me keep it and its still used nearly as much as the D200, I just love my first Nikon! :love:

Even once I get my D300 I'll still be using the D70s a lot, partly as a second body alongside the D300 but also when I don't want to cart a big pro body arround.

The D70 is a great camera to build a system around as you're not limited to AF-S lenses as you would be with a D40/D40x.

Even once I get my D300 I'll still be using the D70s a lot, partly as a second body alongside the D300 but also when I don't want to cart a big pro body arround.

(y) Indeed, as a diddy wussy person, the D200 is lovely, but very heavy in comparison to the 70, but it must have built my muscles up a little bit, as I can now handhold the 70 down to 1/30 with the kit lens on it, which i certainly couldn't have done a year ago :LOL:

Which reminds me, the D70s has just celebrated its 2nd birthday, has some 8000 actuations and is a good now as it was when I proudly walked into jessops, with Mr LL, in St Albans and bought it together with a memory card - Jessops own brand, 1GB and paid the extortionate price of £90!! :eek: :eek: When I think I have just bought a 2GB Sandisk for £14, I could cry at the naivety of it. I was an internet geek then, why the hell didnt I shop around? I know the price of memory has tumbled since then, but even so.... :LOL:

*talking of memory*

I need to buy another CF card. What sort of speed should I be looking at, I'm going to want to shoot in RAW.

Will the Sandisk Extreme III be good/fast enough for now?
Or what would you recommend as an "everyday" card?

Thanks in advance. :)

Will the Sandisk Extreme III be good/fast enough for now?
Or what would you recommend as an "everyday" card?

Abolutely. In fact, the D70s won't be able to make the most of anything faster. I use Sandisk Extreme III but the tip is to match your card reader to your cards. I use an Extreme III reader too.

Cheers for all the advice. Taken on board and looking forward to etting to grips withall this stuff.

Many thanks!

Hi

I owned a D70 before I went for the D200 and in some respects I preferred the D70. Providing it is in good nick I would have no hesitation in going for the D70. A first class camera.

Back