D700 & D300 8fps without grip

Spooky this is. I've just posted this on the D300 owners thread If it's settings for the D300 your after,then read on. A friend of mine spotted this on you-tube and typed it out for convenience. Link to you-tube is at the end

Action shooting settings for Nikon D3 – D700 _ D300
1. The Shooting Menu:- The RAW setting must be set for uncompressed quality, so, the Raw quality remains the same to allow larger amount of control to adjust the Raw files in post-processing. With this feature set the colour rendering and sharpness can be lost.
2. Active D-Lighting must be turned off to allow you to continue the high speed sequences up to 50 RAW without stopping. This feature slows down the data transfer to the card and can be done in post processing. Active D-Lighting shortens the buffer.
3. High ISO NR (noise reduction) must be turned off because it automatically reduces the amount of noise be adding a Gaussian blur effect – it is similar to D-Lighting it requires more time to process the files.
4. Long Exposure Delay – must be turned off because it will not give you the full frame rate speed that you wish to use. For example, you would like to use 9 frames per second but with Long Exp. Delay turned on it will drop to 3 – 4 frames per second.
5. Custom Setting Menu 1 – The AFC Priority must be set for Focus- that way, the camera will refuse to capture unless the subject is in focus. This feature only takes action when you switch the AF drive to AF-Continuous.
6. Custom Setting Menu 2 – Dynamic AF Area, of course, depends on your preferences, but for better tracking set for the 51-points (3D-Tracking). With the 51 Point set, the camera will widen the ability to focus anywhere within the focusing area. The 3D-Tracking is the newest technology to help the camera by improving its focusing ability. The 3D – Tracking allows your camera to chase the moving subject within the focus area and the AF point will automatically move to stay with the moving subject. With this feature turned on – the camera will focus continuous while moving around to chase the subject.
7. The focusing Tracking with Lock-On - is one of the largest problems that people are ignoring. It must be turned off to allow the camera focus continuously without delay. If you set for short/norm/long that is the time delay between refocuses. The action moves fast and having /this feature turned off will keep the camera focus continuously and fast without delay.
8. Multi-Selector button - can depend on your preferences – it is the best to set it for Shooting Mode> Reset. It allows you to reset the focusing point faster without turning on the info button to see where your current focus point is located, It resets by putting the AF area back into the center of the view finder to prepare for the next chase.
9. The Function button + dial can depend on your preferences – it is the best to set it for Select Image Area (FX/DX/5;4) but you can set it for Select Image Area (FX/DX) without the 5;4 crop mode. It save tie without going through the menus to switch from one IA to another.
10. White Balance – The white balance depends on the lighting controls you are working under, Tungsten, Fluorescent etc. In some areas in rare situations such as basketball gyms have mixed lighting conditions T & F – the trick is to switch into Calvin Temperature (K) and set for the colour temp that is right between the T & F temperatures. This can be adjusted in post processing.
11. The Shutter Speed can depend on how fast the action moves. 1/500 of a second is right, but you will need to set your aperture & ISO to deliver shutter speed of 1/500 +
12. Aperture – Of course 2.8 is not always ideal for sports etc. F4 on a pro lens, f8 for most lenses. It is important to do the maths for manual exp mode by changing the apertures to F4 or F8 until you get 1/500 speed, after changing the ISO sensitivity.

On body adjustments.

1 Front of body shooting selector CSM to C
1 Set Auto area af to top setting (white square in brackets)
1 3D Matrix Metering to – center setting
2 Change from single shot to either CL or CH on top dial
3 Change to magnifying eye piece if you have one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG5UKwgGRJI

Or just buy a bloody grip................:D

If this is the bracketing trick, then it's nice to hear it working at 8fps but pretty pointless imo - when shooting 8fps you can only have manual and no AF (if i recall but could be wrong).

Having to buy a MB-D10, a couple of EN-EL4a batteries and a charger to get 8fps does seriously add up, but I can get 7fps on my D300s ungripped without messing around :p

Having to buy a MB-D10, a couple of EN-EL4a batteries and a charger to get 8fps does seriously add up, but I can get 7fps on my D300s ungripped without messing around :p

AA's will work, and work well! If you have some already for speedlights, you're laughing! Although a little bit heavier..!

AA's will work, and work well! If you have some already for speedlights, you're laughing! Although a little bit heavier..!

True, but still requires the MB-D10, and ups your chances of problems (read many niggles with dodgy contacts, inaccurate battery readings, low number of shots on a single charge etc). Also, on the D300s AA batteries nets you 7.7fps and not 8fps, I assume this is the same on the D300? Not that it matters...

Easier said than done. I ordered mine on boxing day and still don't have one that works!

Yeah, I remember reading that, feel for you Darren.

Very unusual though,the supplier is generally OK.......:shrug:

Yeah, I remember reading that, feel for you Darren.

Very unusual though,the supplier is generally OK.......:shrug:

On Tuesday I file a paypal dispute and leave negative feedback !!

I am seriously unhappy with them. Why would I send back a grip the week I got it for a replacement if it wasn't faulty. Also if I prove it is on route to them then why do they need to wait for the grip to arrive!!!

:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

True, but still requires the MB-D10, and ups your chances of problems (read many niggles with dodgy contacts, inaccurate battery readings, low number of shots on a single charge etc). Also, on the D300s AA batteries nets you 7.7fps and not 8fps, I assume this is the same on the D300? Not that it matters...

I've got the s, and you're right, it is 7.7 (altho I'm sure anyone would be hard pressed to tell the difference between 7.7 and 8....and between 7 and 8 for that matter!)

Not had a problem with contacts or low shots (but then again it doesn't count them when using AA's) but I've been using pretty old batteries so it's not been too amazing.

Don`t know Darren.

That is a risk of buying from abroad.

Can`t add anything other really,sorry.

This is just the bracketing trick, and you can only shoot off 9 frames, so it only lasts for just over a second. :thumbsdown:

Buy Meike grip from Link Delight on eBay for £50 then. Get 8 rechargeable AAs and a charger for probably around £20. Done. ;)

Incidently I think its the Meike grip cowasaki has had problems with. This is the first case I have read about, I think he was just unlucky. Everyone seems to be pretty happy with theirs, I am. :)

Got one, and yeah, it's good advice if it's only for occasional use :)

I use the Nikon MB-D10 99.95% of the time because of the weight of the lenses I use. Both the 24-70 and 70-200 are far to heavy to get to grips with for more than a few shots without it. The good news is the 50mm is ok to use without the grip :naughty:

Slightly off topic, how do you find that Katzeye? (do not answer with "by looking in to the view finder") :nuts:

Got one, and yeah, it's good advice if it's only for occasional use :)

Now I've got used to mine I'll probably leave it attached most the time. Camera is significantly heavier with it attached and 8 AAs in there though! :puke: :LOL:

Obviously its not magnesium alloy, the dials aren't rubbery and the buttons aren't dampened like the MB-D10, but its well built and at nearly quarter the price you can't go wrong. (y)

Back