D700 or d7100

Edit My Images
Yes
OK I'm happy with my m4/3 kit but still want a dslr for the grandkids (quick little sods they are)
I have a d7100 and 17-55mm 2.8 but really fancy a d700 I have a24-85mm vr knocking around so just need a body.

Question what is everyone's opinion would the ff give me anything different from the dx.

Having used both I would recommend the D700..... an awful lot of accomplished function in one body

Better depth of Field Bokeh and of course Light gathering abilities, The faster your lens the better the Depth of Field. Samyang do some cracking Lens not bank busting and very fast, i use the 50mm F1.4

No competition - just sold my D7000 and bought a D700. Even with a cheap and cheerful Nikon 28-80mm (£40), the rendering is fantastic. As is the handling.
Just buy(-:

I have both the D750, and the D700.
I previously had the D7000.
The D700 is still my favourite camera out of all of them.
I think I prefer the rendering when used for portraits over the D750.
Added bonus is that they are cheap nowadays too !!

I'm still in my learning infancy but I have a d700 and agree with those above

Have found a mint D700 and am wondering about which CF cards to use. I believe they take mk1 cards, are they still available ?
Where from, have only seen mk2 ones. Any info and help gratefully received. Cheers C

Have found a mint D700 and am wondering about which CF cards to use. I believe they take mk1 cards, are they still available ?
Where from, have only seen mk2 ones. Any info and help gratefully received. Cheers C
I believe they take both I'm looking for a decent body now after all the positive feedback.

New cards are fine in mine

Just make sure the firmware is up to date and you'll be fine with new cards.

Seen a few good ones on there
I've looked at a few but all on 90k upto 160k on the shutter making £500 plus, i was very tempted by a d3 but at £800 a bit rich for my liking but only around 50k a friend has 1 with over 500 on it amazing piece of engineering.

I've looked at a few but all on 90k upto 160k on the shutter making £500 plus, i was very tempted by a d3 but at £800 a bit rich for my liking but only around 50k a friend has 1 with over 500 on it amazing piece of engineering.
I noticed the 700 can still fetch a good price.

I noticed the 700 can still fetch a good price.
LCE Newcastle had a D700 with OEM grip, 7k shutter count and marked with 5 stars at £599:99, which I thought was an excellent price ... gone now unsurprisingly. :)

I've got a d600 with 25k and a d700 with 142k and you can tell the difference in quality! The d700 is better

Just gone from D300 to D700 and the difference is huge.
Only have my 50 f1.8 and 70-200 f2.8 at moment but the 50 has a new lease of life on a FX body due to it not having the 1.5x multiplier of the D300.
Low light performance is amazing.
Have a Nikon 28-120 and Tamron 28-75 f2.8 coming this week too.
Happy days!

I've only got the 24-85mm 50mm next after I sell my d700 and 17-55mm 2.8

I did look at the d600 but everyone seem to agree with you the d700 was better.

Well...

Three years ago I switched from D700 to D600 an while it was a step back in terms of controls and autofocus, it was a noticeable step up in IQ.

Even today looking at my RAWs from these days I can see the difference. No chance I can pull shadows on D700 RAWs same way as I can do with D600 files. Or have same number of details.

D3/D700 were remarkable cameras, but still the Exmor Sony sensor from the D600 is generations newer and had twice as many pixels and at least two extra stops of dynamic range compared to the first gen from the D700. Obviously if all you need is decent 6x4" prints or 2k JPEGs for FB you might not see the difference, but these extra pixels do matter.

The D600 was a flawed camera in many ways that never had the reputation of rock-solid D700, but its IQ was top notch.

Last edited:
I'll also add a thumbs up for the D700. I upgraded to it from a D300s back in 2010 and was amazed at its image quality. Even though I now mainly shoot a D800 the D700 images are still superb and I still use it as a second body for events.

I bit the bullet got a d700 with a 16k shutter count and have to admit I prefer the images from it.

Back