D700 or wait.....

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys,

Moneys been burning a hole in my pocket,I really want a D3 but can't afford it yet.
I am about £900 off
I could afford a D700 and buy a grip later once i can afford it.
Is it as good a camera as the D3 for Lowlight/sports....

I shoot gigs quite a lot so thats where the D3 has hinted it might be the one.

Thanks

I have the D700 and I have not looked back, I go out for shoots often with Edinburgh Gary who has the D3 the pictures are great from both cameras get the D700 and get it NOW hope that helps.

Michael.

Diego Garcia was selling his d3. he wanted 2k. don't know if its still for sale but try him! you might get you D3 after all.:)

Plus I already have the 24-70 so i can take advantage of the full frame ness....

If I buy a D3 i would rather go Brand new hopefully with the warrenty.
On ebay they have went from 2k new to 2.3k new
Roughly...

I'd say go for the D700, You can get the grip (if its needed) later.

5fps is plenty for most sports and if you need the extra, you can get 8 with the grip. In fact theres a way to get 8 fps on the D700 without a grip, but only for a limited number of shots.

The other advantage is that when you want to travel 'light' you can leave the grip at home.

I've never been one for using grips with cameras - it just does not suit my style of shooting.

You will lose a couple of % of the viewfinder image of the D3 with the D700, but you gain a dust redustion system, so its not all bad.

I'd go for the D700 as well.

However if you do plan to put a grip on the D700, in that case I'd be more inclined the the D3.

Image quality is identical so both the D700 and D3 are quite good.

Someone is flogging a D3 in the back of AP for £1900 no can't remember how much the D700 is offhand.

I know someone flogging a D3 to get the 5D MKII in my Camera Club. £1700 IIRC from the notice board.

As the two are essentially the same (sensor at least)

An extract from DPReview, the D700 compared to D3...
Smaller, lighter body *
Built-in iTTL flash (G.No 17 / ISO 200)
No rear information panel (new info display on main LCD)
D700 doesn't have the D3's 5:4 aspect ratio option
95% coverage, 0.72x viewfinder (D3: 100% / 0.7x)
Focus screen DX mode now indicated with a rectangle rather than shaded area
Lower burst rate (5.0 fps / 8.0 fps with optional MB-D10)
100 frames maximum in continuous shooting mode
Smaller battery (EN-EL3e)
Optional battery grip (MB-D10, same as D300)
Expanded Function button options (can assign any camera menu item)
Live View can be assigned to FUNC, AE-L or Preview buttons (allowing LV + different drive modes)
Virtual Horizon can be overlaid on Live View preview image
Different shutter (150,000 cycle rating - same as D300)
Image Sensor cleaning ('sensor shake' dust reduction)
Single CF slot (D3 has two)
Minor menu and control differences (control layout is almost identical to D300)
* D700 is approx 34mm (1.3 in) shorter, 13mm (0.5 in) narrower and 10mm (0.4 in) shallower.
Weight (no battery) : D3 - 1240g, D700 - 995g

Like stressless I went for a D700 and haven't regretted it. Granted I shoot sports as well but not all the time, so the grip is on only when I do. If you're a dedicated sports than that extra 1FPS on the D3 would be good, but if not I think the D700 is a tad bit more flexible.

If it was me, I'd get the D700 over a D3 anyway, regardless of cost. It's much smaller and lighter, has a handy built-in flash, and when you stick a grip on it, does everything I would want from a D3 anyway. All that, and it's cheaper!

D3 is an amazing machine; D700 is even better :)

Richard (still clinging on to his Canons... :( )

D3 is a pro body - feels completely different - wait for the D3!

I was totally into going for the D700 until i read the last comment....
The D3 is a pro body,there is a few extras on the top of it,but it will take the punishment and abuse.
I have one pro lens so many aswell save the extra and buy something that I really want....
D3 is the way to go.
I hate having the money just sitting there but I have waited this long may as well hold out for another few months.
Unless i win the lottery then its drinks all round:clap:

I seriously wouldn't worry about buying secondhand. I did with my D3 and have no regrets at all. Most togs look after their gear. (if not pamper!)
Anyway its worth a look and you'll soon be able to tell if its had a hard life. Get out there a buy one! ;)

Kev.

Surley the second hand price of the D3 will come down slightly once the D3x is around and a few more hit the used market?

I have two D3 that I bought 'second hand' - one from a fellow pro (7,000 clicks) and one with only 250 clicks on it. Look around and you'll pick one up from around £2K now.

Surley the second hand price of the D3 will come down slightly once the D3x is around and a few more hit the used market?

Yes, I think it'll come down a little. But they're aimed at two different markets - or perhaps three, if you include the 'Oh no, my camera has suddenly become outdated and I need to run out and buy whatever the top of the range is!' crew.

Yes, I think it'll come down a little. But they're aimed at two different markets - or perhaps three, if you include the 'Oh no, my camera has suddenly become outdated and I need to run out and buy whatever the top of the range is!' crew.

That's the market i was thinking of :LOL:

They are different markets.

The D3X is only 1.5fps at 14bit, whereas the D3 will do 9 or 10 fps full whack. So if you shoot sports you'll probably keep the D3 anyhow.

I don't really know why anyone would sell a D3 to get a D3X.

Anyhow, the D700x is going to be more expensive than the D3 realistically - a lot of folks will hold out for that.

What are the main differences between the d700 and the d700x?

Just speculation on my part, as I don't know of anybody testing one of these (and normally I do get wind before hand)

I think its safe to assume they will do to the D700x what they did to the D3 - sensor transplant into the current body.

Just speculation on my part, as I don't know of anybody testing one of these (and normally I do get wind before hand)

I think its safe to assume they will do to the D700x what they did to the D3 - sensor transplant into the current body.

So we would be talking on the lines of 24mp iso100 base like D3x and Sony A900?

So we would be talking on the lines of 24mp iso100 base like D3x and Sony A900?

Yep - the big problem here is that because of the unexpected price on the D3X, the D700x price may also shock people pricewise.

I can see the D700x coming in at £3k+ now.

If D700x price is too low, it'll pee off D3X owners, especially as I'll come out July / August 2009 only 7 months on.

If its too high, it'll pee of a lot of other folks too holding out for a high megapixel small body camera.

Its going to be interesting..!

I was totally into going for the D700 until i read the last comment....
The D3 is a pro body,there is a few extras on the top of it,but it will take the punishment and abuse.

'Tis true, a D3 is a D3. If that's what you really want, there's no substitute for the ultimate SLR right now :) Until the D4 comes along of course... :LOL:

Only joking - the D3 is the first landmark camera for a few years and will stand its ground longer than most. I'm seriously wondering how Nikon will improve on it - the D3x certainly doesn't do it for me.

Richard.

They are different markets.

The D3X is only 1.5fps at 14bit, whereas the D3 will do 9 or 10 fps full whack. So if you shoot sports you'll probably keep the D3 anyhow.

I don't really know why anyone would sell a D3 to get a D3X.

Anyhow, the D700x is going to be more expensive than the D3 realistically - a lot of folks will hold out for that.

My wedding tog is going to.....

I suspect many more will too

Gonna hold out for the D3,I was swayed by the D700 but i would rather go for the top one when I can afford it.
thanks everyone for your input

Back