D700 question

Edit My Images
Yes
Just got a low milage d700 im really pleased with the quality of the images but if you set manual mode and the camera goes into sleep mode or is turned off it reverts back to aperture priority is this normal?

That's a bit odd.
Mine certainly doesn't do that.
Can't think of any user changeable setting that would make it do that either.
Have you tried doing a full reset, and starting from scratch?

That's a bit odd.
Mine certainly doesn't do that.
Can't think of any user changeable setting that would make it do that either.
Have you tried doing a full reset, and starting from scratch?
I will do a reset tonight it's really thrown me I was doing some ocf of a new born with the camera on manual while the mum was sorting out Jacob (a few minutes ) I went to take a shot low and behold back to a/P. :thinking:

So if you set yours to manual then turn of the camera does it start up in manual again?

Last edited:
Yes.
I use mine 90% of the time in manual, and if not, it's usually in aperture priority.
But when I turn it back on, it's always in the same mode as when I turned it off.
Does anything else get "reset when turning back on?
My thoughts here is maybe the small battery which powers the chip inside the camera (clock, settings etc) may be flat.
I know this "chip battery" can't be recharged per se, but keeping a fully charged battery in the camera should charge it up.
I may be talking rubbish here, but I'm grasping at straws TBH.

Yes.
I use mine 90% of the time in manual, and if not, it's usually in aperture priority.
But when I turn it back on, it's always in the same mode as when I turned it off.
My thoughts here is maybe the small battery which powers the chip inside the camera (clock, settings etc) may be flat.
I know this "chip battery" can't be recharged per se, but keeping a fully charged battery in the camera should charge it up.
Will check it out thanks.(y)

Yes.
One test would be to see if the onboard clock has changed too, ... but that sounds plausible to me.

Just checked mine too; I only got it a few weeks ago. Acts "normally" I'm afraid.

Well done a reset and no joy called nikon they say it's definitely a fault so looks like it's back to eBay for a refund and start looking again:(

Well done a reset and no joy called nikon they say it's definitely a fault so looks like it's back to eBay for a refund and start looking again:(

Sorry to hear that. Might it be worth getting a quote from Fixation or similar, it might be a small job?

Just an update had to start an eBay case as the seller won't accept the return so I will keep you posted, met 3 other people with d700's none of theirs do the same thing.

Fixation want nearly £200 to look at it and Nikon techs have no idea what the problem is its not the internal battery as time and date are fine.

Last edited:
Back