D700 Reset To Factory Conditions

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

Does anyone know how to reset the D700 to factory install?

Regards

Chris

Find the two green dots on the • QUAL and +/-• buttons on the left and right of the top of the camera. Hold them both down for a few seconds. The top LCD blinks and everything is back to normal

Find the two green dots on the • QUAL and +/-• buttons on the left and right of the top of the camera. Hold them both down for a few seconds. The top LCD blinks and everything is back to normal

Hi V8Burble,

That does not seem to put everything back to factory conditions. Tried it already.

Regards

Chris

The green buttons do a select few settings that you might miss. WB and ISO for example.
I wonder if re-installing the firmware would do it?

Which other settings are you trying to reset? Can you not just go to the custom settings menu and reset there?

Which other settings are you trying to reset? Can you not just go to the custom settings menu and reset there?

Hi,

What I am trying to do, is put the camera back to factory default. I feel there must be a way of doing this.

Best regards

Chris

Does it not tell you how to do it in the manual?

Hi,

No unfortunately and with the lack of anyone else knowing on the forum and Nikon Cafe, I am beginning to wonder if it is possible!

Will contact Nikon directly.

Regards

Chris

take out all the batteries
including the little "remember the date" one
leave for 24 hours

ought to fix it

I was going to say the same thing, but is that battery not buried deep inside?

I still don't understand what you are trying to reset that you can't reset from the menus? For them not to be at factory settings then they must have been set via the menus by the previous owner, no.

Once reset, surely you will be going through the custom settings and setup menus to set them as you want them anyway, so why not just run down through the menus anyway and change what you want to change?

Maybe I'm just easily confused :shrug:

I still don't understand what you are trying to reset that you can't reset from the menus? For them not to be at factory settings then they must have been set via the menus by the previous owner, no.

Once reset, surely you will be going through the custom settings and setup menus to set them as you want them anyway, so why not just run down through the menus anyway and change what you want to change?

Maybe I'm just easily confused :shrug:

Hi,

I have tried the re sets and it does not get rid of everything. I cannot be sure that a setting somewhere is causing my pics to over expose. So it seemed easier to start from scratch.

Regards

Chris

take out all the batteries
including the little "remember the date" one
leave for 24 hours

ought to fix it

Hi Mike,

Thanks for that, might be worth looking into, if I can remember where that hidden battery is!!

Regards

Chris

Hi All,

I have an answer from Nikon. Looks like you where right V8burble:

Dear Chris,

Thank you for contacting Nikon Support regarding your D700.

The D700 does not have an overall factory reset button, however you can attain by doing a number of resets. The first reset can be done using the following method:

2 Button Reset:
1. Press and hold the 2 buttons at the top of the camera with a green dot beside each.
2. Keep these held for about 2 seconds.
3. Once the screen starts flashing it can be released.
4. The camera will then be reset to P-Mode.

You can then perform a reset in Shooting Menu and in The Customs Setting Menu. This should be the 2nd option in each of the aforementioned menus. These resets will need to be performed in each of the Shooting and Custom Setting Menu Banks.

Please refer to pages 196, 271 and 282 of the user manual for more details regarding the above reset options.

If you have any further queries, please contact us by clicking on the link above to update this incident.

Hope that helps anyone else trying to do the same.

Regards

Chris

Are you still getting the over-exposure issue?

Have you tried fine tuning exposure, I pretty much always have mine at -0.3EV and -0.7EV, you can fine tune in 0.5EV increments, which might work nicely.

Are you still getting the over-exposure issue?

Have you tried fine tuning exposure, I pretty much always have mine at -0.3EV and -0.7EV, you can fine tune in 0.5EV increments, which might work nicely.

Hi Andy,

Most definitely getting the over exposure which is one of the reasons I want to factory re set. I worked out a couple of errors I have made which have been improved by going Matrix and as you say -0.7 seems to solve the exposure problem. Just wanted to start from a level playing field.

Hopefully will get time over the weekend to start fresh!

Regards

Chris

Back